Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

mister_eff

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I was one of the people that jumped on board the D600 deals. 4000 shutter actuations later, I do have some dust. It's not crazy, but enough for me to want to get it cleaned (especially since the dust doesn't accumulate as rapidly with time). I don't have any experience cleaning sensors myself, and while I'm willing to experiment, I don't want my first foray to be with the new D600. So, I'd like to just send it to Nikon or whomever to get it cleaned.

But, how do I do that? When I went to the Nikon website, I couldn't find out how to do that. When I went to the service/repair section for the D600, sensor cleaning wasn't one of the immediate options (they were: bent pins, error message, exposure problem, etc.). Do I have to fill in the additional details, or is there somewhere else I can go to request the sensor cleaning?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

shipping to Nikon with insurance is way more expensive than buying sensor cleaning kit. Maybe you can watch online sensor cleaning video to see if you can DIY? I did dry cleaning before( using sensor brush) and it was easy. For wet cleaning method, I think it should be easy as well. and I will try it when my D600 has enough dust.

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:33 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

There are camera places in your area that will clean them, a quick google search will do the job

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:33 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I'd either take it to a local shop, or order some sensor swabs from b&h...it's not really rocket science, and sensors arent as fragile as you think, when you're using the right tools...there are tons of videos on youtube demonstrating sensor swabs...

Dec 31, 2012 at 06:35 PM
rangefindr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I read somewhere that Nikon is offering free shipping there and back on D600s that have dirty sensors.. anyone know if it's true?

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

If it is a recall from Nikon, the shipping maybe free.
can we sigh up this website to escalate the issue in the U.S market?

http://www.change.org/petitions/nikon-nikon-d600-dust-on-sensor

Dec 31, 2012 at 07:21 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Sensor cleaning is like window cleaning with a squeegie... The first time you get streaks, then with practice you become a pro window washer.

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:14 PM
thedruid
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Get used to it, you will need lots of swabs and cleaning fluid...top left corner is the worst area...more shite QC from Nikon

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I use cleaning system offered by "Copper Hill Images". The cost is just about $30, any local camera shop charges that much or more for just SINGLE cleaning. Witht he Copper Hill kit, maybe 100 times? or even more.

I'm posting their website here; http://www.copperhillimages.com/
If not approriate, please delte the link.

As they say, you're worried you might scratch your sensor the first time, but once get used to it, it's no biggy.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I also bought my copper hill kits 2 years ago, but I didn't get a chance to use it.
Right now, I guess I will use a lot on my D600 until the issue is gone.

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:47 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/84/d600-dustoillubrican

This is the discussion from NR forum

RE: Nikon D600, B2 - "Moderate repair: Major parts replaced. I sent in my D600 to Nikon, Los Angeles after 1500 shots because of significant spots on the sensor, far more than I had on my D7000 with 5000 shots. I should have my camera back in a few days. Nikon listed the service category as: B2 - "Moderate repair: Major parts replaced." I emailed Nikon and asked what major parts they replaced and why and they have not yet replied. Does anyone have an idea what Nikon actually did to my camera for B2 service ? Does this solve the spots on sensor problem?

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:11 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Is the self-cleaning feature not working?

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

self cleaning feature won't clean the tough stain, when you check buy and sell section, you will notice a lot of ppl are selling their D600s. Anyways, I only have 2 solutions:
1. send to Nikon for the clean service, maybe they will replace part inside.
2. Do wet clean by yourself, and hope Nikon will have a recall in future.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:43 PM
zippy_monster
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Jun Zhou wrote:
http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/84/d600-dustoillubrican

This is the discussion from NR forum

RE: Nikon D600, B2 - "Moderate repair: Major parts replaced. I sent in my D600 to Nikon, Los Angeles after 1500 shots because of significant spots on the sensor, far more than I had on my D7000 with 5000 shots. I should have my camera back in a few days. Nikon listed the service category as: B2 - "Moderate repair: Major parts replaced." I emailed Nikon and asked what major parts they replaced and why and they have not yet replied. Does anyone have an idea what Nikon actually did to my
...Show more

I wonder if they're replacing the mirror box. My main concern with simply removing the contamination from the sensor is this: if the oil is coming from a part that should be lubricated, will that part experience premature wear as the lubricant ends up elsewhere?

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:16 AM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

even if there was no dust problem, the self-cleaning feature isn't perfect. Any dslr owner should know how to clean their own camera sensors.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

zippy_monster wrote:
I wonder if they're replacing the mirror box. My main concern with simply removing the contamination from the sensor is this: if the oil is coming from a part that should be lubricated, will that part experience premature wear as the lubricant ends up elsewhere?

My concern is not about oil or dust. I worry about the parts wearing, such as gear wheel, and whether the dust( or debris?) will scratch the cmos in future with the shutter curtain open/close motion

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:04 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Before you send it out to be cleaned,
I would and have bought a little rubber bulb blower.
Beware canned air. You can damage your camera.
Turn the camera face down after cleaning the outside, raising the mirror, and removing the lens.
Gentle squeeze the bulb and you will not hurt anything and probably will clean the camera filter that lays on top of the Sensor.
Worst case, you will have to send it in.

You can buy the liquid and swab kit. Then squeegee off the dirt your self.
Problem is that there is no where for the dirt to go.
Unlike a smaller Sensor, the FullFrame one fills the box.
Good luck removing that dirt.
My local shop has a special vacuum for that, so does Nikon.

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:37 AM
JCLittle

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Does anyone know if the referenced Copper Hill Images kit will clean oil from the sensor or should this go back to Nikon or a dealer to be done? I have a few spots on my D4. Thanks.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:23 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Sensor cleaning is simple and easy with Sensor Swabs & Eclipse fluid. The reason people get freaked out about it is they think they are touching the sensor itself. Actually there is s sheet of protective glass (and other filters) in front of it that you actually touch. And with the proper sized Sensor Swab it is simply one swipe across a sheet of glass. Couldn't be more simple or more safe. Just do it.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:44 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I ' ll do it 4 free! serious just do it you can't break it. Cleaning your car is more difficult.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.