Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Aqualung
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Shot HS girls hoops, went early to get some JV as well (one of the Moms buys pix )

Stood a bit more for the JV game...went low for Varsity. Varsity was undefeated and seeded #1, while visiting blue was also undefeated and #2 seed; Varsity (white) lost 59-49.

Chris

JV

Varsity

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:01 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #2 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Chris,

You've got some nice sharp shots here. For ISO 8000-10000, the light looks really clean and even (either that or LR 4 is being very very good to you....) Love any gym that is not sodium vapor lights.

Here's my take on what you have. I want to see more faces -- specifically look at number 1, 5, 8 & 10. A lot of half faces or partials, but not many where you can easily recognize who the player is. It's a fine line between action when you are trying to capture peak action -- but if you can wait a split second and anticipate, I think you'll have more luck. I tend to talk to the players (in my head only) when I shoot -- almost asking them to turn their face to me -- and then start shooting just as they turn. If I wait until I see their eyes, it is often too late.

Color looks really good. 1/800th is plenty fast enough to freeze action. Have you tried dropping back to 1/640th (or even 1/500th) for the girls. Might allow you to drop the ISO down below 6400 and give you even cleaner files from the start. Should be fast enough SS to still freeze 'em nicely.

The only other thing I would suggest is take the 70-200 with you and put it on for a quarter or 2 -- and the 300. That's my plan for the next game. Shoot 1st quarter with 24-70, 2nd quarter with 70-200, 3rd with 300 and then whichever one you liked best for the final quarter. Force yourself to get something good with every lense.

As for my favorites, 9, 2 & 6 (in that order.) Love how tight you are on 9 -- and the square crop adds a nice balance. Really like the color, tone, WB and sharpness of number 4, but I am not crazy about the crop. I know you were trying to leave net for sake of reference, but I don't think anyone expects the action above the rim in the girls' game. Crop it tighter and I think it might be my favorite of the whole bunch.

Keep 'em coming. Some real winners here. Nice set.

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #3 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Thanks for the detailed critique Rick, will try for more complete faces next outing; I tell them to drop their arms

I may try 1/640 next outing, w/ the girls...for the boys, I've had blur that I didn't like. I have been shooting a lot more w/ the 70-200, but am going to bring my 300 next outing as well as get up higher.

Good thought about the girls game vs boys (action above the rim), it definitely doesn't happen for the most part.

Chris

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:37 PM
HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

rddayton wrote:
Chris,

You've got some nice sharp shots here. For ISO 8000-10000, the light looks really clean and even (either that or LR 4 is being very very good to you....) Love any gym that is not sodium vapor lights.

Here's my take on what you have. I want to see more faces -- specifically look at number 1, 5, 8 & 10. A lot of half faces or partials, but not many where you can easily recognize who the player is. It's a fine line between action when you are trying to capture peak action -- but if you can wait
...Show more

That is an exceptional critique. Wish more here willing to be as helpful.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:04 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #5 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

nice looking shots Chris!

I have the same problem with arms! I have a few I cover regularly and they all have their arms so close to their faces during a shot that then cover half their face as the ball leaves their hands. They never listen!

You caught some great action/blocks for this age group. These games seem to be so unpredictable week to week.

looking forward to seeing your next set with your longer glass and elevated positions . Happy new year!

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #6 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

hey thanks, I'm shooting boys this week, so should get some decent action at the rim.

Same back to you...

Chris

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mikekel
• • •
p.1 #7 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Looks like I'll see you at that game after all, assuming the officials show up this time

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:26 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #8 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

that's for sure...what a disappointment that was!

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:20 PM
matt.garnett
• •
p.1 #9 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Looks like a pretty good set. Clean files and nice colors. I definitely think that #4 is the weakest photo though, because with the opponents hand right in the main subject's face negates the good frozen action. Everything else looks good though, keep it up.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #10 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

thanks, working at it

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:30 AM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #11 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Nice shots! only one suggestion, try working on moving background pictures, they create more motion orientation and so the pictures look interesting

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 01:16 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #12 · HS Girls Basketball (JV & Varsity)

Thanks, not sure what you mean by 'moving background pictures', can you clarify/show an example?

Chris

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:52 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password