Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

rongoe
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

I updated EOS utility to the latest (2.12.3.1) due to my recent T4i purchase (thank's to Fred's notification of the B&H $599 kit deal).

Unfortunately, my 5D classic now triggers EOS utility to report "Failed to communicate with camera..."

Anyone else encounter problems with the 5Dc (or other old bodies) with the latest EOS utility? Any solutions?

This problem is on MacOS 10.6.8.

Thanks

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:57 AM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

I've given up on trying to get my 5D talking with newer software/operating systems. I just have a CF reader now and that seems to get the job done.

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:03 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

But can you get cf readers to customize the imported file name with date, camera, etc?

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:55 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

The latest EOS utility doesn't work...the 5D dropped off the list of supported cameras......I found one from an earlier camera (might have been a 40D) and that is fine.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Canon has a bad habit of dropping support for Mac users. All of my Canon scanners no longer work on 10.8. They still work fine on PCs, although some don't work on Windows 8 either.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Paul Gardner wrote:
Canon has a bad habit of dropping support for Mac users. All of my Canon scanners no longer work on 10.8. They still work fine on PCs, although some don't work on Windows 8 either.

True, my Canon scanner drivers were obsolete within a year and were never fixed. I eventually bought a copy of Sliverfast and my 2002 FS4000US film scanner works great under OS 10.8.2. My Epson 2400 flatbed scanner is of similar vintage and Epson never ported the apps to run under Intel only OS 10.8x. However, it works fine for basic scans with Apple's generic "Image Scan" app.

As to the 5D, Canon stopped supporting tethering and similar computer connection functions a couple years back. RAW file conversion is still supported in DPP. Realize tethering and uploads are supported in aftermarket apps like Aperture and Lightroom. Most of us don't bother to load EOS Utility as it's completely useless save for writing your name in the camera's EXIF data.

But, yes, a Firewire 800 or USB3 card reader is the way to go. Direct uploads via 5D wire are silly slow.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:28 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Yes, I had a problem with the software on my 5D when I got my 5D2. I meant to call Canon about it, but never got around to it. That's crazy that it's not supported.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:32 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

2.7.2 is the version you need for the 5D, but it doesn't support the latest cameras or bugfixes.

Apple's Image Capture, which comes with Macs, has some tethering support.

More details:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=15281376&postcount=5

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:15 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

I didn't know Apple's Image Capture does tethering too. That app is a bit of a hidden jewel as it also works with almost any scanner.

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:56 PM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Thanks. I'll try image capture. So lame that canon can't retain support with new versions.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:22 PM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Image Capture in MacOS dumps all images into ~/Pictures/ and doesn't seem to have options to do otherwise.

ImageBrowser EX (from Canon) has a Memory Card Utility that imports from card reader and can put the images into files according to user selected folder names (date based). Unfortunately, it does not also allow the filename itself to be renamed based on date and/or camera body. But at least it gets in the same folder as EOS Utility would put it in.

I suppose Aperture would allow renaming the file, but buying Aperture for that when I'm content with DPP for my raw processing seems silly.

Anyone know how to read the EXIF and rename the file using a simple unix script? Shouldn't be hard, but I don't want to bother reinventing the wheel.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:50 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Dang... EOS Utility 2.12.3 dropped support for the 1d2n as well
Isn't the 2n still officially supported by canon (i.e., serviceable)?
This is very annoying.

Jan 13, 2013 at 08:35 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

Gochugogi wrote:
But, yes, a Firewire 800 or USB3 card reader is the way to go. Direct uploads via 5D wire are silly slow.

Take note that only the Mac Pro, Mac mini and Macbook Pro without Retina Display retains Firewire port of any kind. There is a dongle for it to attach to a Thunderbolt port but the speed is a fraction of what it was and does not supply bus power to run a bus-powered peripheral.

My 9000f is still supported by Canon but I rather run 3rd party apps as they are much more robust.2

Jan 13, 2013 at 09:32 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EOS Utility 2.12.3 support for 5D classic?

ok, here's my last post on this, which probably comes as a relief to most on the forum as this is admittedly a boring topic...

I mostly care about getting the date and camera body into the filename, so I use the Memory Card Utility of Canon's ImageBrowser EX to put the images into folders/directories named with shoot date. I then run the following unix shell script (since MacOS *is* Unix) at a shell command prompt:

----------------------------- contents of an executable file I call cr2rename -----------------------
#!/bin/bash
# rename .CR2 file to include directory (which should be shooting date) and camera as inputted on command line

for file in `ls IMG*.CR2`
do
mv $file "${PWD##*/}_$1_$file"
done
----------------------------------------------

Example: at prompt in directory 2012_12_25 I type " cr2rename 5D"
and filenames IMG_1234 and IMG_1235 become
2012_12_25_5D_IMG_1234 and
2012_12_25_5D_IMG_1235

Not fancy but it works. Would have been much easier for me had Canon retained compatibility with ALL past bodies, but whatever...

Jan 14, 2013 at 09:35 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.