Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Just a few from today with the new camera

No ANgle
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Got to Bonelli Park today in search of the Bald Eagle and I did see it but only got a picture of the its rear end as it flew away from me and off into the distance. Maybe another day. I did get these 3 though. I took a bunch of picks trying to figure out the 1d4 and how the AF system works. I had issues getting consistant focus with small birds using center point or center point + surrounding AF points. Anyway hope these look ok. I had to a lot of cloning and spot healing in the osprey picture because someone was nice enough to fill the tree with tangled fishing line. there was some that stretched in along its left side that I had to deal with in the feather area. the Coopers was way up im a tall tree and i was maybe 50ft back from the tree.

I had not much luck with any in flight shots. I guess I still need to practice with this camera. I am better with the 7D since I know it well.

http://racefan.smugmug.com/Birds/Wildlife/i-thhS842/0/X3/GBH%20bonelli%20park-X3.jpg

http://racefan.smugmug.com/Birds/Wildlife/i-s6DZcqW/0/X2/Osprey%20Bonelli%20Park%20retouched-X2.jpg

http://racefan.smugmug.com/Birds/Wildlife/i-MF4Mxb7/0/X3/coopers%20hawk%20bonellis%20park-X3.jpg

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:30 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just a few from today with the new camera

These look nice No. I found the 1D4 gave me a better keeper rate than the 7D right away, but I'm still sending it in for a check and clean ~ Ron

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:25 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Good results from the new body. More to come I hope.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:49 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Congrats on the new camera. PS: Great shots

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:04 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just a few from today with the new camera

the first 2 are beauties. Enjoy the new camera

Morris

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:11 PM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Thanks all, I hope to get some better shots of BIF. I need to figure out how to setup the AF properly for that though. I think my current settings are not correct.

@Ted Do you have any suggestions for the AF? I tried several different things yesterday and I got mixed results. Nothing that I was super pleased with.

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:50 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Congratulations on the new camera. Wonderful shots. Love no 1

Birdie

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:52 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just a few from today with the new camera

nice ones.. congrats on the new body

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:08 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just a few from today with the new camera

What I did was google "1D mark IV autofucus settings" and then I made a list comparing what different shooters were using. Lots of the custom functions were the same and some were different. I then tried to figure why there were differences and adjusted my settings to my "style" ~ Ron

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:16 PM
jwestfall
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Congrats on the new camera - it's looking like you are sorting out the new AF system nicely. #1 is my pick - great detail.

- Jim

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

No ANgle
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just a few from today with the new camera

surfnron wrote:
What I did was google "1D mark IV autofucus settings" and then I made a list comparing what different shooters were using. Lots of the custom functions were the same and some were different. I then tried to figure why there were differences and adjusted my settings to my "style" ~ Ron

Ya I have done that to. I am finding that the loss of reach and a couple less megapixels is most likely my issue with how much detail I see. Clearly it would have to resolve less detail with less reach at similar shooting distances as with my 7D. The big advantage to teh 1d is the contrast and noise performance along with it being able to AF at F8. Also the Ai servo is better.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:33 AM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Thanks to the others that commented. I hope to get some more interesting shots soon. I have yet to find an area that makes it getting in flight pics of raptors possible. I see RTH's all over but they are never low enough and I am in a busy city area where they perch along crazy freeways so I cant get to them. Maybe my new spot i went to last weekend will give me more oppotunity since they are all there but the place is huge and tons of tall trees for them to hide in.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:35 AM
probishaw

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just a few from today with the new camera

#1!!!

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Congrats on the new body, I'm sure once you are used to it you will be in love. Mine has close to half million clicks on it, it's a wonderful body. Your static shots are looking really good for the first day using it. My suggestions for settings are reset it back to the factory defaults. Once you understand how it works with the defaults then customize if you think something needs to change. The factory setting are pretty damn good, I have hardly changed mine.

Tim

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:10 AM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Congrats on the new body, I'm sure once you are used to it you will be in love. Mine has close to half million clicks on it, it's a wonderful body. Your static shots are looking really good for the first day using it. My suggestions for settings are reset it back to the factory defaults. Once you understand how it works with the defaults then customize if you think something needs to change. The factory setting are pretty damn good, I have hardly changed mine.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Ya it was at default settings when I got it and i amde simple changes for back button focus and changed the servo speed to slow and set it on center point only. Not sure what else I am missing setting wise for BIF. I need more reach again as I did before, it never ends. I may break down and get a 600mm at some point. The 400 5.6 is nice but just not for every situation which is how I use it with birds. I want to use a TC still but I think it may degrade IQ too much with the 400 5.6. I have only been shooting for a year and still ahve tons to learn.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:45 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Woohoo

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:08 AM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Conrad Tan wrote:
Woohoo

Thanks! Now Can I with you to your special spot?lol I really want to see what this camera can do with some awesome raptors. Around here they stay well away from people usually.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:16 AM
tinyfishy
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Very nice set and congrats on the new toy.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just a few from today with the new camera

These look very good. Clean and sharp! You won't have any problems with AF tracking of the MkIV once you'll get used to the new camera. The 7D is actually more demanding than the MkIV and I know what you mean about reach I take regularly the 7D with the 400/5.6 and the MkIV with the 70-300L with me and when I need reach I always "reach" for the 7D
Like Tim said leave the Defaul Settings: they should be your starting point. The only CF I would change is the CFIII-2, the tracking speed sensitivity, to see which setting gives you the max number of keepers according to your style of shooting.
The Canon guide to AI servo AF custom functions is very confusing as it is setting the CF. This is why Canon changed it in the newly released cameras.
One thing you should also know is that C.Fn III-4 set to '0' (or "1") negates the AI servo tracking sensitivity setting (C.Fn III-2). However, that is correct only if you have enabled the AF expansion with the CF III-8. With CF III-8 set to "0" (Disabled) the CF III-4 will be inactive and the AF will behave according to setting of the CF III-2.
All this will make no or little difference if you shoot short bursts of frames and regain focus again and so on..... and that is my style of shooting.
Congrats on your new camera!
Socrate

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:57 PM
No ANgle
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just a few from today with the new camera

Shasoc wrote:
These look very good. Clean and sharp! You won't have any problems with AF tracking of the MkIV once you'll get used to the new camera. The 7D is actually more demanding than the MkIV and I know what you mean about reach I take regularly the 7D with the 400/5.6 and the MkIV with the 70-300L with me and when I need reach I always "reach" for the 7D
Like Tim said leave the Defaul Settings: they should be your starting point. The only CF I would change is the CFIII-2, the tracking speed sensitivity, to see which setting gives
...Show more

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password