Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

How can I use exposure compensation with manual exposure on a 5D Mark III? E.g. 1/250 second f/4 exposure +1. Obviously this is only useful with Auto ISO. The exposure compensation setting appears to be turned off by design with manual exposure. I see a grayed out setting on one menu. Any way to get it back?

I use this a lot on Nikon.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

You cant afik.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:26 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

No such way still to this day... even though Canon has offered many different variations of auto-ISO in manual mode for years now.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Not sure about Nikon bodies but on Canon bodies when your in manual you control 3 parameters - ISO, aperture and shutter speed so exposure compensation isn't used at all. In aperture priority you set the aperture and ISO and the camera will set the shutter speed based on your exposure compensation. In shutter priority mode you set the shutter speed and ISO and the camera will set the aperture based on your exposure compensation.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:31 AM
TeamSpeed
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

dmcharg wrote:
Not sure about Nikon bodies but on Canon bodies when your in manual you control 3 parameters - ISO, aperture and shutter speed so exposure compensation isn't used at all. In aperture priority you set the aperture and ISO and the camera will set the shutter speed based on your exposure compensation. In shutter priority mode you set the shutter speed and ISO and the camera will set the aperture based on your exposure compensation.

The question is in relation to auto ISO that would beg a new mode where you control aperture and shutter, and let the camera choose ISO. In this new "mode", you would want EC like you would for Av and Tv. Or allow a way in the camera to adjust EC in M mode when ISO is set to auto...

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
How can I use exposure compensation with manual exposure on a 5D Mark III? E.g. 1/250 second f/4 exposure +1. Obviously this is only useful with Auto ISO. The exposure compensation setting appears to be turned off by design with manual exposure. I see a grayed out setting on one menu. Any way to get it back?

I use this a lot on Nikon.

Not possible, other than going into custom functions and applying an overall + or - bias to the metering, which is not practical for what you probably want - too slow.
Options:
1. Av mode (or Tv) with auto ISO. Exposure comp works normally.
2. Manual exposure, and adjust ISO yourself as exposure comp.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:38 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

It really does need it.

ANY time your relying on camera metering you should have an exp comp option.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

TeamSpeed wrote:
The question is in relation to auto ISO that would beg a new mode where you control aperture and shutter, and let the camera choose ISO. In this new "mode", you would want EC like you would for Av and Tv. Or allow a way in the camera to adjust EC in M mode when ISO is set to auto...

There is already a custom setting to choose what the dials do in M mode, but there are only two dials and three things I want to set. On Nikon DSLRs you hold down the exposure compensation button and turn a wheel. Canon doesn't have a dedicated exposure compensation button.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Photon wrote:
1. Av mode (or Tv) with auto ISO. Exposure comp works normally.
2. Manual exposure, and adjust ISO yourself as exposure comp.

Is it possible to change the target shutter speed for auto ISO? On Nikon there is a menu to choose between specific speeds (e.g. 1/30, 1/250) and auto based on focal length and crop factor.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:44 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
there are only two dials and three things I want to set. On Nikon DSLRs you hold down the exposure compensation button and turn a wheel. Canon doesn't have a dedicated exposure compensation button.

I realize this isn't what you're asking for, but since you do shoot in M mode, would it be helpful if you mapped your "SET" button to adjust ISO? That way, when you press "SET" and turn the top wheel, you can quickly adjust ISO just like you're adjusting shutter speed and aperture. I know it isn't EC like you're asking for, but your quote above made me think that this might work for you.

Dec 31, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

mitesh wrote:
I realize this isn't what you're asking for, but since you do shoot in M mode, would it be helpful if you mapped your "SET" button to adjust ISO? That way, when you press "SET" and turn the top wheel, you can quickly adjust ISO just like you're adjusting shutter speed and aperture. I know it isn't EC like you're asking for, but your quote above made me think that this might work for you.

One problem I'm trying to solve is subject walks/flies from sunlight into shade and I want to keep shooting with good exposure. SET+wheel makes the adjustmen faster but I don't think it will be fast enough. I've set it anyway because I didn't have anything assigned to SET. I'll have to try and see how useful it is for setting up more static shots.

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:01 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Would it work for you to program two of your custom modes, each manual mode but with an overall different exposure. Might be faster than the set wheel since you have your left hand free and the exposure pre-planned.

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:29 AM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

The 'Exposure Compensation' control wheel only works in conjunction with 'auto exposure' modes P, Tv, and Av.

The 'exposure compensation' task is performed with Manual exposure simply by setting the indicator to one side or the other of the center '0' on the exposure scale seen in the viewfinder. (This has been true of all prior metered cameras before 'auto exposure' became an available feature.) This can be shifted with either shutter speed or aperture or ISO.

See fourth illustration on page 166 of your user manual!

Dec 31, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

wilt wrote:
The 'Exposure Compensation' control wheel only works in conjunction with 'auto exposure' modes P, Tv, and Av.

The 'exposure compensation' task is performed with Manual exposure simply by setting the indicator to one side or the other of the center '0' on the exposure scale seen in the viewfinder. (This has been true of all prior metered cameras before 'auto exposure' became an available feature.) This can be shifted with either shutter speed or aperture or ISO.

See fourth illustration on page 166 of your user manual!

See rest of thread and realise that it is talking about when using auto iso.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Part of my problem is the 5D3 does such an awful job at auto metering that I'm often turning exposure compensation up +1 to +2. Any advice to solve this underlying problem is welcome. As best I can tell evaluative metering works like:

1. Is the center of the field of view a large, bright object in direct sunlight? If so meter for daylight.

2. Otherwise make the average intensity 18% gray and try not to expose anything over 50%.

I haven't tried shooting people. Maybe a face in the scene triggers a third option where skin comes out right.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:55 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
Is it possible to change the target shutter speed for auto ISO? On Nikon there is a menu to choose between specific speeds (e.g. 1/30, 1/250) and auto based on focal length and crop factor.

You can set a minimum shutter speed for Av mode and a maximum value for Auto ISO. Probably not as much control as you wish.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:59 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
Part of my problem is the 5D3 does such an awful job at auto metering that I'm often turning exposure compensation up +1 to +2. .

Wow, I'm up to about 3,000 clicks on my 5DIII so far and I do not notice any metering issues like this at all. It seems to meter fine. Without direct side by side testing, I cannot tell any differences between the 5Dc, 5DII, 5DIII or my Panasonic G3

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

If you thought it out, you would see how silly this thread is. In manual mode, you are manually setting everything. dmcharg got it right a few posts up. If you want to exposure compensate (the wrong term that can't even apply to manual mode) simply adjust one of the manual settings (ss, aperture or ISO) that you are already setting. It is no more effort than using exp comp in an automated mode. You guys need to learn about photography, not technology.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

dgdg wrote:
Wow, I'm up to about 3,000 clicks on my 5DIII so far and I do not notice any metering issues like this at all. It seems to meter fine. Without direct side by side testing, I cannot tell any differences between the 5Dc, 5DII, 5DIII or my Panasonic G3

I had been using Nikon, which usually gets it right or .5 overexposed. (My D800E is on its third trip back to Nikon for repair, which is why I have a Canon now.) I can't compare to older Canons.

I'm sure results depend on what you are trying to do. Tree branches against sky tend to work badly. Scenes in shade are often too dark. Landscapes are better. What I'd like is an exposure that is designed to produce a high quality raw file, using the maximum exposure that avoids excess clipping (up to the limit of analog amplification in the sensor path).

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:47 PM
ciprian.trofin
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Manual exposure + exposure compensation on 5D3?

Jeffrey wrote:
If you thought it out, you would see how silly this thread is.

It really isn't. The OP was about M and Auto ISO. dmcharg is speaking about M and a fixed ISO (a true manual mode).
When in M and Auto ISO, camera sets a standard exposure. As you (probably) know, standard exposure is not suitable for every scene (think about snow, lots and lots of snow). You need EC.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password