p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Green Heron

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Green Heron

I really like this one. The only area I don't like is the leaf in the upper right of the image. The OOF blur seems a bit distracting..not horrible but I think it could be improved.

How did you get such great contrast on the feathers? Topaz simplify? Photoshop edges?

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Green Heron

Thanks Jim. This ends up feeling a bit Asian in style to me, which I am really pleased with. One of the issue is the clutter vs environmental context and the framing by the leaves. How would you improve upon the current image?
As far as processing, LR to PS to LR to CEP Detail Extractor to LR. With a light touch and control points to mask the effect everywhere by the heron. BTW, the Detail Extractor effect is almost invisible, so most of the effect was LR. In LR several bumps on clarity, slightly, some initial sharpening and a later round to edge (masked) sharpening. Bit of curves in LR too.

Scott

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Green Heron

sbeme wrote:

a bit Asian in style

clutter vs environmental

I think you've got a good assessment on this ... but I also think it is representative of the heron immersing itself into its environment. Sometimes you just gotta "go with it" and I think this is one of those times. A bit "atypical" (like Bob's church), yet I think you've done a nice job with it given the "clutter vs. environment" challenges.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Green Heron

Scott,

Very nice processing - Audubon-esque if you will.

Bob

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Green Heron

To give it a more asian aesthetic, perhaps remove a fair amount of leaves and twigs and reduce the sat and/or vibrance on everything except the heron.

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Green Heron

Bob Jarman wrote:
Scott,

Very nice processing - Audubon-esque if you will.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I was thinking that too. Debated taking the background to white for an even more illustrated look.
Scott

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:01 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Green Heron

AuntiPode wrote:
To give it a more asian aesthetic, perhaps remove a fair amount of leaves and twigs and reduce the sat and/or vibrance on everything except the heron.

Karen,
thanks tor the suggestions. I know I can easily apply the saturation and vibrance suggestions, but the cloning is beyond my paygrade. So far I removed a stick just behind the head, and cloned in some detail where I removed a branch crossing the body. I can see some trims to make to some of the branches and along the edges, but I doubt I can do much more effectively.

Scott

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Oregon Gal
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Green Heron

Very nice image, the one out of focus leaf above and right bothers me but its minor.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.