Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · A question about lens cleaning???

rtljr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A question about lens cleaning???

I have a 100-400 lens among others, I guess the lens doesn't matter. What is the best way to clean a lens. I have tried everything from polishing cloths included in lens kits specifically for lens cleaning, a cloth included with expensive glasses, 100% cotton T-shirts, kleenex, I have literally tried everything.

I can't seem to get the smudges off. I know they are not permanent smudges. These polishing cloths just seem to exacerbate and spread the smudges. Dust is not the problem. Just the smudges.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:41 PM
XsigmaSD
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A question about lens cleaning???

Just breathe.

Seriously, warm breath and a microfiber cloth does the best.
One time I got a stubborn coffee spot on a lens and it needed a drop of "Eclipse" optical fluid. Get it at your friendly local camera shop.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A question about lens cleaning???

If it won't come off with a bit of breath fog, then try a light spritz of eyeglass cleaner. If that won't do it, then get some ROR (residual oil remover).

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:02 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A question about lens cleaning???

The moisture from your breath along with a microfiber is all you need really. If that won't get it off.... then I have no clue what you have on the front of your lens. The only thing I can think of is that you might be cleaning a multicoated filter on the front of the lens rather than the lens itself. Some of those filters are very hard to clean --- the Hoya HMC line in particular.

On another note, many lenses are damaged by overzealous cleaning. Be careful with what you do, and keep in mind that it'll all be invisible to the camera anyway.

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:35 PM
rtljr

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A question about lens cleaning???

Yeah, I'm not using a filter, and yes I am aware and wary of cleaning or polishing too much. I will try the breath thing. I don't think I have a microfiber cloth though. I'll find one.

Thank you

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A question about lens cleaning???

If the smudges are moving around, but not coming off, you will have to patiently work at it as follows:

Take your favourite tissue or clean soft cloth (call both a "cloth") and your favourite fluid. Wet a spot or part of the cloth with the fluid, or blow (without spitting) breath to condense on the lens. Dab gently at the spot, once, with the cloth. Shift to a new spot on the cloth. Repeat.

By patiently working in this way, you pick up a bit at a time and soon enough you will get it all. Then wash the cloth or discard the tissue(s).

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:02 PM
drphilgandini

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A question about lens cleaning???

Nikon support advises against breathing on a lens:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/07/nikon-support-do-not-breathe-on-your-lens-to-clean-it-your-breath-contains-harmful-acids-that-could-damage-the-lens-coating.aspx/
While human breath is mainly composed of nitrogen, oxygen and carbon dioxide, analysis shows it also contains VOCs (volatile organic compounds) including isoprene, acetone and ethanol, methanol and other alcohols.
It's likely that your breath "works" to clean the lens because it's not like any other cleaning fluid. It's the same temperature as your body (98F) and it contains alcohols. The article above says it contains acids, which I would guess are just particles of saliva atomized in your breath. There's no doubt saliva contains acids--just spit on your car's paint job, wait a day and try to clean it off--it has etched into the clear coat. (How do I know this?...)
So while breathing on your lens might work, it probably isn't the best idea in case it's actually etching the multi coating off the glass.

Dec 31, 2012 at 05:05 PM
ZWhitford

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A question about lens cleaning???

Here is my routine:

- Rocket blower + lens-pen brush to remove dust
- Roscoe Lens Cleaner Solution + Roscoe Lens Tissue

Works like a charm every time.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:33 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A question about lens cleaning???

drphilgandini wrote:
Nikon support advises against breathing on a lens:.

They got debunked and retracted that.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A question about lens cleaning???

I haven't used it in ages because I find my EF lenses different to my old Nikkors, but this, when used properly, is excellent; Opticlean.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LDRider
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A question about lens cleaning???

Spit and a handkerchief

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:34 AM
artd
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A question about lens cleaning???

If you still have smudges on your lens, I would suggest trying this stuff called "ROR Residual Oil Remover." Most of the major online camera retailers sell it. I've found the stuff to be great. I just got a smudge off that I've had on a lens for about 4 years

As far as what cloth to clean it with, opinions vary, but I like Pec Pad Photo Wipes the best.

Good luck!

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:56 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A question about lens cleaning???

I just use a clean white cloth

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A question about lens cleaning???

LDRider wrote:
Spit and a handkerchief

Using spit would be very stupid.

That is very bad advice.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:30 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A question about lens cleaning???

Tough smudges require a lens cleaning solution such as ROR.
In addition, any smear streaks left by ROR can be cleaned with a broad tipped Lenspen.

That is the only way I know of to get glass crystal clear again.

In all this it is very important to use clean micro fiber lens cloths, and a fresh/clean Lenspen.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:03 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A question about lens cleaning???

LDRider wrote:
Spit and a handkerchief

That's the way my dad cleaned my face when I was a kid. I hated that.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:45 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A question about lens cleaning???

As a glasses wearer, and a engineer, I tried for years to find a method to clean my glasses.

This is similar to cleaning the lens of my camera.

My concern was that many methods of daily cleaning would destroy the surface of the glasses.
Paper towels have long fibers of cellulose, strong enough to scratch the glass. Many people use paper towels, many people get to replace their glasses.

Bathroom TP has incredibly short fibers of cellulose. This product is concocted with short fibers for comfort during its "other use". I have found that with daily use of TP, my glasses are still scratch free after as much as 1500 cleanings.

I do not use micro fiber, as it is almost impossible to keep gritty contaminants from almost instantly turning microfiber into "sandpaper". Microfiber is a "dust magnet".

If I could buy microfiber in a pack, like tissues come in, single use and disposable, then microfiber would be #1 for lens cleaning.

As for the ideal cleaning solution, Sears sells some concoction that seems to be ideal for not streaking the surface and has great packaging. They sell it in their glasses "booth". It comes with a small pocket size atomizer, and a refill bottle. Plus, they will refill the refill bottle for free!! WOOT!

The solution seems to have a great evaporation rate, well suited to cleaning a lens, as well as my laptop.

No more tee shirt wiping for me!!

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:26 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A question about lens cleaning???

You can buy micro fibre, by the pack, at Sam's Club very cheap.

If you are concerned about the micro fibre becoming contaminated you can cut the large cloths into small ones and dispose of them after use.

Micro fibre is also great to clean the screen on your computer, laptop, and iPad.

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:57 PM
the888account
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A question about lens cleaning???

+1 for ROR for stubborn marks.

I usually give my lenses a once over with ROR every few months, depending on use and location of use just to keep them mint. Might be a bit of over kill, but I baby my gear.

A rocket blower is useful to blowing off any dust / grit if you have a particularly dirty lens to start with.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:12 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A question about lens cleaning???

Checkout the LensPens.

I think they now have some carbon dust that helps with a good cleaning

greg

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:30 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password