Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

beavo451
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

zahidkm wrote:
Shutter lag was also a big difference for me when I moved from D80 to D700. Actually, I didn't realize anything when I was testing out my D700 first time. I constantly used for for 3 days in a row and then picked up my D80 again for a shot or two. It was then when I felt like I was waiting forever for the shutter to go off on my D80. I tried it a few more times and I could see the insanely long shutter lag that I never realized for the past 6 years on my D80.
...Show more

The D80's shutter response time is 80ms vs 40ms for the D700. You would not be able to tell the difference.

If you are talking about the difference in time the camera takes to focus prior to the shutter being released, then yes you can tell a difference between a lower and higher grade AF system. But, not shutter response.

Maybe you had some kind of exposure delay accidentally turned on?

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

I was spoiled at an early age with my various Nikon F, F2, and F3 film cameras. For me, the optical clarity and precision of the viewfinder was the big reason I dumped my mid-line D200 for a D2x a few years ago. Gotta have a good finder.
Keep in mind that "shutter lag" should be distinguished from the total time elapsed for the mirror, shutter, and then mirror again to go through their respective cycles. My D3's have a short shutter lag and so does my D800E. But the 800 takes noticeably longer to complete the total cycle, giving the user the impression that the camera is somehow 'slower'. Sure, the 800 can't do as many FPS with that longer total cycle, but the actual lag from button to exposure is extremely close, if not identical between the two.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:06 AM
zesto
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

I prefer my D800E to my D3. The IQ and the nicer feeling ergonomics of the D800E appeals to me. Then again, I have pretty small hands.

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

As i dont have access to all the smart bodies I dont know what I am missing with my D7k but I was asked to take a group shot for a tourist the other day with his Fuji X pro 1 and I was convinced I was going to fall in love with it till I pressed the shutter button. I was quite shocked how slow it was.
Tim

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:41 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

beavo451 wrote:
The D80's shutter response time is 80ms vs 40ms for the D700. You would not be able to tell the difference.

If you are talking about the difference in time the camera takes to focus prior to the shutter being released, then yes you can tell a difference between a lower and higher grade AF system. But, not shutter response.

Maybe you had some kind of exposure delay accidentally turned on?

Trust me, you can totally tell the difference in lag between a D700 and a D80.....Like someone else said, the "shutter lag" may technically be the time it takes the camera to respond to the shutter release being pressed, BUT, the mirror still has to get out of the way before the exposure can start, and the D300/D700 series is NOTICEABLY faster than the D80/D80/D7000 series in that respect.....They are far more responsive, and the D2/D3/D4 series are even faster......i guarantee i'm not the only person who thinks so, and notices it...

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Tim Ashton wrote:
I was asked to take a group shot for a tourist the other day with his Fuji X pro 1 and I was convinced I was going to fall in love with it till I pressed the shutter button. I was quite shocked how slow it was.
Tim

Those small cameras now available have very good image quality. I'd say they are better than the 35mm we were shooting ten years ago and used to rave about then. The big bonus is they can take all kinds of lenses, including Leica. They aren't quite perfected enough to where I'm placing an order today, but that day is coming. And soon.

Kent in SD

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

krickett
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Interesting... I can tell the shutter lag difference between the D5100 (terrible lag) and the D7000. However, I can barely discern any difference between the D7000 (decently fast), and D800 (lightening fast).

The difference I get between the D800 and D7000 is noise and color saturation. At ISO 1600 on the D7000, I thought I was pushing boundaries. The D800 muscles through ISO 1600.

I still enjoy both cameras, but I don't think I can go any lower than D90 or D7000 any more.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:09 AM
xjohnx
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

krickett wrote:
The difference I get between the D800 and D7000 is noise and color saturation. At ISO 1600 on the D7000, I thought I was pushing boundaries. The D800 muscles through ISO 1600.

What boundaries did you find the D7000 pushing at ISO 1600?

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:24 AM
static808
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

NathanHamler wrote:
The biggest thing that impresses me about the D3 is NOT the larger FX viewfinder....it's not the AF speed (although i haven't really challenged it yet), and it's not the high iso....honestly i just did a test at iso 5000 in low light, and both the D7000 and D3 look basically identical...the single biggest thing that impresses me the most is the shutter lag....or lack thereof....

totally can relate. a few months ago i added a D3s to supplant my D700 as my main camera body. i thought i was just gonna get a d700 with built-in vertical grip and about 1 stop better ISO. i was completely wrong. the D3/s/x cameras are a completely different beast altogether. shutter lag, af response, fps, all noticeably better. the responsiveness is amazing, which says a lot since i was completely satisfied with the performance of my D700. when i take snaps around the house with the D3s, it feels a little like taking a ferrari to go buy some milk at the grocery store... total overkill!! but do i still do it?? hells yeah!!

congrats on your camera purchase!!

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

NathanHamler wrote:
Literally my D7k feels like a toy now. Not really FEELS, as much as SOUNDS, and REACTS....i never knew that shutter lag could be THAT noticeable....both when going to a faster camera, and going to a slower camera....it's insane.....it makes my D7000 feel like a D70....you know, where you can here the distinct difference of the mirror coming up and THEN the slide of the shutter curtains traveling....it's so weird.quote]

Yes, and it truly sucks that there is no D400.

EBH

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:05 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

EB-1 wrote:
Yes, and it truly sucks that there is no D400.

EBH

I'll drink to that....i waited and waited....However, i like the shoot wide, and i've been craving shallower DOF lately....and those are pretty much 2 things that are tough to get on DX....So that alone was enough to push me to FX....The fact that my 24mm 2.8d had new life was awesome....and the fact that a 28 1.8 is available to me, and is ACTUALLY wide, that's another plus...

As a side note, it's interested that i HATED the 50mm equivalent focal length on DX....I have a 35mm 1.8, and i just NEVER used it....rarely if i was just messing around or something....and my 50mm 1.8 never even left my bag.....so pointless of a focal length...well the other day i was shooting with my D3 and i put the 50 on, and it was like an out of body experience....amazing....i love that lens now. And also i never really liked 24mm (36mm equiv) on my crop body...now i put my 35 1.8 on FX and it's awesome.....vignettes a lot, but the FOV is amazing....so weird....all my lenses just feel less restrictive...maybe it's the viewfinder, i dunno....it's amazing though....

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password