Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Been shooting with D300's and a D7000 for a while now....basically the combo has been great for anything i've needed to shoot...i shoot iso 5000 without hesitation on my D7000, great camera....i posted a photo here a while back of a D7k shot i GREATLY underexposed @ iso 100, and then pushed in photoshop by like 5 stops or something crazy, and it looks great....BUT....

I just bought a D3.

Literally my D7k feels like a toy now. Not really FEELS, as much as SOUNDS, and REACTS....i never knew that shutter lag could be THAT noticeable....both when going to a faster camera, and going to a slower camera....it's insane.....it makes my D7000 feel like a D70....you know, where you can here the distinct difference of the mirror coming up and THEN the slide of the shutter curtains traveling....it's so weird.

The biggest thing that impresses me about the D3 is NOT the larger FX viewfinder....it's not the AF speed (although i haven't really challenged it yet), and it's not the high iso....honestly i just did a test at iso 5000 in low light, and both the D7000 and D3 look basically identical...the single biggest thing that impresses me the most is the shutter lag....or lack thereof....

it's going to be tough to switch between bodies now :-(

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:37 AM
zahidkm

p.1 #2 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Shutter lag was also a big difference for me when I moved from D80 to D700. Actually, I didn't realize anything when I was testing out my D700 first time. I constantly used for for 3 days in a row and then picked up my D80 again for a shot or two. It was then when I felt like I was waiting forever for the shutter to go off on my D80. I tried it a few more times and I could see the insanely long shutter lag that I never realized for the past 6 years on my D80. There's no going back now for me to DX.

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:01 AM
mkchang
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Yup, same thing happened to me. Had a D300, bought a D3s and couldn't bear to use the D300 anymore. I only use it as a remote now.

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

gee, I went from the D3 to a D4/D7000. no real issues using any of them except I do use the D7000 more often on my little trips these days with a single 17-70/2.8-4 Sigma

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Do'h. When you go pro body, you just can't go back.

My D4 is my baby! I was lucky enough to get the D800 too and at first I thought I'd be taking that out more often because of the smaller size and phenomenal detail in the images but I always seem to just grab the D4 instinctively. Just so much nicer to have the ergonomics of a pro body in your hand. Not to mention how blisteringly fast they seem to function in comparison to the smaller bodies.

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

yeah, I know what you mean, I picked up my D50 the other day....

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:56 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #7 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

I was just saying how my D7k feels so toy like. It sucks as it only has a few thousand shots on it, but it just sits there in the cupboard as I can't use it over the D4 for anything

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:24 PM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

I noticed the same thing the first time I grabbed a shot with my 1D2.
Just wait til the 1st time you catch that fleeting look in a candid that you woulda missed.
Worth every cent.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:29 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

mkchang wrote:
Yup, same thing happened to me. Had a D300, bought a D3s and couldn't bear to use the D300 anymore. I only use it as a remote now. quote<<<

I needed two cameras for Event Photography.
Bought the D300, the D3 came in, returned the D300, bought second D3
The difference is evolutionary. Everything is "mo beta".

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:07 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

ct8282 wrote:

My D4 is my baby! I was lucky enough to get the D800 too and at first I thought I'd be taking that out more often because of the smaller size and phenomenal detail in the images but I always seem to just grab the D4 instinctively. Just so much nicer to have the ergonomics of a pro body in your hand. Not to mention how blisteringly fast they seem to function in comparison to the smaller bodies.

You just saved me from typing a reply. My thoughts exactly. Enough that I sold the D800E and kept the D4 only.

There is no going back, and that's a good thing.

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

i got screwed when i started using top end lenses.

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:30 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #12 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Grantland wrote:
i got screwed when i started using top end lenses. quote<<<

No you didn't, you got NAS!

The best glass is an investment, especially mint used.
All of mine are worth more than I paid.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

RRRoger wrote:

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:26 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Jonathan wrote:
You just saved me from typing a reply. My thoughts exactly. Enough that I sold the D800E and kept the D4 only.

There is no going back, and that's a good thing.

Did the same thing.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:42 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

James R wrote:
Did the same thing.

I could be tempted to let the D800 go and I wouldn't have any problem using the D4 for every assignment, but I've just started down the road of wedding photography so need a backup body.

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

I know what the OP is talking about. I had used crop bodies for years, and when I sold the 40D for a 1Ds, i was hooked - and that body was pushing 8 years old at that point.

I switched from Canon to Nikon with an F5. Talk about being spoiled, lol. I now have a D700, but I was eye balling a D3. Ended up getting the D700 for $1200 in October, and the D3 was still at $2300 or more, so that is the reason I went against the D3. I do notice that the D700 is as responsive as my 1 series was -- as far as AF and blackout goes..

Dec 30, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

ct8282 wrote:

Well, I did. I went from a D90s to an F5, and realized that was a huge mistake. I just don't need a heavy, bulky camera. I went to the F100 and loved it! I've stayed with that class of camera ever since except for a brief time with a D2x. It too was just not a good fit. Combined with the cost, my thinking is if you don't "need" it, why bother with it? When I'm in the mood for a big camera, I use a Chamonix 045n.

Kent in SD

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:10 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

Grantland wrote:
i got screwed when i started using top end lenses.

+1.

I take a top lens over a top camera every time.

Kent in SD

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:11 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

I get what you're saying.... You'll adjust. The D7000 is still an awesome camera. I've shot the big boys too...the D2h being my fav of all time.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:14 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Yup, i'm officially screwed.

ct8282 wrote:

I did, I don't like the verticle grip of 'pro bodies', it annoys me.

Jan 02, 2013 at 03:17 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password