Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Next step in gear upgrade?

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Next step in gear upgrade?

I have about $200 form Christmas money that I got and I'm debating what to do with it. My current gear is as follows: Canon 7D Canon 50mm f/1.8 Canon 70-200mm f/4 Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. I'm 16 and have bought all my gear on my own, minus the 50mm which I got for Christmas as a gift. I love doing sports, which is why I have the 7D(Upgraded from a T2i), and the 70-200. The 70-200 does a good job, but with it being winter time. It is a little dark inside, and I am going to upgrade it to an f/2.8 by summer at the latest(when my job starts again). But I guess I could do it for now. So my main focus is sports, and I'm going to start doing portraits over the summer, and also I'm going to try and become an assistant for a local studio to get some more experience. My next step is going to be either: upgrade 70-200 to a f/2.8, get an ultra wide angle lens, get a speedlight(430 EX II), get a 300mm f/4, get a Canon 85mm f/1.8. It's a big list and I'm not exactly sure what to get. I've always wanted a speedlight, because I heard they can do some amazing things, but I would also love to have some more lenses. Maybe the speedlight can ?improve my 70-200 poor low light performance. I do a lot of landscape and nature shots with a friend, which is why I would like the ultra wide angle lens(Plus I love them, just because I get creative with them), but that's more just for fun. The 300mm is wanted, for sports, and also for bird photography. I do a little now when I can(whenever I see a bird) but the 70-200 just doesn't cut it. Maybe a 400mm f/5.6 instead? I want the 85mm maybe because of portraits that I'm going to start doing, maybe I should just stick with the 50mm. The definite upgrades over the summer are going to be the 70-200, and either a 300mm or 400mm. Other than that I have $200 right now that I'm not sure what I should do, Save it for now or buy something to improve my lens collection. What do you think. Anyone have any other suggestions?

P.S. I was also thinking of maybe getting a cheep body(or a 1D III if I get really lucky with cash by doing weddings as an assistant, and portraits on my own) to take to games so I have a 70-200 and a 300/400 without having to change a lens.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password