Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · In search of portable perfection?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In search of portable perfection?

Yes, this is YAWITBC post. (Yet Another What Is The Best Camera.) I've gone thru at least 6 iterations of "a camera I can carry with me always" without finding something that really works for me. I suppose I'd like the image quality of a 1DsIII (or Nikon equivalent) that would fit in the front pocket of my jeans. Clearly this isn't going to happen.

My current experiment is a Pany GX1 with 20mm f/1.7 lens and the EVF. I'm trying to decide if there is something more promising out there or to just keep this and learn to live with it. The GX1 is quite a nice camera and I have no complaints about its IQ for static subjects. It's not real good at things in motion and even though the lens is fast, its AF in low-light is less than stellar. Prior experiments include Canon G's, S's (still have an S90 that is a very functional "documentation" device), P&S's, cell phones, and one attempt with a Canon Xti (or something similar) with a 50mm f/1.4 on it. That was clearly too big - might as well carry a "real" camera. P&S don't give control, have less than stellar IQ, and I can't shoot holding a camera at arm's length - hence the EVF on the GX1.

So what have I missed out there? I prefer to shoot RAW, manual, and am OK working with a fixed or single lens if it is flexible enough. I've observed the hoopla over the RX1 and have to admit that it can create stunning images. Still $3k USD just to begin, plus another what $700 for a view finder?

My problem may be a simple one of not being imaginative enough in how I'm carrying the camera. I can get the S90 in a pocket though it is a pain to get out. I'm carrying the GX1 with a shortened sling/neckstrap so that I can keep it to my side or behind me when moving. I've thought of building a belt pouch for it as I've never found a commercial one that holds the camera in a compact manner.

So, anyone else with this conundrum? Anyone with a camera and/or carry arrangement that works for them?

Advice sought,

Robert

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:29 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In search of portable perfection?

Fujifilm X100.

I sometimes use mine alongside a 1DX + 70-200/2.8L IS II. Both produce fine images.

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:59 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In search of portable perfection?

the answer is no.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In search of portable perfection?

OntheRez wrote:
Yes, this is YAWITBC post. (Yet Another What Is The Best Camera.) I've gone thru at least 6 iterations of "a camera I can carry with me always" without finding something that really works for me. I suppose I'd like the image quality of a 1DsIII (or Nikon equivalent) that would fit in the front pocket of my jeans. Clearly this isn't going to happen.

My current experiment is a Pany GX1 with 20mm f/1.7 lens and the EVF. I'm trying to decide if there is something more promising out there or to just keep this and learn to live with
...Show more

In your case I think you should change cloths! Yup! Just put on a giant-ass pair of overalls and loosen those suspender straps a bit. Then you can fit a camera that will do what you want in the front pocket. Otherwise, I think you're not going to be satisfied. The AF accuracy I think you're looking for judging by your description only exists AFAIK, in the top pro bodies. The 1D Mark II has it if you don't wanna spend a fortune. They go for $450 to about $750 from rational minded sane sellers. You can sacrifice continuous drive speed for higher resolution too by spending about 300 to 500 more and opting for the 1DmkIIs if you like - which still seems a reasonable price IMO.

I mean the GX1 and the 20mm there are as fast and accurate as anything out there under $2k that I know of. Probably under $3.5K too.

You can improve the IQ at the cost of even less speed and accuracy by going with that RX1 you mentioned. But you can't get any more speed and accuracy at all till you put up the big bucks.

Now why do I think you already knew that before you even began typing? Hmmm

Edited on Dec 29, 2012 at 02:36 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In search of portable perfection?

My carry-everywhere camera is a Nikon D800 with ZF.2 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 Works well for me

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In search of portable perfection?

I'm jealous!

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In search of portable perfection?

Hm.. NEX or NX? Both have pretty good IQ.

But frankly there isnt camera with 1DsMK3 IQ.. certainly not pocketable.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In search of portable perfection?

Sell all your lenses and you will easily have enough to buy this too, Bif

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In search of portable perfection?

Not even all his lenses - just maybe a few hundred of them...

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In search of portable perfection?

Mescalamba,
I think the IQ can be matched close enough but his main complaint seems to be about moving subjects and AF.

carstenw,

Gary Clennan,

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · In search of portable perfection?

On topic, as far as I know, the only two cameras which might have better AF than the GX1 would be the E-M5 and the Nikon 1 system, but neither has great AF for moving subjects, for that you really need a mirror-based DSLR.

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:02 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · In search of portable perfection?

I did a lot of searching and spending. I should have just bought a Leica from the beginning.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:53 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · In search of portable perfection?

OntheRez wrote:

My current experiment is a Pany GX1 with 20mm f/1.7 lens and the EVF. I'm trying to decide if there is something more promising out there or to just keep this and learn to live with
...Show more

A couple of thoughts. I started out my mirror-less journey with an EVF-equipped camera (Panasonic G1), however over time I have become very comfortable with shooting with just the LCD and in fact in many cases I now prefer the LCD over EVF. As for shooting at arm's length, I never shoot my LCD-based-mirrorless cameras or my RX100 at arm's length. I hold them just like I hold my DSLRs - with arms tucked tightly into my body. The only difference is that the camera is not pressed into my face but at a small distance. I don't find any great stability difference in holding even the ultra-light RX100 compared to my DSLRs. Whenever I see this reference to arm's length shooting I wonder about why would you ever shoot at arm's length - there is no reason to. The reason I mention this is that if you are willing to let go of the EVf then it opens up more options and also makes the package smaller.

In terms of my carry-always cameras I am very happy with both my RX100 and my NX200+30mm f2 combo. I have also in past used Panasonic 20mm for a while and was a satisfied user. I think GX1+20mm should do a good job for you. You might also try the E-PL5 to get some IQ boost and IS. For continuous AF, I have seen some users report that they had some success with E-M5. 20mm unfortunately is not a great lens for that. Panasonic 25mm 1.4 is as faster to AF lens though it is no longer compact. You could also look into Panasonic 14mm f2.5 which is fast to focus and even smaller than 20mm though obviously a wider focal length.

Dec 29, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · In search of portable perfection?

My choice would be the E-PL5 with any compact lens. Then new 17mm f/1.8 seems to be nice. As have been pointed out by other, AF-C isn't great to say the least, but image quality is very, very good.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · In search of portable perfection?

upgrade to the 25/1.4...that'll solve your low light AF issues (the 20/1.7 is probably the slowest focusing m4/3 lens there is)...plus a little nicer rendering and an extra half stop of speed. Though, you give up the super tiny size.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · In search of portable perfection?

I find the Nex-7 to be half way to what I want in a carry everywhere camera.
Resolution? Check!
Noise? Meh... could be better.
Color? I'm happy so far.
Ergonomics? A bit cramped around the grip.
Controls? More mapping options would be very welcome.
Lens selection? It's getting better, I'm waiting for the Zeiss lenses to see what they bring, till then Alt manual's will have to do, and then there is the $1,000,000 question, what will a FF Nex turn out to be?

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM
_julian_
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · In search of portable perfection?

M mount offers the most flexibility and the best IQ for the size. It's possible to use lenses from Leica, Zeiss, Voigtlander on a digital camera like the M9 rangefinder or mirrorless, or a film rangefinder. It helps that the system also somewhat future proof.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · In search of portable perfection?

Have a P&S or three but, these days it's film Leica (no batteries ) or the quite awesome Nikon D5100. Both are within my weight tolerance for all-day carry.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.