Upload & Sell: Off
| p.1 #1 · Help me spend my money! (Another 6d vs. 5dmiii - sorry, but I really need help) |
Sorry for the long post, but I could use some advice.
I'm an amateur (meaning I don't get paid to take photos), but I enjoy photography immensely.
My current gear is: 50d body; 24-70 L lens; 70-200 2.8 IS L lens; 50 1.8.; 580 ex flash
The 24-70 is on my camera most of the time and I mostly shoot candids and portraits of my kids (ages 8 and 10), my family, and our friends. During soccer season and tae kwon do belt testing, I do shoot some action shots. Also, at different events, piano recitals, school plays, etc., the lighting is very dark and I do shoot some with the help of a monopod.
I love shooting portraits, and I love making my pictures interesting. I take advantage of the rule of thirds, and I like candid moments. I also have been known to shoot at like 45 degree angles to make the shot more interesting, or to help tell the story (like convey motion, etc). When I shoot, I play with the focus points a lot. I will often shift and have the focus point on the left outermost focus, or if I'm composing a shot and the subject is on the right side, I will then have the focus point on the right outermost focus. I sometimes will have the focus point be on the top or sometimes on the center.
I used to center-focus and re-compose, but then I found it faster to just make the focus point on the one I wanted and then shoot away, so I have gotten away from focusing and re-composing as the center of the frame not often the part I want to emphasize being in focus (the face, for example).
I'm interested in upgrading to full frame. I almost pulled the trigger on the 5d mark iii a number of times (always seem to miss those ebay sales from authorized retailers), and I'm intrigued by the 6d. Here are some of the things I'm considering in no particular order:
1. Autofocus points: I don't really know what cross-type auto focus points are and whether I need 1 or 11. I don't know if I need all the autofocus points of the 5d mark iii. Is the autofocusing system on the 5dm3 really confusing?
2. FPS: The faster fps of the 5dm3 is interesting, but for soccer and tae kwon do, I may revert to the 50d for the longer reach the crop sensor provides (although if I get more keepers and better lower light performance on the 6d or 5dm3, who knows).
3. Video: I'm really interested in being able to shoot video with my SLR as there have been many times I wished I could do so.
4. Weight: the 24-70 is a brick and I off-set it with a sling harness that takes a bit of the weight off. However, after a long-day at Disneyland, I definitely feel it the next day.
5. Wifi: The idea of wifi in the 6d sounds great. There are many times, I shoot a great pic of friends or my kids and I would like to share them. That's one of the advantages of taking pictures with the iPhone, is that I can immediately message them to the intended recipient and share the love. This sounds like a neat function. Of course, I can do it the old fashioned way, which is transfer to computer and then e-mail them out, but I lose the instant gratification.
6. Price: Of course the 6d is about a grand cheaper and I could use the money to either buy the 24-105 lens which is a lot lighter or for other things. A grand is a lot of money, even today.
7. Low-light: I wish (maybe because i don't know), that either camera had an on-board flash. The pictures are never as nice as when I bounce the flash from an external, but there are times, I would rather be able to capture the moment with a less than ideal flash, then not have it. Maybe the low-light performance of both cameras is so great I don't need it, but I'm a bit skeptical. Kids move fast and I don't often have time to dig out the external flash, put it on, and then shoot before the moment is lost.
As I indicated, I'm also thinking about buying the 24-105 lens especially if I can crank up the ISO and still get great shots without needing the faster glass of the 24-70 due simply to weight issues.
So, if 90% of my shots are of my children, my family, and our friends, is there a clear winner for me? I've been reading the forums for months and I'm only more confused now. Some days I think 5dm3 is the way to go. Others 6d. I'm really confused.
Thanks in advance! Happy New Year!