Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

billsnature
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

Bought a 600mm VR f4 and micro adjusted both by manually and now with Reiken FoCal product. The lens works fine and the FoCal software is awesome. The lens by itself requires very little micro adjust. It is a -1 on my D800E and a +4 on a D4.

Then I added a 1.4X (TC-14E II) for doing eagles in flight. I couldn't get any good results. I asked on the forum if TC needed to be micro adjusted seperately, and got the answer that yes it does. And that seemed correct since it would show a zero when you went into menu for micro adjust.

So I ran the micro adjust program. Not easy since you need to be about 30M from the target (Outside for me) and the wind doesn't make it easy. The results with the TC on are a staggering -19 on the D800E, and -16 on the D4 and reproducaible (I ran both twice).

Difference in resolution on a test target is dayand night! Will try again on BIF as soon as it stops snowing.

If you are unhappy with the performance of your lens / TC combination I would strongly recommend calibrating the combination.

Bill

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Chris Court
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

Interesting. Makes sense when you think about it

C

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:15 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

Yes, both the 1.4x and the 1.7x requires different MA for my D800E and D4.

-Quang

Dec 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM
LMT1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

Yes I use the 1.7 with the 300VR1 and it needs +17 MA vs +5 with the naked lens.

Cheers
Leigh

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

Since the lens by itself requires so little adjustment on either body, would you send your TC back to Nikon for recalibration? Could they fix it?

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoyC
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

Gregstx wrote:
Since the lens by itself requires so little adjustment on either body, would you send your TC back to Nikon for recalibration? Could they fix it?

If Nikon where to adjust it to a zero with his 600mm lens, the IQ of the combination would still be the same. I fail to see what would be gained as long as max IQ falls within the +/- 20 adjustments of fine tune.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:02 PM
billsnature
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

I am going to send it in as I am at a -19 with one lens and camera combo, and concerned that it may be out on a future camera or lens combination. Right now it is under warrenty, a few months from now it won't be.

Sadly it is a gray market one, because at the time I bought it nobody had any US versions in stock. I guess this is when we find out how well B&H really takes care of their gray market products.

Wish me luck

Bill

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Lance B
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

I have calibrated all my TC's to my lenses that I use them on, 105 f2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f2.8 VRII, 300 f2.8 VRII and 500 f4. Some need no adjustment, some need small adjustments.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:56 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Micro adjusted your Teleconverter yet? You better!!

billsnature wrote:
I am going to send it in as I am at a -19 with one lens and camera combo, and concerned that it may be out on a future camera or lens combination. Right now it is under warrenty, a few months from now it won't be.

Sadly it is a gray market one, because at the time I bought it nobody had any US versions in stock. I guess this is when we find out how well B&H really takes care of their gray market products.

Wish me luck

Bill

The warranty on Imports (gray) and US TC's is the same...1 yr.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password