Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

Visited the Bee Keeper while out yesterday...not much for conversation and although he willingly agreed to allow photos - "Sure" - averted looking directly into lens.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

Posted earlier on BWV

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 05:03 PM · View previous versions

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

An interesting portrait of a man with some life under his belt. No clue on the beekeeper part without the title.

I don't mind the lack of eye contact, some poses are posed, others are unposed. I typically prefer the unposed.

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:04 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

Thanks Ben,

The subject has a road-side stand where he sells honey, folk-art, wooden toys etc.

From what he has said, one former occupation was a brick mason but there isn't enough around today to make it worthwhile so he does not do much of anything. This visit his sitting fee cost me 1lb of shelled pecans and a pint of blue-berry jam.

During the summer and fall, he kept a metal pot by the stand with a swarm of what appeared to be several hundred bees circling in and around the pot. He would demonstrate to those interested the non-aggressive nature of the honey bee by inserting his arm into the middle of the bee-cloud...something to watch but not try at home.

Regards,

Bob

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #4 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

I like the crop, processing and appreciate you sharing the bee keepers story. The fact that he's not looking directly at the camera works very well for this particular image.

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

Oregon Gal,

Thank you for your thoughts - he would be right at home in your part of the country.

This and a second image are posted on BWV, I prefer this to the second (at least the last time I compared) but looking now, it could stand the benefit of further development (no pun intended).

Regards,

Bob

Dec 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM
beavens
• • •
p.1 #6 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

The looking away completely fits with how you described his personality.

If he were looking head on I think the image wouldn't have been as genuine.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

eeneryma
• •
p.1 #7 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

Nicely done portrait! What software did you use? Beautiful black and white processing. Natural light? Any other shots showing him with his provisions?

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

@beavens & @eeneryma,

Thank you for your comments.

Software - combo of LR4 and CS6, I have SEPro2 but seldom use it anymore. I do not recall specifics, just things I typically do for BW. My natural inclination have have more contrast and grit in the skin tones (+clairty & sharpening) but this time I passed on that. An alternative is to burn in areas of his face to add more contour. Again, I let that be (probably for the better )

Light - natural, taken about 11am, high, light overcast, he is under a tent.

I do not have the Exif available, don't know quite what happened that it was stripped from image. From what I had mounted on bodies that day, likely a 17-55mm f2.8 Nikkor, ~f4, ~40-50mm, ~1/250-400 sec, ISO whatever the camera (D7000) selected, again probably somewhere between 800 and 2000.

There are additional images - I need to go back and take a second look.

<edit> Added second image at top - did a little selective burning-in on it

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

Hope you give him a print next time.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

AuntiPode wrote:
Hope you give him a print next time.

On the to-do list - didn't seem much interested when I mentioned it but certainly the least I can do - who knows?

Bob

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:52 PM
pinn8

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

I like the pose of the first image better. I sense disdain in the second image, which doesn't sound like it goes with the man you photographed.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · BeeKeeper + 1 added

pinn8 wrote:
I like the pose of the first image better. I sense disdain in the second image, which doesn't sound like it goes with the man you photographed.

Thanks for your thoughts. Having spoken with him on several occasions, I think he was trying to be cooperative yet remain within his self-defined limits. Perhaps responding with images will change his viewpoint - he said people ask to photograph him quite often. But, perhaps you are correct - I need to find out.

Bob

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password