Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Easy Noise Reduction

Martin Good
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Easy Noise Reduction

Very nice and clear tutorial Tim and good to see that it's like my own method
Martin

Dec 29, 2012 at 05:38 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Easy Noise Reduction

Well demonstrated. My technique is a little different but accomplishes the same thing.
Eric

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:43 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Easy Noise Reduction

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:46 PM
dioladetus
• •
p.2 #4 · Easy Noise Reduction

Good stuff Tim!
Its also a bit different than what I use, but the idea is the same

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:48 PM
72chevelle454
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Easy Noise Reduction

I find earplugs work best... all the noise is gone then

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Easy Noise Reduction

I just tried that, Tim. After applying the noise reduction, twice, on the inverted selection, I'm still seeing the selection with the moving border (and a moving border around the perimeter of the frame as well); how do I finalize that action so I can do something else?

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM
No ANgle
• •
p.2 #7 · Easy Noise Reduction

Good post with an easy method to learn that can make huge improvements to pictures. I do it much the same but with a slight change is all. There are more than one way to skin the cat in PS that is for sure.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · Easy Noise Reduction

Ernie Aubert wrote:
I just tried that, Tim. After applying the noise reduction, twice, on the inverted selection, I'm still seeing the selection with the moving border (and a moving border around the perimeter of the frame as well); how do I finalize that action so I can do something else?

I'm sorry Ernie, it's always the little details that I miss. Press ctrl-d and the selection should disappear.

Tim

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.2 #9 · Easy Noise Reduction

Got it! Thanks, Tim. Now, however, I'm quite befuddled by something: After doing that, I invoked Topaz DeNoise 5, and its action isn't affecting the original subject area, only that surrounding area to which I'd applied the CS6 noise reduction. I'm cunfoozed.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · Easy Noise Reduction

You didn't say you wanted to still use the selection Okay after running your background NR hit shift-ctrl-I to invert again. Now your subject is selected. Now when you run Topaz it will affect only the subject. Then when you are done hit ctrl-D to unselect. Let me know if that works for you

Tim

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Easy Noise Reduction

Hah! I didn't want to still use the selection... I'm not accomplished with much of what selections can be used for. So far, I've just used them primarily for content-aware fill. So I'm still at the stage of finding out the basics. I did what you just said, and indeed it worked that way. Before, I was thinking DeNoise would work on the whole image; I didn't know it was smart enough to detect a selection and operate only on that. Thanks!

Next, I'm going to look at your tutorial on layers and masks; it's time for me to explore that, for sure. I really appreciate your taking the time to offer these for us learners!

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:03 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Easy Noise Reduction

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Hah! I didn't want to still use the selection... I'm not accomplished with much of what selections can be used for. So far, I've just used them primarily for content-aware fill. So I'm still at the stage of finding out the basics. I did what you just said, and indeed it worked that way. Before, I was thinking DeNoise would work on the whole image; I didn't know it was smart enough to detect a selection and operate only on that. Thanks!

Next, I'm going to look at your tutorial on layers and masks; it's time for me to explore
...Show more

I'm glad that worked Ernie. Just as an FYI, anytime you have something selected whatever you choose to do only works on that selection, the same applies to plugins

Tim

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:06 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · Easy Noise Reduction

72chevelle454 wrote:
I find earplugs work best... all the noise is gone then

Chad, be careful when you press the earplugs in - with nothing to stop them, they might meet in the middle...

Ron

Dec 30, 2012 at 04:32 AM
Dan Heitman
• •
p.2 #14 · Easy Noise Reduction

Thanks for the info Tim, much appreciated.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:12 AM
No ANgle
• •
p.2 #15 · Easy Noise Reduction

You shouldnt need to use a 3rd party program for noise. PS can do it all very well. The other thing I may add to the process is for the areas that you cant get separated with the quick select tool because they are to small or the tool wants to select more than you want it to is to just leave it alone and do the process as usual then flatten the layer and go back in those areas you couldnt get and use the blur tool on them.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:31 AM
randysc
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Easy Noise Reduction

Good info Tim, I don't have PS so I use a plug-in called Neat Image, works pretty good.

Dec 30, 2012 at 05:50 AM
DonGut
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · Easy Noise Reduction

Great tips as always. Don

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:46 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · Easy Noise Reduction

surfnron wrote:
Chad, be careful when you press the earplugs in - with nothing to stop them, they might meet in the middle...

Ron

Tim

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · Easy Noise Reduction

No ANgle wrote:
You shouldnt need to use a 3rd party program for noise. PS can do it all very well. The other thing I may add to the process is for the areas that you cant get separated with the quick select tool because they are to small or the tool wants to select more than you want it to is to just leave it alone and do the process as usual then flatten the layer and go back in those areas you couldnt get and use the blur tool on them.

Nice tip No Angle. I would like to know your process using PS that removes noise on the subject. Care to share it with us?

Tim

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:54 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Easy Noise Reduction

So glad you like this post everybody. Thanks for all the comments

Tim

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:54 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3       end