Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · color versus B&W street photography

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · color versus B&W street photography

I have a few Lightroom filters with mild desaturation, tone curves and split toning that seem to work for street photography sometimes... I was hoping to maybe get a discussion of B&W versus color street photography -- I really don't see the latter so often. To me, B&W night street photography often doesn't work, since night photos are already high contrast to begin with and taking out the color removes too much information.

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · color versus B&W street photography

Howdy,

Whether you use color or BW, the most important thing is to create or capture or shoot an interesting image.

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:59 AM
carnac
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · color versus B&W street photography

^ agree...these look more like long lens private eye photos vs. traditional street photos; shot from close-in, B&W, grainy, AND with an interesting scene that tells a story. Not; "I got a picture of someone walking down the street that didn't know I was taking their picture".

Take a look at these by Richard Sandler: http://www.richardsandler.com/photography.html

He makes B&W work. Although many are candid, they are intimate, street photography.

Or this free e-book by Thomas Leuthard:

http://book.85mm.ch/GoingCandid.pdf

He talks about B&W vs. Color. He has some strong opinions that some don't agree with, but his results pretty impressive.

Lots of "rules" can be broken and still get results.

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:37 AM
jrs5fg
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · color versus B&W street photography

I do try to go for the intimate aesthetic, but I like a long lens mainly for the ability to throw the background nicely out of focus-- I think it places emphasis on the individual being immersed in his environment.

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:52 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · color versus B&W street photography

I like this series of shots.

One of the things I noticed throughout is nice light in the eyes of the subjects, so good planning there.

I agree with Steady's comment.

I think that some of these would be less appealing in B&W with the colour missing.

Dec 29, 2012 at 08:18 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password