FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Photography Tutorials

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photography Tutorials

ben egbert wrote:
But then I am mostly a recorder and never wanted to be an artist.

Nothing wrong with that application of photography ... PJ, sports, events, etc.

Yet, you are somewhat caught in the middle of the two. Making "recordings" ... and then wanting them to be different from the recorded image ... kinda makes you an artist by default.

It's somewhat like me never wanting to be a CAD illustrator, yet if I want to show someone my plans for a new widget ... I've got the option to learn to be better at CAD, or accept the limitations of my pencil & ruler. So, I have put forth a rudimentary effort to learn CAD. If I want to get good at it ... I'm going to have to study & practice it much more than I've been willing to do thus far. Maybe I will, maybe I won't ... but until I better embrace CAD, I'll always be caught in the middle of being limited by my pencil, yet wanting more.

The limits of my pencil & ruler medium compared to a CAD drawing or the widget itself... are somewhat akin to the limits of the camera's dynamic range as compared against our adaptive human vision or being there in person.

There seems to be a small amount of "have your cake & eat it too" in your approach/style of "recording" yet wanting it to be visually appealing. If you want it to be visually appealing ... embrace how to make it so. if you want it to be "as recorded" ... simply accept the limits of the recording medium that you use. Either way ... your call ... just kinda tough to have it both ways simultaneously without putting the art/skill of visual image making into the equation.

Edited on Dec 30, 2012 at 01:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photography Tutorials

I was an early adapter of CAD. I ditched the drawing board in 1981 and longed for solids for another 10 years and was also also an early adapter there. I wanted my designs to be photo realistic. I suspect that my presentation is influenced by this.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photography Tutorials

So you've been a fabricator of false reality for presentation of a 3D into a 2D medium for a long time already.

Your hand @ drawing board or CAD was still the skill to present/convey your message to the viewer of your work ... no diff than photographing a 3D mountain onto a 2D piece of paper/screen. Your knowledge of ortho & perspective are paramount into the success of your work being able to communicate that message. The tenets of "art" in image making are no different than the tenets of ortho, etc. in drafting/CAD ... i.e. they are the building blocks / tools / words at your disposal to create your message to be received by others.

Digital photography was intentionally designed to afford the latitude for image making. Of course, you could just shoot Polaroids if you really don't want the "image making" portion of the equation involved.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photography Tutorials

I have no problem with post processing to take the raw image back to what it should have looked like. But for me, photography is more like an excuse to go to the place, like fly fishing was an excuse to walk a stream.

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:05 PM
       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.