Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Urban Skiing

sklar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Urban Skiing

Here are a couple shots from the past couple of days.

This one is from Christmas morning, I was just dying to test out my new yongnuo 622 triggers that santa dropped off with my ab b800. So, I went to the park with my brother and made some powder shots as best as we could.
Interesting results, not as good as much usable light as I was hoping above sync speed.

These two are from today, more "traditional" urban ,if you can really say that haha

also hypersyncing with the 622's

3. Traditional 1/200 sync
I'm still a little bit rusty with flashes, it was good to get out and shoot some though
I regret the decision to leave the flashes in frame

Thanks for taking a look!

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:38 PM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Urban Skiing

I like the look you got in the first picture. Really nice.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Urban Skiing

so HSS works with the yn622c - like the first

Dec 28, 2012 at 06:41 AM
sklar
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Urban Skiing

ian408 wrote:
I like the look you got in the first picture. Really nice.

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:44 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Urban Skiing

CW100 wrote:
so HSS works with the yn622c - like the first

huh?

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:32 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Urban Skiing

Sklar,
Go back to you post description on the first shot. Your typo is hard to understand. Can you post your Exif and whether you used manual power setting or auto exposure for the flash power? hSS (high speed sync). The exposure looks good. You seem to indicate not as much light as you would have hoped, but my guess, given the brightness of the facing sun and sky, you probably got 4stops+ gain from the flash on hp the skier that would have been black given the exposure of the sky (not blown).

Guy

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM
sklar
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Urban Skiing

Sorry I was unclear!
The 622 triggers are capable of beating the cameras sync speed (hss), I've heard people call it super sync in the case of the yongnuos
I shot at 1/640 or 1/800 I believe, I'm on my phone, so I can't look it up. I popped my ab b800 as fill.
I was disappointed in the amount of usable light, the way the triggers super sync is by taking advantage of the typically slower flash duration of strobes. The b800 has a kind of middle of the road flash duration, so something like a b1600, with a slower flash duration would be better suited to super syncing with the 622 triggers

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Urban Skiing

I am not sure slower duration actually helps with Super Sync due to the way the curtain does the exposure. Essentially above regular sync, the 1st and 2nd curtain move across the sensor together essentially exposing a 'sliver' of sensor at a time (the fraction of full slow sync if you will to crate the higher speed shutter exposure). Most speed light do some fast stobe to coincide with the moving curtains. So power is limited to the shorter duration pop from the strobe and recycle time capable

One other thing you can chek on your strobes... We're they in manual power mode or were you expecting the camera to wirelessly set their power level for the exposure? I the later, did you try Flash EXposure compensation in case the AE was getting it wrong and not bright enough flash for you? If the former, you may want to experiment that the Yuangos are really able to vary the flash power base on AE; there have been mixed info online relative to this and would be really interested in knowing too.

Guy

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Urban Skiing

gschlact wrote:
I am not sure slower duration actually helps with Super Sync due to the way the curtain does the exposure. Essentially above regular sync, the 1st and 2nd curtain move across the sensor together essentially exposing a 'sliver' of sensor at a time (the fraction of full slow sync if you will to crate the higher speed shutter exposure). Most speed light do some fast stobe to coincide with the moving curtains. So power is limited to the shorter duration pop from the strobe and recycle time capable

One other thing you can chek on your strobes... We're they in
...Show more

I'm not sure my description was quite accurate, there is a HUGE thread on the triggers over on POTN, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1212530

Dec 30, 2012 at 06:05 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Urban Skiing

Sklar,
Read through many pages about the Yongnuos via your Lin and saw your last few posts. Are you ab b800s speed lights or strobes? Not sure if you caught it, but Stobes use a hack to emulate HSS called super sync, and with the 622s if the strobe/flash does not natively support High Soeed asynchronous, then you must use the PC sync cable from the 622 and connect to the strobe to let the emulation work. Down side of the emulation is falloff etc. if your b800 doesn't natively support HSS and you didn't use the sync cable, it will fire, but not properly timed for the moving shutter curtain slit of HSS and can reduce light, miss, or create gradient. My guess is that you call into this later situation.

From this how would you diagnose your results?
Also, You can experiment by locking in manual ss and aperture for a test HSS with ettl for flash output, and then walk the shutter speed over a range to see of exposure is maintained at all in HSS. I understand the PCN connect cables are cheap cables on eBay. I would be very curious for your summarized results.

Guy

Dec 31, 2012 at 01:13 AM
sklar
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Urban Skiing

Guy,
The b800 is an alien bees strobe from Paul c. Buff, and I connect mine to the trigger via a PC sync cable.
I've been meaning to do a more controlled test of the triggers and flash.
I'll be sure to share the results when I do!

Dec 31, 2012 at 10:45 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.