Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Weird error on 5D2

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Weird error on 5D2

Hello,

Has anyone seen this weird error? Basically there are lines on the screen and nothing shows up on the top LCD. I tried taking a photo with the camera but the camera is unresponsive.

I tried power cycling it (removing battery and clock battery overnite) and that didn't resolve the problem. I'm going to send it into canon tmrw.

This happened during the normal course of taking a photo. The camera did not get wet and was not dropped.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:32 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #2 · Weird error on 5D2

anyone?

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:48 PM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Weird error on 5D2

Steve, try to reboost with new CF card

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Zander Alberts
• • •
p.1 #4 · Weird error on 5D2

Never seen anything like it! Have you tried pulling the extra little battery in the battery compartment as well?

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:24 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #5 · Weird error on 5D2

Did you drop the camera that you know of?

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #6 · Weird error on 5D2

Damn, that sucks. I know you say it hasn't gotten wet or dropped, but does anyone else have access to your equipment, I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Maybe extreme temp changes? Good luck and keep us posted.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #7 · Weird error on 5D2

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Damn, that sucks. I know you say it hasn't gotten wet or dropped, but does anyone else have access to your equipment, I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Maybe extreme temp changes? Good luck and keep us posted.

I don't know what's with me lately. I miss complete sentences, and my grammar and punctuation is going from excellent to bad. Must be a hitting 50 thing.

I've seen the effect on a notebook LCD, turned out the notebook had been dropped and a tiny little cable (that appeared to be fully inserted into it's tiny PCB connector, was a smidgeon loose.

I'd send it in to get it looked at and serviced.

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:20 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #8 · Weird error on 5D2

Thanks everyone. To answer your questions:

1) I purchased this camera from a member of this forum and it seemed to have been working fine for the past month or two. I work fulltime and only shoot for fun on the weekends.

2) I did not personally drop the camera or get it wet. I can't speak for the previous owner but the camera worked fine for me for the past two months.

3) I tried resetting the camera by taking out both batteries (clock & regular). No luck. Through the white lines, I can faintly see the menu prompts. Camera functionality still does not work tho

4) I tried rebooting with a new CF card too. No help.

5) This happened while my friend was trying to take a photo of me with my camera. Not sure what she did but I doubt it's her fault. At least that's what I'd like to believe.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:48 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Weird error on 5D2

So sorry to hear about this I hope all works out well

Dec 28, 2012 at 04:18 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Weird error on 5D2

My guess is the logic board went.

Best of luck.

Dec 28, 2012 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #11 · Weird error on 5D2

Thanks everyone. I sent it to canon today. I'll update you when I find out.

I also think it's either the logic board went out or a connector got loose. I'm hoping it's the latter.

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:44 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Weird error on 5D2

I've experienced something similar with a laptop when the flex circuit connector slipped out just a pinch. Hopfully it's an inexpensive fix.

Dec 29, 2012 at 01:55 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #13 · Weird error on 5D2

I hope so too

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:25 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #14 · Weird error on 5D2

CPS said it's a fried power source and something shorted it out. Hopefully I'll have more info when the unit arrives tomorrow.

After $153 (which is the flat rate after gold membership), my 5d2 should be back up and running.

Jan 08, 2013 at 05:19 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #15 · Weird error on 5D2

"Your product has been examined and it was found that the power supply assembly had shorted so that the power supply did not operate properly. The power supply assembly was replaced. Product functions were confirmed"

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:35 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Weird error on 5D2

Congrats! Looks like a pretty cheap and simple repair. Nothing anyone can do about that sort of thing except fix it.

Have fun when it gets back.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:48 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #17 · Weird error on 5D2

It came back VERY quickly. Matter of fact: maybe too quickly. There's a hair on the focusing screen so I'm sending it back in to get cleaned out just in case it's something on the screen that I can't clean myself.

On a positive note, it appears that CPS is sending complementary white silk pouches along with their repairs. I'll probably use it in my camera bag to wrap up a lens stored inside.

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:50 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Weird error on 5D2

That happened to a friend who had a shorted CF card. If you know which CF card was in it when it died, you might just want to avoid using it.

It took them two damaged cameras to narrow it down. Expensive!

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:49 PM
py2000
• •
p.1 #19 · Weird error on 5D2

datousteve wrote:
"Your product has been examined and it was found that the power supply assembly had shorted so that the power supply did not operate properly. The power supply assembly was replaced. Product functions were confirmed"

Did you use any after-market battery?

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:51 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #20 · Weird error on 5D2

I'm not sure if it's the same issue. Tech support seems to put the culprit on something else. Thanks for the tip tho! Can't be too careful!

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password