Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Where are your consultations

trillium
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Where are your consultations

Hello,

Currently I have a nice office I share with someone else. My co-renter is moving out leaving me with a $250.00 month to month rent fee. I'm considering finding another co-renter or trying something else out.

Where do you do consultations?

Thanks.

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:35 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #2 · Where are your consultations

I used to meet clients in coffee shops... It was less then desired location but had no other choice. Our apartment wasn't representative enough. Since we bought a house I'm inviting my clients over each time. It's much better situation - they are on my "turf", so they feel a bit restrained, as I rule the space. It also looks much more professional - we are ending up with more signed contracts as well as with more spending couples. Overall it's a win situation for us. But in the future an office/studio place is ultimate goal.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:06 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #3 · Where are your consultations

I'd love to get a studio space, but until then having a cup of coffee in the most non-Starbucks type of place is ideal. Or, if they're down, and don't mind me watching them eat, dinner is great too.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:08 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #4 · Where are your consultations

I've met them at a local Four Points Hotel Lobby with beautiful couches and tables. It has worked perfectly and the clients really like coming to such a nice place. Plenty of room, gorgeous ambiance and always perfectly weatherized.

I do have my own home consulting space also.

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:50 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #5 · Where are your consultations

I've been doing a lot of Skype for my consults. I like it.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:03 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Where are your consultations

I voted "home". I always suggest we meet in my "home studio", which is really just the front room of my house dedicated to client meetings. Then I offer to meet them in a location that may be more convenient to them, i.e. coffee shop. This morning's meeting was at a coffee shop downtown because I'm in the southern edge of town and they were coming from the northern edge of town and had many meetings scheduled for today since they are in town only for the holidays.

Edit to add a story along these lines: Before I used the term "home studio", I used to suggest we meet in my "home" without the option of meeting at a coffee shop. After one such exchange, I had a bride request that we meet in a coffee shop. Awesome, no biggy. When we got there, she was alone and although very pleasant, made no bones about telling me that inviting her to my "home" when she was traveling alone was a little creepy. I agreed and thought to myself, well, I guess our work here is done... As it turned out, we hit if off and she booked me. Lesson learned.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Where are your consultations

I have an office. It's not for shooting. Strictly a meeting space, which can double as my man cave.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:42 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #8 · Where are your consultations

We share a meeting space with other wedding vendors, so our initial meetings with prospective clients are almost always there. We occasionally meet with established clients at our home studio and Skype works great for out of town clients.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:43 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Where are your consultations

Steve Tinetti wrote:
I voted "home". I always suggest we meet in my "home studio", which is really just the front room of my house dedicated to client meetings. Then I offer to meet them in a location that may be more convenient to them, i.e. coffee shop. This morning's meeting was at a coffee shop downtown because I'm in the southern edge of town and they were coming from the northern edge of town and had many meetings scheduled for today since they are in town only for the holidays.

Edit to add a story along these lines: Before I used
...Show more

this is a good story to share, a public place is more comfortable for those reasons

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Where are your consultations

Home = Studio = Office, for me

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LivLif
• • •
p.1 #11 · Where are your consultations

I met clients in coffee shops earlier this year and last. In october I revamped my living room into a comfortable meeting space and I love it. So far I have booked 7 weddings for next year and all have been over the phone or Skype. I really changed the way I talk with them and it has been a success. I love that I have booked them all without having to meet in person, but I would like to meet with some clients in the new space. \

Not the nicest, but i like it.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:00 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Where are your consultations

Coffee shop mostly, their house, etc. I would love to have an "office" but I do not really know how much it would help business.
By the time they are going to meet with you I really think that their mind is pretty close to being made up and I would like to see the statistics on how much a separate meeting space makes a difference.

I do have an idea for a sweet ass studio/meeting space that I hope to realize one day when I find the perfect space.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:50 AM
tdurnan
• • •
p.1 #13 · Where are your consultations

For us still coffee shops. We book to the middle to high end in our area, and know a couple of cool niche coffee shops in our city. I agree with Doug, if they are wanting to meet them you are likely within the last 2-3 togs at most and then it's up to you to close with personal skilz.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:45 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Where are your consultations

I use to do the "coffee shop" thing. Now I meet all my clients in my home. It's much easier for me to be able to show multiple albums and prints.

My booking rate is probably a bit better now than when I was meeting in coffee shops, but I don't think location has much to do with it.

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:22 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Where are your consultations

jcolman wrote:
I use to do the "coffee shop" thing. Now I meet all my clients in my home. It's much easier for me to be able to show multiple albums and prints.

My booking rate is probably a bit better now than when I was meeting in coffee shops, but I don't think location has much to do with it.

It's funny, I think it has less to do with location than most people would figure. I used to have a home studio and I ended up selling the house. I do miss being able to have viewings in the house so people can see their images on a large screen and order prints there while seeing all my large canvas prints on the wall. However, I've found it didn't really have any positive effect on increasing my chance of booking. Now I generally meet people at Panera. It's convenient, it's not as loud as Starbucks can be, there are big tables... Works well. Carrying albums in a big bag is kind of a pain but not the end of the world.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:31 PM
trillium
• • •
p.1 #16 · Where are your consultations

Liv we have to talk reef tanks. Where are your fish? Hiding?

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:45 PM
dlateulade

p.1 #17 · Where are your consultations

I don't get the "home meeting space" thing -- it honestly weirds me out a bit. I have a friend who just rented studio space because a bride came over for a consult, saw that it was his house (rather than a public studio), and just drove off and let him know she wouldn't be meeting with him.

I honestly don't blame her, especially in the case of a male photographer. I wouldn't be comfortable with my fiancÚ going over to some random stranger's house, not to mention the possible baseless accusations it opens you up to.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:09 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Where are your consultations

dlateulade wrote:
I don't get the "home meeting space" thing -- it honestly weirds me out a bit. I have a friend who just rented studio space because a bride came over for a consult, saw that it was his house (rather than a public studio), and just drove off and let him know she wouldn't be meeting with him.

I honestly don't blame her, especially in the case of a male photographer. I wouldn't be comfortable with my fiancÚ going over to some random stranger's house, not to mention the possible baseless accusations it opens you up to.

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've met with just the bride. Most of the time I meet with the couple, the bride and her mom, the bride and her best friend, etc.

But you have a valid point.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Where are your consultations

Panera and non Starbucks right now. In a process decorating my living room. Just installed hardwood floor. Now I need to buy furniture.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:57 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #20 · Where are your consultations

dlateulade wrote:
I have a friend who just rented studio space because a bride came over for a consult, saw that it was his house (rather than a public studio), and just drove off and let him know she wouldn't be meeting with him.

Understandable. Who knows, maybe she or a friend of hers has suffered a trauma in their lives. But there's going to be drawbacks no matter if you meet in a home, office, storefront, coffee shop, wherever. EVERYTHING has pros and cons. My first official studio space was on a second floor of a commercial building and one person said they were suspicious because I wasn't on the first floor. That was probably bs, but it goes to show.

Me personally I always thought you shouldn't trust anyone in a commercial space. They can vacate the same day and you come back tomorrow and there's a FOR RENT sign in the window. I'd rather know where you live. Moving out of your own home takes a lot more doing than vacating a store front.

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password