Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 4x5 Kodachromes

ReneMurea
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 4x5 Kodachromes

I thought you guys might be interested in some stunning 4x5 Kodachromes
Can you believe those pictures were taken 70 years ago with manual-everything cameras?

4x5 Kodachromes

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:17 AM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Amazing images! Hard to believe we abandoned this technology for an inferior one. We might get back to this in 10 or 20 years.

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:28 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 4x5 Kodachromes

As I think he states, he was inspired by shorpy, which pulls most of its content from the Library of Congress, which has some Kodachromes posted in its Flickr stream.

Some images are also available for download through the LOC's website: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/

Dec 26, 2012 at 02:18 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 4x5 Kodachromes

yes I can believe it. Nobody was shooting 35mm 100 yrs ago. If you could get everything right, you'd presumably get higher quality then.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:21 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Remember seeing those some time ago. Im pretty sure they will be amazing in 20 years too.

Even today, 4x5" film scanned with good equipment can give you pretty good files..

Tho since Kodak is out of business, I doubt it will be same colors. If something Kodak really knew it was colors. Some of these slides are like if it was shot yesterday..

Colors are something in which are most digital cams pretty tragic..

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Colours from film *could* be great, but it was very much like digital is now - rarely perfect SOOC (unless it's transparencies and then you'd better really know what you're doing).

Pro-grade transparency films had relatively short optimum shelf life, often came with recommended colour correction filtration to be included at time of exposure (i.e. cyan, yellow, magenta corrections), which changed from batch to batch (so photographers bought in huge quantities and tested emulsions, refrigerating/freezing them for long term storage), changed with length of exposure as well, and were at the mercy of the lab maintaining chemistry within manufacturer tolerances. Add to that, the moment the film dried, it slowly began degrading.

In comparison, digital is a piece of cake for photographers. Maybe a custom colour profile is needed for absolute best results, but otherwise a few tweaks here and there in software will result in consistently better results with much less effort.

What I find more interesting about these images is the lighting employed by some of the photographers. While perhaps a bit stylized, obvious care, thought and planning went into many of these staged photos, in part because one simply couldn't show up and wander through the factory shooting hand held available light at ISO 6400... So, I guess you can say the look is somewhat influenced by the technology of the day. ISO 10 vs. 3200+...

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:17 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Also of interest, all/most of the images at that site, shorpy, etc. culled from the LOC collection, have been retouched and colour enhanced, therefore you're not really seeing how the film *really* looks now, after 70 years.

See the original http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/2179855516/

and compare it against the blog linked by the OP:

Or this one:

vs.

Not the exact same shot, but same shoot...

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:26 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Kodachrome processing is not very good for the environment.
That said, it has quite a unique look.
I prefer the unprocessed originals.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:52 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 4x5 Kodachromes

AmbientMike wrote:
yes I can believe it. Nobody was shooting 35mm 100 yrs ago. If you could get everything right, you'd presumably get higher quality then.

Oskar Barnack shot with the first 35mm STILL photo camera (the Ur-Leica) 99 years ago. So um, yeah.

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:55 AM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Kodak is not out of business. That is misinformation that needs to stop being perpetuated. A great many current companies have been through bankruptcy, some of them more than once. The best case for all of us is that Kodak ends up like Ilford, which of course was bought out and allowed to continue as it was.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Nothing wrong with the raw scans.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:37 AM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 4x5 Kodachromes

rscheffler wrote:
a few tweaks here and there in software will result in consistently better results

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:32 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Zaitz wrote:

Context being consistant color.

Dec 27, 2012 at 09:38 AM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Thrice the Leica basically came out in the 30's

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 4x5 Kodachromes

luminosity wrote:
Kodak is not out of business. That is misinformation that needs to stop being perpetuated. A great many current companies have been through bankruptcy, some of them more than once. The best case for all of us is that Kodak ends up like Ilford, which of course was bought out and allowed to continue as it was.

As far as I know, they dont make film anymore.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:13 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 4x5 Kodachromes

They certainly do. Ektar, Portra, TMAX and Tri-X are all still being made.

Dec 27, 2012 at 05:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 4x5 Kodachromes

I think Kodak sold their film division though. I am not sure when that is effective.

Dec 27, 2012 at 06:51 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Not yet. It's up for sale. It would be a big deal if we knew who was going to take it.

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:05 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 4x5 Kodachromes

Many of those posting on this forum don't have the experience, resources and time (and even a lighting and hair/makup crew) to control the lighting as was done in these pictures. Truth be told the Film/Sensor just records the scene. The lighting is where the rubber meets the road.

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 4x5 Kodachromes

SoundHound wrote:
Many of those posting on this forum don't have the experience, resources and time (and even a lighting and hair/makup crew) to control the lighting as was done in these pictures. Truth be told the Film/Sensor just records the scene. The lighting is where the rubber meets the road.

The vintage Kodachrome images don't need controlled lighting to look insanely great.

In the roundhouse at a Chicago and Northwestern Railroad yard, Chicago, Ill. (LOC) by The Library of Congress, on Flickr

Santa Fe R.R. locomotive shops, Topeka, Kansas (LOC) by The Library of Congress, on Flickr

Farmland in the Taconic range, near the Hudson River Valley in New York state (LOC) by The Library of Congress, on Flickr

Hanna furnaces of the Great Lakes Steel Corporation, Detroit, Mich. General view showing tank which stores gas from the coke oven. Square building and extension in middle ground is where coal is fed to a feeder belt and then transferred to a storage place by The Library of Congress, on Flickr

Adams:

Dec 28, 2012 at 09:39 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password