Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · candid
  
 
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · candid


Your thoughts on this candid? Culling through things to free up disk space.

D2X
80-200 f2.8
185mm
f2.8
ISO 100
1/200 sec

Regards,

Bob







Dec 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM
alatoo60
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · candid


I like the portrait, but it seems different crop may bring attention to the eyes.


Dec 26, 2012 at 01:08 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · candid


alatoo60 wrote:
I like the portrait, but it seems different crop may bring attention to the eyes.



Thanks for your thoughts - my mental breakdown is three diagonal areas, the rightmost negative space balancing the lighter to its left. Perhaps that does not work for many folks? Coupled with the inclination of her head, I'm not sure more a square crop would work?

To me, focus on the left eye is problematic, but then maybe it is my tired eyes and a new set of contacts?










Dec 26, 2012 at 01:25 AM
gneto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · candid


It's ok, DoF is too thin IMO, lighting is good, expression is more on the good side also, nice catchlights on the eyes. But it doesn't really appeal to me... probably because the expression doesn't move me in any way.


Dec 26, 2012 at 01:28 AM
gneto
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · candid


Bob Jarman wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts - my mental breakdown is three diagonal areas, the rightmost negative space balancing the lighter to its left. Perhaps that does not work for many folks? Coupled with the inclination of her head, I'm not sure more a square crop would work?

To me, focus on the left eye is problematic, but then maybe it is my tired eyes and a new set of contacts?



Your composition works for me. Focus on the left eye indeed is problematic, that's why I said DoF was too thin - but I'm aware some people don't mind it as long as the closest eye is in focus. But it does look odd in this image. The mouth also appears to be out of focus, albeit just slightly.



Dec 26, 2012 at 01:32 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · candid


+1 @ Gustavo

Different crop might make a diff @ re-balance neg space... kinda "ping pong" at negative space as is, and neg space on right is approximately same weighting as subject.






Edited on Dec 26, 2012 at 02:27 AM · View previous versions



Dec 26, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · candid


gneto & RustyBug,

Thanks for your thoughts...back-story: wife giving me a look of moderate disapproval and tolerating my trying to capture a candid. I think the focus issue is a showstopper - cannot sharpen what ain't already sharp.

Thanks for looking,

Bob



Dec 26, 2012 at 02:19 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · candid


RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Gustavo

Different crop might make a diff @ re-balance neg space... kinda "ping pong" at negative space as is, and neg space on right is approximately same weighting as subject.


Yup, better - thanks,

Bob



Dec 26, 2012 at 02:24 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · candid


Maybe a visit to our old friend ... "canvas"

(and a little blur @ left eye)







Dec 26, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Bob Jarman
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · candid


RustyBug,

Thanks for the alternative but I am going to wait for another 'photo-op'.

Bob



Dec 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM





FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password