Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

eddie1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Please could I get recommendations for an Epson printer both new and used
(eBay) to print fine art quality prints no larger than 16"x 12" for an exhibition ?

Thnks

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:10 PM
eddie1

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

To clarify which is the minimum spec Epson printer. That will make high quality prints ?

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:15 PM
jdrenda
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Epson 3880 or the 3800 which I have and it produces excellent prints

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:20 PM
chez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Why just Epson. Both HP and Canon ake wonderful large format printers.

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:47 PM
luminosity
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

The 3800/3880. Just be sure you're prepared to print on a regular basis-- the ink will go bad if you don't. It's not the kind of printer you can put aside for two or three weeks.

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:20 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Go to your local pro-Lab and have them print it!

Unless you know how to print, which it doesnt sound like (no offence) get someone who knows how to, in particular if you are going public with your images. You do want them to look their best!

Henrik

Dec 28, 2012 at 03:44 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

luminosity wrote:
The 3800/3880. Just be sure you're prepared to print on a regular basis-- the ink will go bad if you don't. It's not the kind of printer you can put aside for two or three weeks.

I have 3880 for years. At times I don't touch it for months and to my surprise, I soon as I push print, It gives great quality prints, as usual. I never turn it off.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:13 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I have had the 3880 for about a year. No problems. I have gone 6 weeks without printing and no problems.

I also have the 7900. Both will print at professional quality.

Printing involves a whole different skill set.....but most of us around here love learning, so go for it.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:38 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I saw at atlantic exchange they have $300 rebate on the 3880 until the 31st I believe. I've had 3800 and now 3880 for a long time and they are great printers. I haven't had any clogging issues, but I do print a couple prints every few days usually.

Dec 29, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

luminosity wrote:

I don't agree at all with your two or three weeks. I put my 3880 aside a lot longer than that without any problems. And the ink have never gone bad. I was abroad and didn't print with it for nearly a year. And it was no problem to just push the on button and start to print. No bad ink or clogging at all

Dec 31, 2012 at 02:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Whaler
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Epson 3880 . . . . . . . I've had a similar experience to Lars' post.

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:33 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

i dont print at home anymore. i out source to a non so local lab in bristol.
get your moniter calibrated, send them some small files and adjust your setup as required.
try www.redcliffe.co.uk , an awesome company who have been superb in supplying me with quality imagery time and time again.

s

Dec 31, 2012 at 08:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Would one be preferential to the other for printing B&W? I have printed very little (outsourced) and have been concerned @ issues from infrequent printing that have kept me from entering the printing realm.

Hearing comments like those expressed here @ no real issues from intermittent printing ... I would expect to print 2-3 projects / month, which might have 2-4 week intervals between usage.

What kind of costs per print (realistic) can one expect from B&W vs. color from these Epsons? I also like the 12"x16" size as the OP mentioned, so that makes a good reference size. I'd also like to print a few pano's ... if that makes much difference @ 3800 vs. 3880.

And has anyone had any experience with using Jon Cone inks in these two models?

Dec 31, 2012 at 09:17 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I've had a 3800 since they were introduced. Never had any problems with ink even after a month or two of not printing...
Great printer as I'm sure the 3880 is too....FYI

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:54 AM
iweiner

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

I have been creating prints with the 3880 for the past 3 yrs--superb color & B&W--right out of the box!!!
When the OEM inks ran low, I switched to 3rd party inks of known hi qual--inkjetcarts, Cone, Inkjetfly, InkRepublic. Check dpreview for more additional discussion. My $$$ savings is 80%--even more so now that Epson raided their cart prices. And the 3880 to $1215, before the present $300 rebate!

I'm presently using the 80ml carts from Cone--auto reset, easy fill and great prints. I use the Colormunki to profile all my OEM and 3rd party print profiles. With the Cone system you can run your Epson OEM carts in parallel, a convenience, especially in an emergency!
Clogging has not been a problem, even after a 2 week layoff--but I do make the effort to run a nozzle check weekly.

good luck irv weiner

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

parsons wrote:
i dont print at home anymore. i out source to a non so local lab in bristol.
get your moniter calibrated, send them some small files and adjust your setup as required.
try www.redcliffe.co.uk , an awesome company who have been superb in supplying me with quality imagery time and time again.

s

But it's not at all the same feeling to have a large print in your home that a lab have done for you. To take the photo and then do the printing also, makes it much better (IMO).

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:21 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

iweiner wrote:
I have been creating prints with the 3880 for the past 3 yrs--superb color & B&W--right out of the box!!!
When the OEM inks ran low, I switched to 3rd party inks of known hi qual--inkjetcarts, Cone, Inkjetfly, InkRepublic. Check dpreview for more additional discussion. My $$$ savings is 80%--even more so now that Epson raided their cart prices. And the 3880 to $1215, before the present $300 rebate!

I'm presently using the 80ml carts from Cone--auto reset, easy fill and great prints. I use the Colormunki to profile all my OEM and 3rd party print profiles. With the Cone system you
...Show more

Third party inks? I have been with Epson since the begiining of inkljets. Once I tried generic inks, i ran back to Epson in a hurry. it might be different now, but it would take quite a few convincing for me to try it again.

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:24 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

nugeny wrote:
Third party inks? I have been with Epson since the beginning of inkjets. Once I tried generic inks, i ran back to Epson in a hurry. it might be different now, but it would take quite a few convincing for me to try it again.

Have you checked out Jon Cone inks? "Third Party" to be sure, but not exactly what I would call "generic". More like "specialized" for the Epson nozzles ... not putting down the Epson OEM necessarily, but the Cone inks are an offering beyond what Epson provides in the B&W realm. I'm thinking there is a significant difference between cheap generic vs. quality third party.

I've not used the Cone inks yet ... but they "call to me" ... once I get my image making & pp under control to be worthy of such printing. Maybe 2013 will be the year.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:24 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But it's not at all the same feeling to have a large print in your home that a lab have done for you. To take the photo and then do the printing also, makes it much better (IMO).

you get it so right. If you take the photo, PP and print it, you can claim 100% credit for the final image. In my case, I even frame it. It is a pleasure to see the image emerging from the "press."

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:36 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommend me an Epson printer for fine art prints

nugeny wrote:
you get it so right. If you take the photo, PP and print it, you can claim 100% credit for the final image. In my case, I even frame it. It is a pleasure to see the image emerging from the "press."

Same here. Significant cost and learning curve, but the gratification is worth it!
BW from the Epson 3800 can be stellar, using Epson inks.

Scott

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:54 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password