Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · For play

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · For play

This is a ho him image, but I thought it would be a good one to work on for post processing. I would like to get your processing on the SOOC and teach us all some stuff.

It occurs to me we could learn how to post process, but also how we want the final image to look,

sooc

my rendition.

Dec 24, 2012 at 05:00 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · For play

Ben; Would love to play along but I am on a non-color managed monitor without LR, CS5 or any PP hardware. I will eventually get set back-up.. GL, Jim

Dec 24, 2012 at 06:44 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #3 · For play

My take at it.

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · For play

Took a stab ...

Dec 24, 2012 at 07:06 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · For play

Hi Kent:

As with gneto, you have added contrast and darkened it somewhat which adds drama.

I see a color balance layer but do not see much color shift just darker.Which photo filter did you use?

When I was working on mine I masked the water and sky especially from sharpening.

Dec 24, 2012 at 08:10 PM
Oregon Gal
• • •
p.1 #6 · For play

Ben, you're re-work is similar to what I envision for the image. I prefer to keep the foreground lighter in color, personal preference, and I tried to add some additional detail to the water which I think helps the image overall.

Dec 24, 2012 at 09:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · For play

Those darn reeds. I have been searching for a place to get to waters edge along this lake. I found one place about 15 miles south of here but the north end is hard to even approach and when you do it is full of reeds. So I Incorporated them.

Your tone on the reeds is probably more accurate than mine. I wanted to keep the mountain white to emphasis the snow, just as you did.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · For play

Not so much a noticeable shift in the color balance, just keeping the whites close to neutral prior to pushing things as a preventive measure so as not to amplify an otherwise indiscernible cast.

The photo filter was just a light overlay of the blue (chosen from the sky) to help smooth out some banding that occurred from pushing the lower layers. I went back and made the sky a bit smoother in the BG copy layer to address the banding as the photo layer was of nominal assistance to smooth the transitions.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · For play

I see the banding now. I wonder why? It was an easy exposure with no filter at ISO100. Maybe the result of darkening?

Using a photo filter to correct it is something I never thought of.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · For play

Well, it was more of an experiment that didn't pan out as well as I had hypothesized.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lylejk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · For play

Just took you literally.

Thanks for the play.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · For play

It probably looked like that yesterday.

Dec 25, 2012 at 04:09 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · For play

Or, working from gneto's, with a crop, tweaks and also a B & W version:

Dec 25, 2012 at 06:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · For play

Thanks Karen, another high contrast version plus a B&W. I tried a B&W yesterday (different image) but I had no clue on how to get such dark sky's. Well I could mask and darken, but I was looking for a color change that makes blue black.

The high contrast is interesting. Oregon Gal is the only one who left it about the same as mine. This makes me ask if I have a tendency to produce images too low in contrast for the taste here?

Or is it simply a way to get drama where natural drama is missing?

Dec 25, 2012 at 07:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · For play

It's easy to darken a blue sky when converting to B & W. I used the color sliders (blue &cyan) dragged back in Silver Efex Pro, but you can do a similar thing with a B & W layer in photoshop:

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · For play

Thanks, I used Topaz and slid the saturation to zero. I don't have Exif

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #17 · For play

So far, I really like Oregon Gal's foregroung, Kent's mountains (and clouds) and lylejk starry sky. Still undecided on the water...

Dec 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · For play

Yep, I like Oregon Gals version best, perhaps a bit less blue on the water and a bit darker on the sky. But I certainly prefer the whiter mountains which they were.

Rippling water does not take sharpening well. It stops looking like water and starts looking like blue sand or gravel. I almost always mask it from sharpening and sometimes even smooth it some.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:40 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · For play

Ben ... curious @ what film did you primarily shoot with ... or what film would you choose to use as your "go to" profile?

I was a dedicated FujiChrome 50 shooter @ -1/3 (excepting VPS 160 for weddings) which likely explains my profile tendencies.

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · For play

I was a Kodachrome 25 user. When I used 64 I set it at 100. But I usually used 25. I tried Fuji 50 a few times but that was near the end of my film days. I quit because of inability to manual focus.

But I was an f32 guy because of something I had read about DOF, and was using cheap lenses to boot. Maybe some of the softness was diffraction. These days I usually work at f8 and use good lenses.

It could be that I got used to soft images? These days I do minimum sharpening, just enough to correct the &^%%$ AA filter.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:00 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password