Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · DELL XPS 12

Edward Castro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DELL XPS 12

From some of the videos I've seen both screens can be used at the same time, either a clone, or independently from each other. But I'm sure using both screens will drain that battery in half the time.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DELL XPS 12

Here's the video I was talking about.

Dec 26, 2012 at 04:25 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DELL XPS 12

Bifurcator wrote:
Yup, sounds like a bummer. Although I'm not sure what 65% of sRGB would actually look like. Do you actually notice any difference between that and say a $250 23" IPS or TN monitor?

Actually i don't really notice the restricted gamut, what i notice more is the poor viewing angles. I don't even try to do any photo work on it anyway, as its just too small.

As for the XPS-12 being LED backlit, where did you see that? That's interesting. And of course other than a potential contrast boost and a more evenly lit display, I'm not sure what that implies either. It sounds good tho! Or maybe not either Isn't LED backlighting electrically more expensive? Seems like that might be a battery drain? No?

The info is on Dell's webpage for the E6320. Easy to find on google. No problems with battery drain though - with the extended battery fitted i get 7 hours or something for normal use.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:33 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DELL XPS 12

Edward Castro wrote:
From some of the videos I've seen both screens can be used at the same time, either a clone, or independently from each other. But I'm sure using both screens will drain that battery in half the time.

Here's the video I was talking about.

Yup, sure looks like it! Cool!
I just wonder how useful that is in practice and if the upsides outweigh the downsides...

Bifurcator wrote:
Yup, sounds like a bummer. Although I'm not sure what 65% of sRGB would actually look like. Do you actually notice any difference between that and say a $250 23" IPS or TN monitor?

15Bit wrote:
Actually i don't really notice the restricted gamut, what i notice more is the poor viewing angles. I don't even try to do any photo work on it anyway, as its just too small.

Bifurcator wrote:
As for the XPS-12 being LED backlit, where did you see that? That's interesting. And of course other than a potential contrast boost and a more evenly lit display, I'm not sure what that implies either. It sounds good tho! Or maybe not either Isn't LED backlighting electrically more expensive? Seems like that might be a battery drain? No?

15Bit wrote:
The info is on Dell's webpage for the E6320. Easy to find on google. No problems with battery drain though - with the extended battery fitted i get 7 hours or something for normal use.

Interesting!!!

Welp, thanks to all who participated so far!!! I'm still open to comments and opinions from anyone about anything related....

Thanks!

Jan 18, 2013 at 03:23 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DELL XPS 12

My kid is a junior in college studying Industrial Design and just ordered:

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
768GB Flash Storage

Looks to be a screaming machine that will handle just about any graphics needs he has.

Jan 18, 2013 at 04:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DELL XPS 12

How much was that?

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DELL XPS 12

Expensive...roughly $4K with all of the software. He has a PC that had started overheating. Doing graphics, the Mac has always seemed the way to go.

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:51 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DELL XPS 12

Yeah, I like apple goods. But mostly because of the OS. OS X is so nice! It reminds me a lot of AmigaOS which I like best overall so far. BeOS wasn't too bad either. Of course MS is copying a lot of the good stuff from OS X lately so Win7 and Win8 are also pretty good - from a user POV. If you actually look at the hardware and the design attributes however, like cooling, power connection, general connectivity, speed, battery life, and so on Apple goods are way substandard at their relative price-point. Not everything I guess but most of their portable goods for sure.

I went ahead and ordered the XPS-12 and with the highest specs available plus the dock I think it came to like 130,000 which is like $1,450 (with the Dell loan program fees and interest that goes up to $1,750 tho). That's with 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, USB 3.0 x2, BlueTooth 4, WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n), Win8-Pro 64bit, Corei7 (3517U), MiniDisplay connector, HD 4000 gfx , and of course the 12.5" 1080p touch-screen. The only things missing really are a memory card reader, and a pressure sensitive pen system. I guess a USB3 card reader is only like $25 tho.

Anyway, I can't find anything better. Under 3kg with a fast 4 core, 16/32 GB RAM, touch screen, convertible form factor, nVidia based GFX, and a 24 hour battery would be nice but it just doesn't exist yet - damn them!!!

Jan 24, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DELL XPS 12

Well the XPS-12 arrived a few days ago and you can color me fairly impressed!

The build quality is exceptional and one of the best I've seen in a slim type laptop. It feels noticeably sturdier than the MB Air for example.

The touchscreen works really well with Win8. Installing some games cause conflicts with the touch drivers and touch locks up. killing the process, uninstalling, and restarting recovers everything - back to normal. It's happened 3 times with about 5 or 6 different game installs. So something like Angry Birds may not work on this machine until Dell fixes their touch or HD4000 drivers.

In just a few days of use the nature of this device as a convertible has proven to be something kinda wonderful. I'm really glad I didn't get a detachable screen type! But either the swivel types or this floppy thing will be very useful to photogs, students, or really anyone using the device in small groups or while standing / walking around with it.

It can easily be used for editing photographs on a professional level in batches of a few hundred at a time. I ran just about every benchmark out there and it does really well in the PS and Gimp batch speed tests. Gimp is pretty stable on Win8 too - nice! It's display gamut is supposedly lacking according to the reviewers but when I compared images on it with the same displayed on my workstation machine they were identical in terms of color accuracy and narrow gradients.

The SSD mine came with is a Lite-On-It LMT-256 M3M which I had never heard of but which tests very well! (see the attached image below).

The gfx card (HD4000) could handle all the video, large image manipulations, and simple OpenGL I could throw at it! But it's not a game machine and the heavier games need to be run at their low settings to get a decent frame rate. In full 1080p resolution with everything the card supports turned on I was getting about 15 to 20 FPS from most games and 3D benchmarkers. Set to their lower setting at something like 1024x576 most of them produced playable results - for all but the most elite gamerz. There's now 3D external graphics solutions available for thunderbolt and I guess USB 3.0 too so if you get fired from your job and wanna vedge out with some games for a bit it is always possible to upgrade the thing externally and get those 200FPS rates in the heavy games.

The battery lasts just what all the reviewers say it does - about 6 hours with normal constant use and got about 4 hours out of it while running heavy bechmarks like furmark 1.10.4 - which incidentally produces an FPS average rate of 10 in its default 720p benchmarking mode - fullscreen. But for 1080p BR rips playing while surfing around with the web browser it laster about 5 hours. I can imagine that during a hot summer day the device might /feel/ a little warm after running full tilt for 20min or more but inside at 23c˚ 30% RH while editing GH2 images for about 90min in my arms in tablet mode I didn't notice any heat at all. It didn't even seem to get warm. Furmark burn-ins heat it up to something noticeable but still not uncomfortable to any degree. This is different than the iPad or the other laptops I've used - which can sometimes feel uncomfortable to hold especially for long periods. I'm not sure how they're keeping it so cool tho because it's an extremely quiet device! <shrug>

The 1080p resolution at 12.5" or whatever it is, is NOT going to be ideal for the over 50's crowd. You can zoom in and out at a touch and also set larger default GUI font sizes but some dialogue boxes from some 3rd party apps and applets initially display at a very tiny size. My kids had no troubles but I sure noticed it and had to make use of all those features in order to read some things or touch-click some (too tightly packed) buttons.

The keyboard on this unit is a real pleasure to use! This is also unlike most other laptops which barely suffice. It feels as good as the newer Mac (aluminum slab) keyboards which I like quite a lot.

The screen digitizer isn't pressure sensitive so it's not real great if you're doing a lot of sketching or brush work but there's a 3rd party pen in the works which promises to fix this.

In all I like it quite a lot and for $1200 to $1400 I'd choose it again too - given what else is currently out there to choose from. I'm digging it.

SSD Speed Test Results

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:15 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password