New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

I just got back from an African Safari trip and I took 2 cameras 1 Canon SRL and Panasonic LX5. However, I just uploaded one of the SD cards and found out some weird stuff.

1- the sequential numbers are in order, but the the shots don't match the actual sequence when I took the shots.. There were some shots that I know I shot them after the 8th day, and yet they showed as being shot earlier. Does that make any sense?

2- I also noticed that I can't see any videos that I shot. I played them back after shooting the vides so I know I captured them as a video.

Now I'm having a tough time trying to get my files organize but it's a challenge.

Dec 21, 2012 at 02:40 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

To rename photos with sequential names/numbers from multiple cameras, I use irfanview freeware from http://irfanview.com

File... Batch conversion/rename... (select all pictures from both cameras for each day)... Add... Sort files... by Date... Name pattern: 2012-12-dd_####... Options: starting counter: 1001... increment:1... OK... Start batch.

Dec 21, 2012 at 03:35 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

So is this is a very common anomaly? If so, what can possible cause this. I have hundreds of images that are out of sequence as far as the timeline; but the numbers are remaining in sequential order.

For instance, I have a group of images that I took on the 12th but they showed on the 10 (Lumix camera).

But my Canon showed the correct dates and number sequence. Man this is going to take me for ever to fix. Or maybe I should just follow the sequential numbers but place them according to the correct sequence.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

I think its your upload software. What are you using and are there any weird settings? I've never had this issue and the only thing I can think that would do this are-

1) the battery crapped out and you had to or were supposed to enter the date and time again

2) something faulty with the memory card or camera, making the data unstable.

Try playing the video in the camera that took it in the first place. See if it still works.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Like Clarence, I rename my images with a timestamp (GMT in camera), but using Bridge in CS6.That way I only have short bursts that might be out of sequence since my D300 only has time to the nearest second.

If you like sequence numbers, many of these programs allow you to rename that way as well. You might need to rename by timestamp first and then rename again by the seuqencing method you want to use. If your internal clock(s) somehow were reset, then it may become more of a manual process....

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:12 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

I'm using LR 3 which I've always done, but get this I'm also viewing directly the SD card and got the same results. I'm also using ZoomBrowser (just to view not to upload and of course it reacts weird because sometimes this App doesn't recognize the images because it was shot with a non Canon, but sometimes I'm able to view the images.

Is not so much that the sequential numbers don't match with the images but rather not matching with the real sequence. For instance, I visited a school outside of Ngorongoro on my way to Arusha on the 13th and yet it shows the images way before that, and the it shows as they were shot on the 10th.

The batteries were fine I had plenty back up with me and was always monitoring if I had to replace the battery. One more thing. I have installed the App that came with the LX5 and tried to view the same SD cards just in case, but no change. Again, the videos pooof gone. It seems that the camera somehow converted the videos into Jpeg or just vanished completely.

I'm very anal how I keep my images. I create folders for the days and location shots. Yes, I know kinda redundant since I'm using LR but its a habit of mine. I travel extensively and so its easier for me to just look at the list of folders. I sometimes place images from the same subject even though they were shot on different dates.

However, in order to fix my current problem this is what I'm doing.
I'm looking at the SD card in one window, using Finder. Then I have LR to view the images already uploaded and check them side by side. Then once I see they are out of whack then change the date on the folder not the images and place them on that folder. I usually name the folders with the country name, location and some name of the shot. Because of the redundancy on the name of the folders sometimes I add a (number #,ie., #33, #33a. I realized this is antiquated, labor intense but is the only way I can double check the sequence.

I'm not going to bother to change the sequence number on each image, that would be too labor intense. Nevertheless, I'm devastated that not a single video was saved. Imagine the videos I shot seeing the animals during the tail end of the migration. Don't laugh the only videos I got which are not too many, are those shot with my Itouch, who knew lol.

I tested the SD cards before I went on my trip and they were fine. I got them from B & H. I'm heading now for Iceland next month and feel a bit apprehensive since I was planning to take some videos of the Northern lights, if I'm lucky.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:28 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Clarence,

Thans but I don't believe the app you suggested works with a Mac that's what I'm running, Do you have any other suggestion of a good app to upload from a Panasonic to a Mac. I've been using LR though

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

redbarn wrote:
So is this is a very common anomaly? If so, what can possible cause this. I have hundreds of images that are out of sequence as far as the timeline; but the numbers are remaining in sequential order.

For instance, I have a group of images that I took on the 12th but they showed on the 10 (Lumix camera).

But my Canon showed the correct dates and number sequence. Man this is going to take me for ever to fix. Or maybe I should just follow the sequential numbers but place them according to the correct sequence.

Did you delete any files in camera? Maybe the out of sequence files used the vacant file names

Dec 22, 2012 at 05:39 PM
JJBub
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

I've never had anything happen like you are explaining, but are you not loading files daily onto a laptop? When I travel, I download all the cards each evening and put them into a dated/titled folder. I back them up to an external drive, then load them into Lightroom.

I know it can be a pain to carry a computer with lots of photography gear, but I think it is worth it. I just sold my 15" Mac Book Pro and purchased an 11" MacBookAir. This will lighten my carry-on load a bit and gives me a lot of peace of mind. If I see something goofy going on (like losing video or something), I can check it out and try to remedy before the next day. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I use all SanDisk cards and reformat in the camera before each use.

Hope this helps a little bit and good luck with your sorting. I hope things work out.

Dec 23, 2012 at 05:44 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

JJ
Trust me same here I'm dumbfounded here scratching my head. Unless, I'm going crazy or an acute attack of Sr moment, lol.
I know for sure that I visited the schools before going to my hotel and yet it shows the sequential number showing the opposite. I'm going to contact the safari guide to confirm when we actually stopped at the school. This is driving me crazy.

Another thing that I'm not going to bash my head. But you wouldn't believe this. I hesitated big time to take a small netbook and portable HD in order to back up my SD. Well, got so busy never put any time to do that. This time I'm not taking the netbook period.

Dec 24, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

So this is only happening with the LX5?

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

yes, and found out something else

One day I took shots of my room starting at 640 and the next shot shows #664. How come it jumped to that #. I never deleted anything and I was only shooting my room. Very weird.

Then I found some shots that I took of some zebras but since the were running wild, I vividly remember shooting some videos and now all I got still images. As I said I'm going thru the painstaking process of reviewing one by one and if I find the images not assigned to the right date, I put then in a new folder with the correct date, but can't change the info in the IXIF and IPTC.

This is very weir behavior. I found some shots that I know I shot them on the 13 my last day and yet they came up as shot on the 10th, and some are totally out of sequence. I wouldn't contact Panasonic even if you pay me they are worthless.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

I was going to say to contact the manufacturer...

I wouldn't take a camera that I don't trust to places that might be once in a lifetime visits.

When I went to Yucatan 2 years ago I traveled with 2 HD (250 gb) and a laptop. When I had a download glitch I lost everything on one of the HD and had to reformat it. Luckily I had the other and transferred everything so that I always had 2 copies.

The one HD was always on my person in my photo vest. They have lots of pockets and zippers for a reason.

Dec 27, 2012 at 08:55 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Did you format the card in the Camera before using it in each camera? Have you checked the setting on the camera for file sequencing

Dec 27, 2012 at 04:07 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

are the date stamps is metadata wrong or just sequence #'s? LR3 can sort by capture name and then you can rename with a sequence #. Is the issue fixing the problem or just trying to figure what happened?

Also, not to overlook the obvious, the counter didn't reset during the trip did it? I'm sure you shot 1000's of photos. Not trying to insult - just offer possibilities.

Dec 29, 2012 at 07:05 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Sorry guys for taking so long but being busy yep working on these images. No I didn't format the cards since I didn't want to remove anything until I had them uploaded to my desktop at home. I checked the settings it was fine except that for some reason it didn't record the travel time, so the dates and time was a bit off, but that shouldn't be any reason to cause the videos to disappeared.

I checked on google map to verify the position of the town that took the shots on the 13th (even tho the camer showed as being shot on the 10 with the continuous sequence #). And indeed I'm correct the shots had to be shot as I suspect it on the 13, and not among the shots from the 10th. Does this makes any sense?

I also noticed something new and maybe I might be able to get some suggestions. When I rt click any image it only shows Last opened or modified dates. The date created shows ____. The only way to find the created date is to view them using LR. Is there anyway that I could change this. I'm using a mac.

Dec 30, 2012 at 01:43 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Guess what I just found out?
I put one of the SD cards back into the built in card reader on my Mac. The images that I uploaded were in a folder named DCIM.There's another folder named AVCHD which has 3 folders:
AVCHDTN it shows this THUMB. This folder has 2.3 MB. Another subfolder named TDT I see a small thumbnail from a video clip and have tried to open with Bridge, LR and even the app that came with the camera nothing. It seems that this where my videos are hiding. Another subfolder THUMB.TID, but its empty and it looks like an executable file .exe but can't open it
BDMV . It looks like the MV stands for movies or videos. It contains 6 gig, so there's something in there.
A subfolder named CLIPINF, showing 133 items with the ext .cpi.
STREAM containing 133 items with the ext .mts. I tried to open with LR it, didn't work. Then tried with VLC default. and voila there were the videos some as big as 5G gig.

So what the heck is going on. How I can view these videos. I have uploaded videos before from the same camera using LR and same desktop. Any suggestions?
IISVPL

Dec 30, 2012 at 03:10 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

That's normal behaviour for a camera that records videos in AVCHD. It's only cameras that record in motion jpeg that store videos in the DCIM folder. And yes, it's a total PITA.

In LR you probably selected the DCIM folder to import from so it ignored the AVCHD folder. If you try to reimport the card selecting the WHOLE card and then tick the import from subfolders options you should be able to import the videos without reimporting the still images.

Not all software can read AVCHD files, so you may need to use the software that came with your camera to play them unless you already have a later copy of something like premiere elements. Then you can easily convert them to something a bit more universal.

Gordon

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:40 PM
redbarn
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Gordon,

It has been driving me nuts, and consequently I decided to find out what the files .MTS with the intend to see if by any chance I could convert the .MTS files to MOV. So I found this App "Wondershare Video converter". But its only a trial. I have installed and tried to convert a batch of files. But I'm still not too familiar with this App so aborted the whole process because I have no idea how to set up the output, and not only that I think I should make a copy of these MTS files before I convert them.

My camera has the option to shoot on AVCHD or MOV or Jpeg. Unfortunately, during the ride to my safari which was very rough almost like being inside of a washing machine the settings got change and I guess with all the excitement
I never checked the settings.

I did exactly what you suggested to upload the whole card using LR, then selecting the folder that contains the files. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I have used others Apps including Bridge and nothing. I don't believe my camera (Panasonic) didn't include an App to upload the images. The only CD I that camer with the camera its only for editing.

I found out that AVCHD files are to be watched on TV. I am going to make a copy of the files before converting them and save them into a DVD and then try to view them using my DVD player and see if that is going to work.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:17 AM
jchin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I am dumbfounded is this possible

Have you moved that memory card to another camera? Or used another memory card in the Lumix? I am talking about during the time of your pictures in questions.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:48 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.