Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HS Wrestling

Frank Lauri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Wrestling

I've been out of touch for a while because of the day job that had me traveling and 12-13 hour days. So I haven't been shooting much...but starting to get back into it now with the holiday tournaments gearing up.

Here are a few I got last night for the local paper for my first wrestling of the season. The school is very old and the lighting is pretty poor but I was hoping for this (kinda) because I wanted to see how the 1 DX performed under these conditions. I was very pleased with the results.

I was using the 135 2.0 lens and ISO 5000. SS was 1/400 for all except #3 which was 1/800.

C&C welcome.

Thanks in Advance
Frank

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Wrestling

Frank, I like #4.

I am going to try wrestling at some time this Winter. I hear some of these meets are all day events so it is going to be interesting for someone that doesn't know wrestling like myself.

Thanks for sharing.

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:34 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Wrestling

Mark....thanks for looking and commenting. Some of these meets can last 2 or more days depending on how many teams enter. Some have up to 10 or more mats going at one time.

What I normally do is get there early and find out who the event or tournament director and I make contact with that person and ask what the format is...to include the quarter, semi and finals. As it closer to the end....they normally will pull up some of the mats and then the finals are done on one mat. As this person if he can get you a copy of the bracketing for the day you are there. This will help greatly and depending who you are there to shoot...you can determine an approximation when they will wrestle. Also find out how the mats are numbered. If you go to the wrong one....it can screw you up.

Also....at each mat there is usually a scoring table and a clock. Normally they have the names and weight classes for the bout going on. Save time and take out your phone and shoot a pic of that info. Then go back and sort it on the fly to the next bout.

Depending on the experience of the event or tournament director....these things can run pretty smooth or be total chaos. I've been at both and my brother in law is the PIAA D-2 Director and when I get there he already has bracket rosters printed for me and a chair at the table where the final bout results wind up and I can get necessary info there.

This info could be totally different from how it happens in your area....this is the way the PIAA for D-2 does it in this area.....Hope it was helpful.

Best thing is to ask some questions before the meet dates and that way you will have some idea how they are run in your area.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Wrestling

Some very good captures.

As an ex-wrestler - I enjoyed them very much.

Results are very good. Bespeaks the new equipment.

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Wrestling

1. is fantastic! One of the best wrestling photos I've ever seen. Hands down.

Dec 20, 2012 at 06:13 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Wrestling

Also like #1, nicely done Frank. Wrestling is like gymnastics, very difficult to get names at this level.

Chris

Dec 20, 2012 at 07:34 PM
volyrat
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Wrestling

Frank - these are outstanding as usual.

#4 is a great view of the DOF you were working with - the Ref's arm (and wedding ring) is perfectly sharp and his face fades away.

Thanks for sharing these.
Bob.

Dec 20, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Chris Burt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Wrestling

I agree with the rest of the guys about #1. Incredible content!

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Wrestling

Thank You everyone for taking the time to pop in and comment. Caleb...that was the one the paper ran.

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:40 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Wrestling

Thanks for posting Frank! The breakdown of how your tourney played out really helps some of us breaking into the sport approach our days. I am finding shooting sports events is the easier part, getting in the right place at the right time for the person or team you are shooting is sometimes the most difficult task!

Awesome shots as always. I like the use of the prime. Gives me something to ponder when I do this.

from the looks I am guessing you are allowed to get pretty close to the mat as well. Do you run into occasions when access is restricted forcing you to shoot with longer glass? Many thanks

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:06 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Wrestling

Thanks Manny....Yeah - you got it on being where you need to be when you need to be there. Not bad if all the mats are in one location but for this one tournament I shoot (which will probably start next week), there are mats in the gym and then there are mats at the other end of the school in the cafeteria which is a 2-3 minute walk.

As for being on / off the mat....I've never been asked to move off....in fact there were a few times the refs saw me right off the mat sitting on the floor and they told me to move onto the mat for more comfort. I normally like to sit on the mat when shooting but during these tournaments....the edges sometimes get a little crowded with some of the other wrestlers being spectators. But for the most part as long as you are not way onto the mat and only at the edge....there is no problem. This could differ throughout the country though.

For these shots, it was an individual meet with two teams and I was sitting on the floor about 3 feet off the mat..on the corner. In this case....there really wasn't much real estate to choose from. Two sides of the mat had the wrestlers benches and the other two sides were the cheerleaders. So I had three corners to pick from and the reason I took this location is I usually find out before the event, what position the wrestlers are in when they are down. I like them to be facing me....the results of #3. Sometimes it works...sometimes I'm seeing the back sides...

For the tournaments and invitationals....normally there aren't cheerleaders to contend with but there are other obstacles....such as a scoring table and clock for each mat, another table for the media sports writers, another table or a line of folding chairs for the officials. An then there are the officials. Regular season there is one referee. For these bigger events, there are 2 per mat and if there are 10 mats, there are at least 20 officials plus a few extras for relief for these guys.

The best thing though is get there early....at least 60 minutes before it starts and find the person in charge and get the do's, don'ts and whatever else in between from them.

Dec 21, 2012 at 08:56 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Wrestling

Thanks Frank! Much appreciated

Dec 21, 2012 at 09:00 AM
amlsml
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Wrestling

frank, WOW these are really, really good. tried wrestling last night and ended up formatting my card they looked like crap. Will have another go this week.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HS Wrestling

#4 for me. Great job on getting all those expressions.

Dec 21, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HS Wrestling

Andy and treebeard....thanks for looking and commenting. Tree....been to MB several times for vacations as the kids were growing up and for golf trips. Great place down there and the Hooters up the road from BF Landing is the best I've ever been to. Speaking strictly of the cuisine of course.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:53 AM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HS Wrestling

Caleb Williams wrote:
1. is fantastic! One of the best wrestling photos I've ever seen. Hands down.

I wish all papers could run photos of that quality. I'm spoiled a bit because I get see the excellent work in the Minneapolis Star Tribune (and of course the Pioneer Press) but the small town papers are all hit or miss (mostly the latter).

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.