Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

awad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

My girlfriend was second shooting for another photographer in the beginning of november and when she got home at the end of the night, noticed that her 580exII was gone. After confirming the main photographer didn't accidentally pack it up, we called the venue and they didn't have it either. Since it wasn't expensive enough to file an insurance claim, we just chocked it up to a loss.

Sure enough, today the main photographer called us and let us know she received a package from the bride containing our flash. Apparently someone she knew took it (not sure why...) and she was able to get it back.

phew.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:25 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

that's bizarre, isn't it?

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Perhaps the person who took it also shoots Canon, and they took it thinking it was theirs? Or a friend/spouse/boyfriend or girlfriend packed up their goods at the end of the night, thought, "It's camera gear, so it must be my partner's"?

Not saying theft doesn't happen, but sometimes honest mistakes happen, too.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:03 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #4 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Nikon_14 wrote:
Perhaps the person who took it also shoots Canon, and they took it thinking it was theirs? Or a friend/spouse/boyfriend or girlfriend packed up their goods at the end of the night, thought, "It's camera gear, so it must be my partner's"?

Not saying theft doesn't happen, but sometimes honest mistakes happen, too.

I don't even think that's what happened. The equipment was in the bridal suite, I think in everyone's haste to clear out at the end of the night, it probably just got thrown in someone's bag.

I just wanted to hear if anyone got things stolen at a wedding.

One of my friends was second shooting at a wedding and before the wedding, they went out for lunch and consequently got their car broken into and all their equipment stolen an hour or so before they had to start shooting. They were able to scramble and borrow the equipment they needed. But ever since then, I carry all my wedding essentials with me if I need to do something before or after a wedding.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Doesn't sound like it was "stolen".

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:38 PM
Betacamman
• •
p.1 #6 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I had a little boy take a 580EX from my bag at the reception and chase girls around using the test flash button. His mother was not amused.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:41 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #7 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

amonline wrote:
Doesn't sound like it was "stolen".

sounds like you're a criminal sympathiser. WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING THE CRIMINALS

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:53 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #8 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Betacamman wrote:
I had a little boy take a 580EX from my bag at the reception and chase girls around using the test flash button. His mother was not amused.

Haha that's awesome!

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Deebo
• •
p.1 #9 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Betacamman wrote:

I couldn't even really be upset at that cause that's just plain funny!!

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

awad wrote:
sounds like you're a criminal sympathiser. WHY ARE YOU DEFENDING THE CRIMINALS

LMAO WTF Where did I say that? If you actually knew me, you'd realize how ridiculous that remark is.

The fact is, it sounds like you left it in the bridal suite.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

awad
• •
p.1 #11 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

amonline wrote:
LMAO WTF Where did I say that? If you actually knew me, you'd realize how ridiculous that remark is.

The fact is, it sounds like you left it in the bridal suite.

just messing with you.

and that's probably exactly what she did. haha.

Dec 19, 2012 at 07:58 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I once stole Keith Lee's 5DII and 35mm 1.4 at a wedding and went home with it. True story.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:12 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I lost a 24L at a wedding. I was not amused.

Dec 19, 2012 at 08:49 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #14 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

joelconner wrote:
I once stole Keith Lee's 5DII and 35mm 1.4 at a wedding and went home with it. True story.

Plz give us the whole story

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:10 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

awad wrote:
I don't even think that's what happened. The equipment was in the bridal suite, I think in everyone's haste to clear out at the end of the night, it probably just got thrown in someone's bag.

I think this sounds pretty reasonable... 2 years ago, we were at a wedding and at the end of the night, we had an extra lens cap. Now usually we can't find all of our lens caps, so the fact that we had an extra one was surprising. I went over to the bride's uncle who had been taking random snaps with a 5D and a 24-105L and sure enough, he was missing his cap... someone must have found it and assumed it was ours. It was tossed into a part of our bag that we'd never put caps into.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:25 PM
joshmitchell

p.1 #16 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

I've left small items behind, but never had anything stolen. I also cable lock my bags to something that is relatively immobile, and lock the zippers as a deterrent. Insured or not, replacing gear when you have a wedding the next day would not be ideal.

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:29 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

playerofwar wrote:
Plz give us the whole story

I was shooting with Keith a few weeks ago...I was borrowing a body because I had just sent all of mine into Canon for cleaning, and I was using one of his 35mm 1.4's earlier in the day. Both ended up in my bag, and we realized we had them on the way home :-)

Dec 19, 2012 at 09:29 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #18 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

Dude this year alone I've had 3 580exii's grabbed, 2 600ex's, a Canon 15mm fisheye and a 100L IS grabbed. People working these higher end venues see these "rich" folks with these "extravagant" weddings and they just think, whatever, they can afford it.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM
awad
• •
p.1 #19 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

DannyBostwick wrote:
Dude this year alone I've had 3 580exii's grabbed, 2 600ex's, a Canon 15mm fisheye and a 100L IS grabbed. People working these higher end venues see these "rich" folks with these "extravagant" weddings and they just think, whatever, they can afford it.

man, was this all in DE? that's insane.

but for $200 bucks i'll stand next to your equipment all day. think about it...

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #20 · Ever have your gear stolen at a wedding?

A number of years ago, I had my backup 35mm bag lifted. Nikon FM2, vivitar 285 flash, 35 1.4 ais, 180 2.8 ai and an inexpensive E series 75-150 3.5 zoom and a handful of portra 400 135.
What an annoyance and unpleasant experience.

Lesson learned.

Happy your flash was returned.

Dec 20, 2012 at 02:07 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password