Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · National Geographic bag

bvphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · National Geographic bag

Any thoughts on the following camera/laptop bag?

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Backpack-whistle-included-Cosmos/dp/B005HTUVOE/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355895088&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=national+geographic+explorer+backpack

Looking for something light, that can a few things besides camera gear.

Dec 19, 2012 at 05:49 AM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #2 · National Geographic bag

Looks not so good. The waist belt is just a strap. That means all your weight goes on your shoulders which is not fun. Canvas? Heavy, heavier when wet, long time to dry. I'd never get a pack that is not made from synthetic materials and does not have a least some minimal padding on the waist belt.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM
bvphotos

p.1 #3 · National Geographic bag

Good points. The other thing I realized about this later on is that there's not much space additional camera gear, particularly long lenses.

Do you know of an alternative bag that might work better for me?

Dec 19, 2012 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · National Geographic bag

really depends on your needs...
I have the f-stop loka for travel which allows me to carry on all my gear including a 400 mm f4. I could hike all day with this. I can include an icu for the camera gear or not. Very nice day pack that is not just a camera bag.
For walk around with a camera and one lens, tiny flash, nd filters I have a hiking quality fanny pack with a slightly padded belt and thick shoulder strap.

Dec 19, 2012 at 06:13 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #5 · National Geographic bag

That's a very inexpensive bag too @ $80! The f-stop bag that was recommended is on the other end of the spectrum -
f-stop Loka, Matrix Pricing:
Shell Only (No ICU) - $279 // Shell + 1 ICU - $339 // Shell + 2 ICU's $399 // Shell + 3 ICU's $449

There are a TON of alternative bags out there, and a lot of it does come down to your budget. For the most part, and of course there are exceptions, you get what you pay for in a backpack. Weight, comfort, carrying capacity, features and ease of use all come at a price.

Just like when a friend or family member asks me which camera kit, lens, etc, to buy - I ask two important questions which I think we'd need to know to be able to help you.

1. How do you plan on using this bag? More info than just light weight and room for other gear would be helpful. *wink*
2. What's your budget?

Oh, and what exactly are you carrying, both in terms of camera gear and other non-camera related items. So, three questions.

Cheers,

Randy

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
bvphotos

p.1 #6 · National Geographic bag

Yes, f-stop is expensive. To answer pixelrandy's questions:

1. 50D or 6D (doubt I'll carry both) + 2-3 lenses (24-105, 100mm, 50mm or 100-400) + misc. stuff like cards, chargers, etc.
2. Budget is open, but I want something that's value for the money
3. In terms of non-camera gear: my computer, snacks, etc.

Dec 20, 2012 at 03:29 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password