Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

geniousc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I learned for one thing not to do business with people with limited feedback . Buy from long time active members only, not the ones just just here to use B&S. The other thing is to back your purchases with a credit card instead of funding from a pp account. Buying from B&S has soured my taste after this one. You really do have to be careful even from highly acclaimed professional people as was the case here.

Gene

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:09 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.2 #2 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Another thing would be, never, ever use pp gift or personal transfer. I would be eating a defective lens right now if I did.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:35 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #3 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Excellent feedback, Gene. I'm glad it worked out for you. FWIW, even though a long time member here, I got sucked into ignoring what another person noticed here straight away and that is that the lens mount was not that of the lens itself, but of the TC. given the sequence that the seller had set up for photos of the lens, front, one side, the other side, I just naturally, and stupidly, made an ass of myself when I assumed that the lens mount was also of the lens.

I hope you left this guy "Poor" feedback for a sale that borders on clear misrepresentation.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.2 #4 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

Thanks Anthony,

I left him good feedback based on the initial part of the transaction. But it will be changed to "poor" in which case he will probably do the same to me. But I think have enough good feedback to overcome anything he can say. I played it straight throughout the transaction only arguing his misrepresentation.

Gene

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:41 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I agree, Gene, he appears to me to be behind the feedback curve. glad it worked out for you.

Dec 20, 2012 at 01:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

geniousc
• • •
p.2 #6 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

The seller recieved the lens back this morning. He replied immediately saying that the lens worked fine on his D3. This has almost turned into a commedy, I tried the lens on my D800 and a friends D700, stone cold dead on both but of course it works perfectly for him. I told my wife when I shipped it that he was going to come back with "there is nothing wrong with it". The man needs help. BTW, I have all of my money back from PP, less than 24 hours from ship time

gene

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM
HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I'm glad you were able to get the situation resolved. However, I'd like to comment on your point about never buying from someone with little feedback. Of course you should use caution on EVERY transaction, but everyone starts somewhere. I've only sold on the B/S forum twice and bought twice. I've been lucky in that the people I've bought from were true to their word about their merchandise. I've made sure that my listings were spot-on when I listed my merchandise and the buyers were happy. Obviously I am one of those users of the B/S forum with very little feedback so this thread was very interesting to me and very telling too.
Every situation is unique. Don't count out someone's post strictly on low feedback numbers is all I'm asking.

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:23 AM
geniousc
• • •
p.2 #8 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I totally respect your position and your opinion, we all have to start somewhere. But I would still rather buy from an active member with a proven track record. If you can reference other feedback, usually that will be enough for you to get established on B&S.

Gene

Dec 21, 2012 at 04:59 AM
HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #9 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

And Gene, thank you for bringing to light something we all know is out there. I am sure what you went through was time consuming and incredibly frustrating. It is unfortunate that we live in a society in which we can't trust someone's word.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · Buy & Sell Woes!!!

I dunno, I don't think we can assume he actually and intentionally lied. Geniousc, you have 109 positive feedbacks with zero bad or neutral ones. He has 9, 0, and 0 - Although all his are in the distant past that's the ONLY difference I see between the two there. I figure there's about a one in five-thousand chance of running into trouble and it doesn't matter if it's the person's 10th sale or his 110th. The odds remain the same. In fact I think it's kinda slimy of a person with 109 good marks to suggest otherwise!

Describing the lens as only being used twice: He actually said in his ad: "I am the original owner of this sparingly used lens."

The malling on the mount could very well be due to a bur on his mount or a few grains of some gritty (like sand or something) substance. And two or three days of use like that would mar it up pretty bad.

On the issue of it working, then dying, then coming back to life again for him, Well I've had that happen too. Twice. Once over an exchange like yours and once with a lens I won't ever sell. The first was with a Nikkor 105/2.8 AFD which worked great for me and I knew was fairly new (still well under Nikon's warrantee - which is international!). I sold it to someone and 3 days after they got it they reported back to me that it had died. I had used on a Nikon film camera so I figured the contacts were just dirty or something. So I told the buyer to clean the contacts with a clean pink pencil eraser and/or rubbing alcohol and retry. I guess it's been working for her ever since because she never reported that it ever stopped working again afterwards. Had she I would of course accepted the return no questions. If it's new/new-ish then Nikon will do the fix so no sweat there. The other is with a Pentax 18-55 kit lens. And it "dies" sometimes for weeks at a time then suddenly resurrects itself with no apparent causes. It has me stumped. But it's a $15 to $20 lens so I'll just use it as a paperweight when it's dead or on my 4/3 in MF mode.

All of these same things could happen with a purchase from just about any shop. Most of them have strict no-return policies and few to zero useful pictures of the items.

IMO, I think he probably was not telling the truth but there's like a 25% chance that he was too. Also IMO I think the seller should have accepted the return (as he initially agreed prior to it's death) even after the break-down. In my very strong opinion PayPal was completely and totally in the wrong and should be sued for the "decisions" they made here. Besides the obvious discrepancies the fact remains that the lens worked for both the seller and the buyer. And then it broke while in the buyer's possession during his use of the item. Great! So now just any old monkey can order a $4,000 lens from me not covered by any warrantee , use it for his three-day adventure and then trash the sucker, electrocute it destroying all the electronics and call it in to paypal for a full refund.

No one else sees the low-down dirty scumbag detestable behavior in that but me? They're really nothing more than a bank. They know nothing of camera equipment and judging by their policies (as I've seen over the years) even less about criminal behavior. So IMHO they should keep their noses out of it all together pending actual fraudulent behavior can be proven or at least very clearly shown. In this case I guess the right thing happened but there's a chance it didn't either.

IMO:
The seller was wrong to be a dick about things and not being more careful to describe his wares more accurately than he did - but not technically in the wrong - pending some other proof than what has been said here so far.
The buyer was wrong for getting PayPal to actually perpetrate a potential fraudulent action on his behalf.
And PayPal was very very wrong for going along with it!

Am I wrong?

I dunno, but the one thing I've learned from reading this is to not trust Paypal AT ALL! My advice to everyone is to hook up your PayPal with savings ONLY accounts and at the first sign of trouble zero that account out before PayPal screws you over!

Man, that's rank!

Dec 26, 2012 at 01:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password