Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

russdenney01
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

So,

I am curious as to what input you guys have for displaying photos on large (i.e. 45-50+ inch) displays and/or high def TVs.

When I display my photos on my 55" Samsung HDTV, they look terrible! Contrast and colors all jacked up...resolution not great even if I size the images to native HD resolution of the TV...

However, I see galleries and other places displaying nice photographs on these same devices...

Would this be solved by a simple calibration or am I missing something?

Thanks for any input.

Russ

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:48 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

Calibration for one (very few of the TVs have true color reproduction or an IPS panel), resolution for another, these TVs are probably only 1080p (1920 x 1080), so if you're using a higher resolution, there is whatever downsizing the program or TV is doing to your photo. You'll need to calibrate the TV or calibrate for the TV as well as sharpen for 1080p res.

I just realized you already down size. The other issue is, how close are you standing to the TV? A 55" Samsung is meant to be watched about 6-8 ft away; viewing distance. Any closer and it'll look bad due to the pixel size of the TV. I believe in art galleries they use either higher density displays or you're standing further back naturally.

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 06:08 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:06 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #3 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

I have tried downsizing the image to the native resolution (1920 x 1080) and it didn't really help.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

I just looked up 55" TV, best viewing area is 7-13 ft away.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #5 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

I view pictures on my 52" HDTV (uncalibrated for color) from my couch (6.5 ft away) and it looks fine to me, resolution wise.

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 06:15 PM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #6 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

Yes. That makes sense...I'll have to try and calibrate to see if that helps with the color sat, etc...looks like crap right now...

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:12 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #7 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

What connection and/or device are you using to display your pictures? What cord type too?

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:13 PM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #8 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

I put SRGB profiled JPGs on a thumb drive and plugged directly into the TV - there is a photo browser built in...

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #9 · Help on digital display/monitor issue

I see, I use a laptop connected by VGA cable and other devices by HDMI. I don't know how well the built in photo viewer is.

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password