Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Icewayy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Hi,

I am working in building a weeding/portrait photography business but just starting.

Currently, I own D600 and 50 1.4.
My starting budget is around $ 10000-12000.

I was thinking in a next addition: Nikon 24-70 or 70-200 vr-II. I mean, probably I will buy both but not at the same time$$$$. Would you recommend?.
I am planning too buy flashes sb-900 or so and a second body in a future.

In addition, I am planning to buy a Mac. Any recommendation??. Mac Pro or Imac?. I have and IPad 64gb. I read forums and some persons think od Mac Pro better option with a nec pa-27/4.

Please I need help. Any recommendations for my initial budget would be really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance
????????????

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:54 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Troll or spam?

Meh, same difference.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:00 PM
Icewayy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Jamebjenkins,

I don't get it...

Look, I am serious about my business. This is the first time in this forum and I don't know how it works. my post was sent two times.

Please save that answer for you. It's offensive.
Thanks

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:24 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Both of those are mainstay lenses for wedding photography, and since you have about 10K to spend, why not get'em both. If you want to save a few bucks, buy used. I'd also invest in a wide prime (28 f1.8G is a good value, but not f1.4) and a long/tele prime (85 f1.4) by Nikon or Sigma. Flashes, if you want to save, get used SB-800s. In some ways they are better than the 900s (I have 2 of each, BTW).

I'm not a Mac guy, so you're on your own there.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:29 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

I would go with the 24-70 or the 24 1.4, 35 (sigma) 1.4 and 85 1.4/1.8 (both amazing). Flash, second hand sb-900's are as good as a new 910. (primes with second body maybe)

Mac, you kiddin me? Windows 8 is the way to go if you want an affordable and lightning fast system... I would recomend Intel core i7 (quadcore), nVidea graphics cards, 16 GB of ram, SSD's in RAID 0. Had an iMac (+- setup of above, without the nVidea graphics card), dumped it for a system that was half the price with windows 8 and this system is a beast. (mac was sluggisch for editing D800 files). The OS is also a dream to work with. Add a Dell Ultrasharp (2x) 24" or 27" and you will be able to do anything.
If you can really not work with Windows, then make a Hackingtosh.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:37 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

24-70 vs 70-200, seriously? It's an either/or question? They're completely freaking different. If you can only afford one I guess go with the 24-70 as a 'normal' lens, but you can't be that serious about this as a business if you're getting one lens...

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Deebo
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

eNoBlog wrote:
Both of those are mainstay lenses for wedding photography, and since you have about 10K to spend, why not get'em both. If you want to save a few bucks, buy used. I'd also invest in a wide prime (28 f1.8G is a good value, but not f1.4) and a long/tele prime (85 f1.4) by Nikon or Sigma. Flashes, if you want to save, get used SB-800s. In some ways they are better than the 900s (I have 2 of each, BTW).

I'm not a Mac guy, so you're on your own there.

+1

If you really do have a 10k-12k budget, just pull the trigger on both and find a couple that are like new in the for sale section here. done deal. Doesn't sound like much of a dilemma to me.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Icewayy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Thank you so much. I'll take a look to both in here.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Icewayy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Playerofwar,

I always have been using windows. I heard that you have a lot of crushes using photoshop and of course virus..
So, I was considering the Mac way. But i know everything about windows.

Thans

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:59 PM
eNoBlog
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Icewayy wrote:
Playerofwar,

I always have been using windows. I heard that you have a lot of crushes using photoshop and of course virus..
So, I was considering the Mac way. But i know everything about windows.

Thans

Windows 7 user here: it's solid. Notice how Apple no longer runs their classic blue screen of death commercials? MSoft got it right, finally.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Invest the least that you can until you get your business on solid ground. The biggest mistake new business owners make is to become laden with bills and have no money to build your business or have back up funds for unexpected issues. If you are currently using a PC platform, stay with it. Don't change to Apple simply to do so....wait........you'll find out soon enough if it's something you want to do. .....good luck and great shooting !

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Icewayy

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Thanks misty23,

You got it. That's a good one.

I didn't know if I would have computer power enough for photoshop processing.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:14 PM
roland hale
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

For 10k, I think I'd shoot for both.

If you go that route, you'd save considerable cash by getting a used, older model of Nikon's 70-200, the IF-ED or whatever version. I've used that lens quite a bit and it's fantastic (not to mention at least $1,500 cheaper than a new VR II.)

To directly answer your question though, if I HAD to choose, I'd start with the 24-70. Hands down.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:16 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

The smart thing to do is save $1500 by buying a good PC instead of a Mac and buy both lenses. you need a backup camera body of course also if you are serious about wedding photography... But the main point is that there isn't anything a Mac can do that a PC cant do for a lot less money.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Icewayy

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Thanks,

It is agood idea. I will go PC way. Do you recommend any special set up/branch/ configuration to have for a long time (using photoshop, Lightroom, nik ...).

Thanks again

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:39 PM
adimage
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

I don't know much about starting a business where you are, but this seems quite a strange way to start a business.

My first guess is that your photography skills are not that great. If you wonder whether you should get the 24-70 vs 70-200, I doubt that you have any experience shooting a wedding. First of all, the 50 is not even close to being wide enough. The 70-200 is a great portrait lens, but it's not going to help you into a crowded room. If you want to get a full-body image of a bride getting ready into a tiny room, you will more than likely need something like a 24mm focal length. So, there is no question about it, you will NEED something wider than 50. Also, depending in the type of events you shoot, you may also need something longer than 100mm.

I would think like this:
- Do I have a decent computer?
-> If yes, then try Lightroom/PS on it. If it works, don't worry. Also get an antivirus program.
-> If no, get a recent one with a decent configuration (windows based) and work with that.

The reason for this is that you will not need too much computer power in the beginning. You won't have that many jobs to justify spending a few thousands on computer hardware and software. When your computer will slow you down, you will have the money to get a shiny new Mac, because you will have so much (paid) work to do on it.

Then camera gear:
- You will NEED two cameras. You don't want to get your beloved D600 broken in the middle of an event like a wedding. So, go for a used D700 as backup.
- Get the 24-70 and maybe a cheap 85.
- think about all the small things you will need: a lot of cards, batteries, chargers, bags, all kinds of small things that will add-up and will cost you something
- try to buy used items.

Keep some of that money for other expenses like a good site, some promoting of your business.

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:51 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

I was going to reply to this thread at the beginning, but held off. Many others have said what I was going to say (but didn't want to seem harsh).

Basically, you're going to have a hard time if you plan on jumping into this industry cold turkey. It helps VASTLY if you already have some sort of basic photography skills and a decent computer. It takes years for most people to really get good and you will likely struggle with your business until you can deliver work on par with the prices you would like to charge.

You need to have a serious plan before you just drop $10k like that. I'd say the least of your worries is "what lens do I buy?".

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Icewayy

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Thanks everybody,

You've really helpfull.

Deepbluejh, I realize I am going to have a hard time just starting. I think everybody is in the same boat. I am preparing myself and improving my skills, reading books, etc.. I mean I am just testing the waters before investing that money plus education. I know education and practice are the key. I am going to wait till almost master my skills. So, I want to know as much as possible but you have to start at some point. I understand I you have a lot money to invest it would be easier but I think there's a lot people out there just starting with low budget. Or the only way to be sucessful it is having big packets.

Thanks for you feedbacks and answer. You guys are helping a lot.

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:29 PM
joshmitchell

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

Essentially with wedding gear you have to be able to finish the wedding if something breaks. So two bodies, two flashes, and enough lenses that if one goes down you can finish. I see you are located in California, which to me says if you're doing weddings you will primarily be doing them outdoors. So your need for a fast long lens is less of a priority than wide to medium fast focal lengths. I recently gave up the 70-200 in favor of a 135mm because I A) use two bodies, B) prefer primes, and C) wasn't finding the need for the range with outdoor ceremonies.

So I'd say:
2 - D600
2 - SB900 or 910
1 - 24-70
1 - 50mm
should be your first purchase priorities. Then when you have all of that get a longer lens. Either 135mm, 70-200, or something along those lines. And since you won't likely be using the longer lenses as much, you can buy used or older versions to cut down on costs.

I'm a Mac person and would never buy a PC because I can't stand the operating system, but Lightroom and Photoshop work just fine on either platform.

Incidentally I do have a used SB900 & 135mm. You can PM if you're interested.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM
keithdunlop
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon 24-70 vs 70-200.starting business

1. Write solid business plan, first.
2. Invest in expensive fixed assets, second.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password