Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Brody LeBlanc
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Alright so, after spending most of the afternoon getting familiar with RPP, I am to put it simply amazed. It is without question the best RAW developer for X-Trans images at the moment. The software took a little while getting use to and I'm still adapting, but reviewing the 16bit .tif files I worked on today through RPP, I'm definitely getting nicer images than what LR4.3 renders. All they need is a bit of noise removal with files over 3200 iso.

RPP seems to work best with camera settings as such: RAWs set to 100%DR (not AUTO or 200%.) I tried setting my camera to -2 highlight, -1 shadow, 0 noise, 0 sharp, 0 color and shooting maybe +1/3-2/3 on the exp. comp. dial. This seems to render the most "flat" files for RPP to work with. Tweaking auto WB via RPP, then k64 color preset plays very nicely with most images. They look slightly warm but it's a good start.

I've tried several different RAW developers and to my eyes, RPP gives the most organic, natural files to work with.
Oh and for previewing, I'm going to be shooting RAW+(s)jpg so that I can view them all in pairs in one folder once on the computer.
I figure if I like the SOOC file the most, I'll be able to match it pretty closely with some practice with RPP then some LR or PS.

Of course, I'll get some examples/comparisons but all I can say is I like what I'm seeing and almost feel as I could get use to this as my everyday work flow. I almost gave up until I tried some "easy" RAF files and couldn't believe how sharp the 50% rendering was in RPP. That's without any added sharpness. If you're willing to spend a day working out how to use RPP and own a Mac, seriously try it out.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:24 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #2 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Brody: this is great to hear. I have RPP myself (among many others); and you like the look of the K64 preset the best.

My question is about the camera settings: does RPP recognise these settings in the Raw files? I do recall from using RPP a year or so ago that the files need that additional exposure you mention (otherwise they look very underexposed; I recall that there is an explanation; found it—interested folk can read it HERE.

I have been shooting the large FINE jpegs, as noted before, and I have been amazed how good they are. So, second question: when you get around to it, can you show us a jpeg SOOC and then one of the RPP ones processed from Raw? If RPP can improve on the jpegs, definitely worth another look.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:46 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.4 #3 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

hey so now that we're done listening to that troll, i have a few questions:

how's the AF on this thing compared to the x100?

how's the EVF compared to the x100? specifically, you know how the x100 EVF is kind of shaky until you auto focus, and then it becomes smooth? i'm wondering if the EVF on the x-e1 is smooth all the time.

also, what's up with manual focus? i thought i read something about some of the new lenses having different MF implementation or something.

i love my x100 and am wondering if i should try out an x-e1 with like the 14 and the 35

Dec 26, 2012 at 03:59 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
Brody: this is great to hear. I have RPP myself (among many others); and you like the look of the K64 preset the best.

My question is about the camera settings: does RPP recognise these settings in the Raw files? I do recall from using RPP a year or so ago that the files need that additional exposure you mention (otherwise they look very underexposed; I recall that there is an explanation; found it—interested folk can read it HERE.

I have been shooting the large FINE jpegs, as noted before, and I have been amazed how good they are.
...Show more

I don't believe that RPP reads jpeg setting metatags, right? If so, I'm not sure how RPP would be affected by Brody's jpeg settings. Interesting.

Fwiw, from what I've seen, the camera's jpegs are still a better option than RPP conversions with X-Trans. RPP is superb with detail and color, as it is with most cameras, but it elicits tons of aliasing/moire with X-Trans files. Lots of zipper-like artifacts and color moire.

Dec 26, 2012 at 05:15 PM
ceder
• •
p.4 #5 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

RPP gives better resolution than LR4, but RPP indeed has a lot of color artifacts, and terrible zipper-like artifacts all over. And the user interface is no better than Silkypix, so why use RPP instead of silkypix? And resolution... well, RPP gives no more resolution than the JPGs, but the images may appear to do so (different sharpening + artifacts gives this impression).
No, so far the best Raw converter is the in-camera converter. However, Capture One has a beta out that according to rumours is top-notch. Lets wait and see...

Crossing my fingers

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:07 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.4 #6 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

ceder wrote:
However, Capture One has a beta out that according to rumours is top-notch.

As in equal or better than OOC jpeg, says the forum folks.

I can't wait to see.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:36 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #7 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

cedar said:

However, Capture One has a beta out that according to rumours is top-notch. Lets wait and see...

Yes indeed. I downloaded and installed C1Pro7 this week in anticipation.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.4 #8 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

I will most likely switch over to C1Pro7 once the update hits. Simply because a lot of files I process don't need much work but I prefer flexibility of RAW shooting over jpg when I do need to do a lot of editing. The samples I've seen online blow LR's conversion out of the water. If you don't feel like dropping $300 on software, here's an unscientific comparison between a SOOC jpg & a RAF file developed through RPP then imported into CS5 for some basic touch up's. Obviously, I added the color/tone to the RAW conversion where the JPG has a more generic look/color. Personal preference really.

Grapes - [RPP+Photoshop vs SOOC jpg] - Fujifilm X-Pro1 w/ XF 35mm f1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Grapes - [RPP+Photoshop vs SOOC jpg] - Fujifilm X-Pro1 w/ XF 35mm f1.4 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:20 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #9 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Really Right Stuff finally loaded photos of the L bracket, plate, grip and the whole "kit" earlier today:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=BodyFujiXE1

I have been on the Pre Order list for the "ki"- of the L Bracket and the Grip for some time. I hope to have it soon.

This is the link:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BXE1-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BXE1-Set%3a-includes-Base-%2b-LPlate-%2b-Grip

Once I receive the RRS L Bracket and Grip, I will post photos of it with the camera along with my Novoflex Leica R Adapter, Novoflex Rotating Collar, soft release etc.

Rich

Jan 22, 2013 at 01:55 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #10 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

As an update, it is taking RRS longer to release the Grip for the Fujifilm X-E1 L bracket than I had hoped or expected. I broke my order up and the L Bracket was shipped today. Hopefully I will have it by early next week. The Grip for the camera will be coming separately and RRS is hoping and anticipating receipt of some of these toward the latter part of next week. So, hopefully my Grip will be shipped to me late next week. As, mentioned, I will post everything once it is all in hand.

Rich

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #11 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

As a further update, the RRS L bracket for my Fuji X-E1 arrived this morning in the mail. It fits the camera really well as do all of the L brackets from RRS. I will wait for the arrival of the Grip from RRS before I post photos of the set-up with my other items for my system.

Rich

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:38 PM
alba63
• • •
p.4 #12 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

@ Rich: I also received the RRS camera plate for X-E1 yesterday, I like that unlike in the Fuji grip there is an opening in the RRS plate to open the battery/ SD slot. I don't understand how Fuji could forget that. However I prefer the Fuji way of attach and remove way without a special tool. Both make the camera bigger (higher) and a bit heavier, obviously. I did not order the L bracket for not adding unnecessary weight. With a camera that light tilting the ballhead to the side should be less of an issue as with a DSLR with lens.

A question: When manually selecting shutter speed (because Auto ISO doesn't allow setting of a low shutter speed limit) I often dial in an "in between" speed between 1/60s and 1/125s with the direction buttons.
However the camera keeps switching back to the original selected speed (via the dial), I haven't yet understood when or how.

Is there a way to permanently set the in- between shutter speed?

Cheers
Bernie

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:02 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #13 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

alba63 wrote:
@ Rich: I also received the RRS camera plate for X-E1 yesterday, I like that unlike in the Fuji grip there is an opening in the RRS plate to open the battery/ SD slot. I don't understand how Fuji could forget that. However I prefer the Fuji way of attach and remove way without a special tool. Both make the camera bigger (higher) and a bit heavier, obviously. I did not order the L bracket for not adding unnecessary weight. With a camera that light tilting the ballhead to the side should be less of an issue as with a
...Show more

Bernie,

The opening in the bottom of the RRS L brackets are one of the special features that they offer to access the battery and other functions of the cameras. Normally I would not expect to have to remove the L bracket from the Fuji camera body except to install the grip once it arrives. By the way, RRS uses the Allen Key to lock their plates and L brackets in place so they maintain a sure and tight fit.

I haven't used the Auto ISO. I set it myself usually at 200 since I am shooting booth large JPEG and RAW files together. To adjust in between shutter speeds, set the shutter speed dial. Then use the left and right arrows around the menu OK button on the back of the camera. I think that this allows for 1/3 stop adjustments. I don't believe that the camera returns after each shot to what the shutter wheel indicates. I will have to use the camera more to confirm this. But. I believe/suspect that when you turn the camera off it will reset the shutter speed on the dial.

Rich

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.4 #14 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

I can report that Capture One Pro 7.0.2 processes the X-Trans sensor's output superbly AND (in my view), improves on skin tones at default settings compared to the SOOC jpegs, which are already superb.

And AccuRaw (presently in beta) also produces extremely detailed results. Some have shown images that definitely have even finer detail than C1Pro7 does on the same image, but (again, just my view) the differences are not sufficient to forgo all the bells ad whistles of C1Pro.

And the PT4Pano bracket and indexing head (shown on another thread) also works perfectly with the X-E1 and even though I bought it for the DP2 Merrill, I am using it with the X-E1.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:28 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #15 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I can report that Capture One Pro 7.0.2 processes the X-Trans sensor's output superbly AND (in my view), improves on skin tones at default settings compared to the SOOC jpegs, which are already superb.

And AccuRaw (presently in beta) also produces extremely detailed results. Some have shown images that definitely have even finer detail than C1Pro7 does on the same image, but (again, just my view) the differences are not sufficient to forgo all the bells ad whistles of C1Pro.

And the PT4Pano bracket and indexing head (shown on another thread) also works perfectly with the X-E1 and even though I
...Show more

My question at this point is how Capture One Pro 7.0.2 compares to the performance of SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro5 for processing the X-Trans RAW files. Anyone made a good comparison of what may be the best 2 processing programs for a Windows based system?

Rich

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:53 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #16 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

As a quick update, my RRS grip arrived in the mail this morning and I mounted it onto the RRS L bracket for the Fuji X-E1. Initial testing shows that the camera handles much better than when "naked".

I will handle the camera with the grip/bracket a little and then get some photos taken of the grip/L bracket, Novoflex R to Fui X adapter, Novoflex rotating collar, soft release, Canon electronic remote release, an assortment of some of my Leica R glass, and the camera shortly.

Once I have the photos I will post something, but it could take a couple of days.

Rich

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:10 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.4 #17 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

I'm curious about the Novoflex rotating collar, and the Canon electronic remote release.
Not certain what the collar does, and I'm guessing you used different cable on the remote release?

naturephoto1 wrote:
As a quick update, my RRS grip arrived in the mail this morning and I mounted it onto the RRS L bracket for the Fuji X-E1. Initial testing shows that the camera handles much better than when "naked".

I will handle the camera with the grip/bracket a little and then get some photos taken of the grip/L bracket, Novoflex R to Fui X adapter, Novoflex rotating collar, soft release, Canon electronic remote release, an assortment of some of my Leica R glass, and the camera shortly.

Once I have the photos I will post something, but it could take a couple of
...Show more

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:05 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #18 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

buggz2k wrote:
I'm curious about the Novoflex rotating collar, and the Canon electronic remote release.
Not certain what the collar does, and I'm guessing you used different cable on the remote release?

The Novoflex rotating collar:ASTAT-MFT

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/886523-REG/Novoflex_ASTAT_MFT_Tripod_Mount_For_MFT.html

is used with the Novoflex adapters to the Fuji X cameras and the M 4/3 camera adapters, like this one for the Leica R lenses:

FUX/LER

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888372-REG/Novoflex_FUX_LER_Adapter_for_Leica_R.html

It allows heavier lenses including medium telephotos, large macro lenses, zoom lenses that lack a built in collar to be rebalanced and to lock onto an Arca Swiss Type QR clamp- but not the RRS clamps. The plate is too narrow for the RRS clamps, but fits fine on my screw type clamps from Kirk Enterprises, ProMediaGear, Markins, I believe my older Wimberley, and older screw type RRS clamps to lock properly.

The rotating collar allows the camera and lens to rotate through 360 degrees to position the camera and lens in any needed orientation as in horizontal or vertical.

As to the Canon remote, it is one that I already had for my point and shoot G cameras. My Panasonic Lumix electronic remote would not fire the camera, but the Canon would. I would presume that most will especially after the last firmware update.

Rich

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:21 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.4 #19 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Thanks for the info.
I'd like to get a Trans-X Fuji body.
Maybe tax refund?
Though, I'm wanting yet more glass, also...

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:21 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.4 #20 · Fuji X-E1 tips and tricks

Ok, I have some photos of the RRS and Novoflex gear along with some of Leica R lenses. Unfortunately, my Lumix G1 that I was using to take these photos fell from the QR (apparently not totally locked in and is damaged). The camera and lens need to go to Panasonic for repair. But, that is my problem to deal with, first camera to fall like this or to be dropped in 15? or more years.

The first photo shows my X-E1 along with the RRS L bracket and grip, the Novoflex R to Fuji Adapter, mentioned above, Novoflex Rotating Collar mentioned above, Canon Electronic Remote Release, Soft release (quite small to the right in front, and 5 of my Leica R lenses.

The second photo shows the X-E1 loaded onto the RRS L bracket and grip.

The third photo shows the 2 Novoflex parts- the Leica R adapter, and the Novoflex rotating collar.

The fourth photo shows the X-E1 with the RRS L bracket and grip mounted onto my tripod; the lens is my Leica R 24mm f2.8 mounted onto the Novoflex R adapter.

Rich

Edited on Feb 14, 2013 at 09:30 PM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2013 at 09:25 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password