Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · which longer macro lenses for D800?

rkgatteleport
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · which longer macro lenses for D800?

Andre,

Thanks for the observation! are you getting these results with a D800/E?

You might be right about the fixturing, though its pretty rigid/well damped (or so I thought since I get tack sharp images on the same rig with a 5DII/tamron180mm - the
mirror lockup makes no visible difference to that combo under studio flash)

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Jan 14, 2013 at 06:38 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · which longer macro lenses for D800?

No, my results are with a D300. I'm traveling and don't have my gear or images with me.

Jan 14, 2013 at 01:42 PM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.2 #3 · which longer macro lenses for D800?

In case anybody's still following this, I got ahold of a Sigma 150mm non-os - MUCH better - here's some 100% crops from a test at f/8 and f/5.6 (I included 100% crop from a 5DMKII with the tamron 180 positioned to roughly the same field of view just for comparison) - note that none of these have had any sharpening done to them outside of whatever ACR does by default.

I happened to be shooting this piece for a client when the 150 came in and thought it might make a good test subject as its really contrasty.

As an aside, decent copies of this lens seem to be getting real hard to find - it took a while to find one.

Best,

rkg
(Richard George)

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.2 #4 · which longer macro lenses for D800?

I have a Sigma 150 non-OS. My subjective impression is it's the sharpest lens I have. But the only complaint I have about the optics of any of my macro lenses is the tendency of the Sigma 50mm to flare at close range when I use flash.

As I use my lenses handling is more important than the last few lines per millimeter. I replaced a worn out Tamron 90 with the optically inferior but tougher Nikkor 105 AF-S. My Tamron 180 is tough (internal focus) but the Sigma 150 has full time focus override and faster focus, and that's normally worth more than 20% more focal length.

Jan 27, 2013 at 02:37 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password