Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HS Wrestling

chrisbergmann
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · HS Wrestling

First time shooting high school wrestling. Overall I think the shots came out ok considering how dark the gym was, but I see areas where I would like to improve on for next time. I only have 2 canon speed lights so there were some dark shadows depending on where they ended up on the mat. I was expecting more action out of both teams. I was thinking there would take downs but it was still fun to shoot. While shooting I watch for eyes, backgrounds, action etc and did my best to position myself to get good shots, not sure if I hit the mark though. Looking for C&C, thanks for looking!

chrisbergmann 2012

chrisbergmann 2012

chrisbergmann 2012

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:02 PM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #2 · HS Wrestling

Couple more..

chrisbergmann 2012

chrisbergmann 2012

chrisbergmann 2012

chrisbergmann 2012

Dec 13, 2012 at 08:04 PM
mdalby
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · HS Wrestling

I like these, a lot. Good job. I haven't shot wrestling for a long time and the last time I shot I was just a novice and I did it with just ambient and I did poorly.

I need to get out there and give this another try.

Thanks for sharing.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:14 PM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #4 · HS Wrestling

Thanks for looking. Ambient light was almost non existent in this gym so speed lights were a necessity. Most of these were shot at f/4, 1/200 @ 800 ISO. Next time I think I will use 3 speed lights in a triangle formation around the mats to add some back lighting.

Edited on Dec 14, 2012 at 02:03 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:49 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #5 · HS Wrestling

I would have cropped just a tad looser on a few, but that may be a personal taste. These are crisp and given the conditions you mentioned awesome job. I have never shot this type of sport, but would use your approach if I had as bad a ambient as you mentioned. Thanks for sharing how you did it!

That last shot is awesome.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · HS Wrestling

chrisbergmann wrote:
Thanks for looking. Ambient light was almost non existent in this gym so speed lights were a necessity. Most of these were shot at f/4, 1/200 @ 800 ISO. Next time I think I will use 3 speed lights in a triangle formation around the mats to add some back lighting.

I highly recommend 3 or better yet four lights for wrestling. The only problem I've run across (with that setup) is if the lights are too low and you're shooting into them.

Two examples of four light setups:

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:22 PM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #7 · HS Wrestling

I definitely like the idea of a 3 or 4 light setup for wrestling. My thought was by adding a third speedlite positioned on the opposite side of the mat from my shooting position I could use it to bounce off the ceiling for fill. But ultimately it makes more sense using 4 lights with a zone controller. Maybe I'll get lucky and Santa will bring me 2 more speedlites for the holidays

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:01 PM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.1 #8 · HS Wrestling

Took this with my cell phone. The schools athletic director turned off most of the gym lights when the match started. Not sure if this is the norm for wrestling meets.
Thanks for looking!

Ambient Light

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:05 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password