Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

Hi guys

a family member asked me to get him a battery grip for his D7000. He needs the most bang for his money, so here's what I can do. His busget runs about 140

An OEM nikon for 140

A Hahnel with IR receiver for 80

A Neewer for 40

To those who have used the Hahnel or Neewer, how do you feel it compares with the OEM? Is it just flimsy plastic?

His budget will allow for the Nikon but nothing else. With the spare change from the knock offs I could get him an extra battery and an SD card, which I know he needs...

Sorry I did use the search but it either stinks or I don't know how to use it properly, but it didn't work..

Thanks

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

Personally, my advice is dont get one...mine makes my d7000 do crazy things when the battery gets low...mirror locks up, wont record an image taken, or the camera will just die without switching to the internal battery...and on my d300, even without a battery in the grip, it causes some strange voodoo...it'll make the CF light stay on, and completely drain the battery in about 10 minutes...

Plus, every time i tighten the screw to hold 3rd party grips on, i feel like they're gonna break and be permanently stuck to the camera....

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

NathanHamler wrote:
Personally, my advice is dont get one...mine makes my d7000 do crazy things when the battery gets low...mirror locks up, wont record an image taken, or the camera will just die without switching to the internal battery...and on my d300, even without a battery in the grip, it causes some strange voodoo...it'll make the CF light stay on, and completely drain the battery in about 10 minutes...

Plus, every time i tighten the screw to hold 3rd party grips on, i feel like they're gonna break and be permanently stuck to the camera....

Thanks.. I do think it is a bit of a gamble, and just wanted to hear if non OEM users had any problems...

If it were up to me I'd get him the OEM, that's what I'd get for me, but his budget is tight and he would have liked an extra sd and battery...

I'll give it some thought

thanks Nathan

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

I guess if you're not a serious shooter getting paid, it's not as big of an issue...although i have heard of aftermarket d700 grips causing permanent damage...

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

I've put >100K clicks on D7K's with a $50 Flashpoint from Adorama, with nary a hiccup.
I'm a VERY serious shooter AND get paid

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

trenchmonkey wrote:
I've put >100K clicks on D7K's with a $50 Flashpoint from Adorama, with nary a hiccup.
I'm a VERY serious shooter AND get paid

Lol i dont think anyone would argue that one! BUT, you do also have backup bodies, as do i.....ones without aftermarket grips, that are there incase of failure....I guess i'm just trying to cover my ass....I've made money with my 3rd party gripped D7k as well.....BUT, i'm getting to the point now where i'm not sure it's worth it to risk my MAIN camera (my d300's pull 2nd and backup duties) just to save money on a battery grip...that being said, i have yet to order a Nikon one, and the 3rd party grip is still on my D7k as we speak....so i still have SOME faith in it....fwiw, all my grips are Zeikos brand....one D7k and one D300 grip...

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:47 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · non OEM D7000 battery grip advice

Yea thanks guys for the advice. Just got a message from my cousin asking me to get him a wired remote release. I'll get the Hahnel and hope for the best to keep things on budget!

Thanks!!

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password