Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

I've been invited on a private permit on the Tatshenshini River in the Yukon through BC and taking out on the Alsek River at Dry Bay, Ak in July. The plan is be on river 16 days in all. I'm just in the early stages of thinking about photo gear. I did a 16 day Grand Canyon trip in 2009 so I'm familiar with long raft adventures but I'd love to hear from anyone that has done a trip up there and what they brought and how it all worked out.

Though I wish I could bring a 1D body, most likely it will be a 5D3 and possibly a 7D for the reach. I thought about picking up a 1Ds3 used but haven't decided. I have lenses that cover from 16-300mm and I'd probably pick up a 100-400L for the extra length. Last time on the Grand, I rowed all 16 days, which really cut into my photo time. This trip I won't be the primary boatman and will fill in as needed. I hope to have much more time for photos.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:41 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

Sounds like a great adventure. I've never done anything like it, so can't help. However, Yukon has some beautiful country and you should get some great shots. Look forward to seeing some of them. Best of luck.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:45 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

7D does not give any more 'reach'. If you just shoot with the 5D, you can later crop the images to be like the smaller sensored 7d. If you want to bring the 7d for backup, well that makes sense.

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:15 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

Jeffrey wrote:
7D does not give any more 'reach'. If you just shoot with the 5D, you can later crop the images to be like the smaller sensored 7d. If you want to bring the 7d for backup, well that makes sense.

An equivalent cropped 5d2 does not come close to the number of pixels you would get with the 7d. If you are reach limited, you are better reaching for the 7d.

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

chez wrote:
An equivalent cropped 5d2 does not come close to the number of pixels you would get with the 7d. If you are reach limited, you are better reaching for the 7d.

That's my thought. I won't be able to carry a huge super tele lens so the 100-400 will probably be my max. With the 7D, I'll be able to put more pixels on that bear in the distance than with the 5D3.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Jim McCann
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

I've never rafted the "Tat" but I've rafted many rivers just like it. You will likely experience sweeping vistas, wildlife (lots of eagles), and tons of other interesting stuff like macro subjects to photograph. At the end of your float there is plenty of floating glacier ice. You must be prepared for lots of rain. Did I mention how it will rain a lot?

If I were going on that trip I'd have along my 5DIII and at least one of my 7Ds along with the 100-400, probably the 70-200 F2.8 II, a 16-35 f2.8II, and maybe my 100 macro.

Have a grand trip!

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:48 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone Raft the Tatshenshini River?

Jim McCann wrote:
I've never rafted the "Tat" but I've rafted many rivers just like it. You will likely experience sweeping vistas, wildlife (lots of eagles), and tons of other interesting stuff like macro subjects to photograph. At the end of your float there is plenty of floating glacier ice. You must be prepared for lots of rain. Did I mention how it will rain a lot?

If I were going on that trip I'd have along my 5DIII and at least one of my 7Ds along with the 100-400, probably the 70-200 F2.8 II, a 16-35 f2.8II, and maybe my 100
...Show more
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it. I've been to Alaska before but never spent time out in the bush. Good thought on the macro lens. I hadn't given it consideration until you mentioned it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password