Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Bliz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Thank you sir, very useful indeed.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:35 AM
fishjump
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

22 years with Gitzo, now RRS for the last 3 years, and no looking back.

Talk to RRS and let them tell you which tripod, their customer service is excellent!

Dec 31, 2012 at 03:30 AM
Bliz
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

sjms wrote:
Yes he is. And I'm talking a substantial quality difference too. Actually I wouldn't go the the TVC33 or series 3 as a real hiker model either. But pushing a 500 the RRS is the better. I was showing the difference in price is relatively small for the much better product.

So which would you go with as a real hiker? Im talking about 6-15 miles a day, Alaska alpine type country, tripod rides on the pack not over the shoulder. Im leaning towards the TVC 33. Your comment has me curious, not sure how I missed that one when you posted.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

godfather
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

The question your asking is a difficult one to answer. With a 500 I would never suggest a tripod that did not reach eye level. Also (IMO) a tripod that has an adjustable center column adds weakness and weight...both of which are not advantageous for your uses.

How tall are you? If your around 5' there are a lot of good options. I'm around 5'8" and If I was looking to buy a tripod for your uses it would be a used gitzo 3540LS / 3541LS or a new RRS TVC33. I own a 3540LS and I'm not interested in spending another $400 or carrying another .5 lbs to upgrade.

My advice...start looking for a used "like new" 3540LS / 3541LS for around $475-$525. It might take a few months to find the right one but it sounds like you have time before you purchase the 500. If purchasing new I would spend the extra $200 for the tvc33 as I do feel its a better pod vs the 3542LS.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Bliz
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Thanks, im 5'11 and get by ok without the center column on the GT2531, I hardly consider the column an option in fact I removed it first thing out of the box. I am comfortable working off a smaller tripod, for mountain shooting it seems to work. That 57-60 range should be workable.

I appreciate the feedback. Im looking forward to getting one of these combos on some critters.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:19 PM
Bliz
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

I wanted to follow up on this. I have my 500 now and found a lightly used GT3530LS which has my Q10 on top, this is perfect for my needs. Many thanks to those who contributed to the thread.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:05 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password