New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Bliz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

I could use a little help from backpacking 500 users. I do a lot of walking and currently I really benefit from the weight of my current gear which is 7D/100-400/17-55 with a GT2531-Q10. I get around pretty good with this. The plan is to step up to 500 before too long so im fishing for some ideas. Thoughts??

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Bliz
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Will a Q10 hold that beast??

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:29 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

I have a 500 f4 and I also have the GT3531 legs which are adequate for the 500. My primary legs for the 500 are GT5541. If you replace the plate/platform of the GT3531 or GT3541 with a Markins TH-300 Hub you should have a strong/compact tripod for hiking.

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

RoyC wrote:
I have a 500 f4 and I also have the GT3531 legs which are adequate for the 500. My primary legs for the 500 are GT5541. If you replace the plate/platform of the GT3531 or GT3541 with a Markins TH-300 Hub you should have a strong/compact tripod for hiking.

so what you are suggesting is the purchase of a GT3531 and a Markins TH300
that's $639 (after rebate) and $179 together making $818. now a TVC33 a vastly superior tripod goes for $925. that's roughly only a 11% difference that doesn't void any existing warranties getting a tripod that is so much more versatile. I don't know if that's a real good option.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:18 AM
Bliz
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Thanks for the suggestions so far, those of you who have been down this road please keep them coming if you have thoughts. Im comparing now. Weight/functionality trumps price, I have to carry it everyday.

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:37 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

sjms wrote:
that's $639 (after rebate) and $179 together making $818. now a TVC33 a vastly superior tripod goes for $925. that's roughly only a 11% difference that doesn't void any existing warranties getting a tripod that is so much more versatile. I don't know if that's a real good option.

The OP is asking about a tripod for hiking not what would be the leased expensive.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Yes he is. And I'm talking a substantial quality difference too. Actually I wouldn't go the the TVC33 or series 3 as a real hiker model either. But pushing a 500 the RRS is the better. I was showing the difference in price is relatively small for the much better product.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

sjms wrote:

Vastly? Oh please. I finally used the RRS and it is better in some ways than my old 3530LS, but not vastly. The leg locks of the Gitzo are easier for me, but perhaps the RRS was stiff from being relatively new. It seemed extra heavy though, so I'm keeping the Gitzo for now. I do really like the RRS 2 series however as it is very solid for the size. I will buy one of those next year. If you don't already have a tripod, the RRS models are the fashionable ones right now and should last for many years.

EBH

Dec 11, 2012 at 08:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

yes vastly. my opinion and i'll stand by it. Gitzo keeps pushing a product design and manufacturing method that begs serious revision and they refuse to admit it.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

sjms wrote:
yes vastly. my opinion and i'll stand by it. Gitzo keeps pushing a product design and manufacturing method that begs serious revision and they refuse to admit it.

So that's why RRS recommended Gitzo tripods for many years

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

you've probably heard a few of these terms be before or some variation of them:

-that was then and this is now

-we learn from other peoples mistakes

-we can make it better and do

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:02 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

sjms wrote:

So you known that same used car salesman.

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:58 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

sjms wrote:

A lot of other brands learn from the mistakes of RRS

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1103460

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Is that all you can come up with? They like everyone are far from perfect. But they put a lot more effort into it.
I also read quite a bit of the entire thread. It seems some didn't Care for some aspects of the learning competition too. You know that you can never make everyone happy.

It is a tough life being the fox.

And you use the term a lot of other brands? Where are the others?

For the most part others learn how to make it right before coming out with a competing version. Just watch Kirk.

Weak!

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Bliz
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Nice pissing match fellas

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Bliz
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

RoyC, thanks for the response. That is the sort of info I am looking for. I appreciate the other "helpful"posts too but can we leave the -which brand is better- out of it please. If you have a lightweight combo and you have put it on a scale I would love to hear from you still, thank you.

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:34 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

I really like my gt-3540ls legs. I personally feel that the extra .8 lbs over the 2531 provides a lot more stability. However, they are not as compact when folded (diameter). I have used a m10 / 500 combo and find it works very well.

Are you looking for a ball head setup or gimbal?

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:03 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Bliz wrote:
RoyC, thanks for the response. That is the sort of info I am looking for. I appreciate the other "helpful"posts too but can we leave the -which brand is better- out of it please. If you have a lightweight combo and you have put it on a scale I would love to hear from you still, thank you.

I think you're going to have to go a wee bit heavier than the 3lbs your Gitzo 2531 weighs. The Gitzo 2-series are now systematics and the 3 leg section version weighs 3.8lbs. The new systematics are heavier than the previous generation and Gitzo is recommending a 4 or 5-series for a 500mm, but I use a 3541LS and an A-S Z1 head and it handled a 600mm pretty well. My older 3541LS also weighs 3.8lbs but the new 3542LS weighs 4.3lbs which is too much. The systematics have a big diameter at the top as well which makes them awkward for hiking.

You might want to look at the RRS 2-series although it may not be sufficient for a 500mm. Their 2-series can compete with the Gitzo 3-series and they have a three leg section version, the TVC-23 that folds to 23.6" and has a max height of approx. 63" with an optional center column, the same as your 2531. You'd need to ask RRS about a 500mm on it though.

Then there's the Feisol CT-3372 which has a max height of 58" without center column and again weighs about 3.8lbs. With a 500mm, are you going to want to use a center column? Could be dodgy. No easy answer I'm afraid.

Yes the sniping and constant snide remarks can get a bit much, thanks for asking for moderation.

Dec 12, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Bliz
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

Thanks, ballhead for sure. I figured the 2531 was a little light but I like that the M10 will hold it, I will probably swap the ballhead over, in that case I just need to find a suitable base. I'll look into the suggested options, much appreciated,

Dec 12, 2012 at 09:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lightest tripod rig for 500 F4

I look at tools from a purely technical and then investment aspect.

the Feisol 3372 uses machined alloy components which tend to be more robust in use in a greater variety of conditions. being that it is a design similar to the RRS/Gitzo, that being modular in nature in its platform options allows you to use it and them in many ways.

this also carries through with the other mentioned brands but each then has their particular design strengths and weaknesses.

you need to look into the real technical aspects of each brand and model. some seem subtle but turn out to be rather well thought out and add to the usability.

now I use a 300/2.8 with 1.4x and 1.7x extenders yielding roughly a 420 f4 and 500 f4.8 in the use. granted it is not quite a 500 f4 but for my uses it works well. I originally used a Feisol CT3371 with a RRS BH55 and a Wimberley Sidekick. I then went to a TVC33 and use the same head setup to this day. I use(d) both tripods with a leveling platform pretty much from day one. the Feisol is a "cousin" in design to the RRS but not quite as robust overall. it will do the job though.

some accessories from Gitzo are completely usable on a RRS but not on a Feisol such as the spiked feet. (which I have installed on my GT2540EX, TVC33 and TQC14)

each company has their own platform design and they are not interchangeable. the one deviation from this is the RRS leveling platform will fit the previous generation Gitzo systematic 3 series tripod (RRS designed it this way) not the new one though. Gitzo made changes to its design so it would not be usable.

platforms:
each offers their own interchangeable platform. as I said above the RRS and Feisol were similar but not.
the Feisol has a drop in platform that sets into a fully solid circle spider. the platform is secured into place by 3 Allen type screws from 3 points 120 deg apart. It holds very well.

RRS on the TVC33 does the same thing (solid spider ring) but with an additional added security item. there is in the spider slot assy a floating metallic ring that when the screws set 120 deg apart are individually tightened the ring is deformed to slot into both the platform and spider grooves in its deformation. so when any 1 screw is set and locked the platform is secure when all 3 are set (you get a trilobal shape deformation) your not getting it off w/o unscrewing all 3. it is very secure, solid and essentially reqs no user intervention other then tightening the 3 Allen bolts

Gitzo has used a split spider w/flange assy since its inception. it has a open slot so it can spread and accept the flange of the platform into it. at the split is a crossover bolt/ and recently added ratchet setup which snugs and closes the gap around the flange thus securing the platform. they have recently added a security piece to help prevent the platform from coming out should the crossover bolt loosen and allow the platform to move.

centerposts:
The center posts on each are again both similar but different.
Feisol system is again similar to RRS but they use a CF center post. Prices out at approx $60 and just short of 1lb total travel approx 17"

RRS supplies the drop in Locking CP assy and the CP. The original platform and hook from the tripod are used to finish the Assy. CP is aluminum. Cost $110 and adds approx 13oz to the tripod total travel length is 12.5 ". They do not feel that the the real world difference in total weight warranted the higher cost.

The Gitzo version for the newer 3 Series is a CF tube CP that weighs in at about 18oz and prices out at $239

Height measurement:
When measuring the base height of a tripod make sure to take into account the height with and without a CP. tripods with CP's add generally a minimum of 2.5"to the base height.
Take into account the height of your ball head too.

Just some hard data to work with. No ankle biting and all traceable.

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o2/89/44489/1/120334885.kjWHdnAy._DS32033.jpg

Edited on Dec 14, 2012 at 02:08 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2012 at 09:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.