Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

ivssatish

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

I own a Nikon D7000, 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 and 70-200mm f/4 (the one that just came out). I am looking at my gear and wondering if I have everything I need to cover for my daughter's first ever singing stage event and future events. Assuming flash is not allowed and considering 70-200mm f/4 is not wide enough for low light, due to lack of range on my primes (not sure how big is the place and how much there will be to move back and forth), I am afraid I will not be able to capture the moments with good quality pics.

I have given Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 a serious thought but I just don't have deep enough pockets at this moment. Considering my situation and needs (now and future), can someone recommend the best lens(es) for my needs? I am even open to third-party lenses as long as there is not much compromise in IQ in low light.

Please help.

Thanks
Satish

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:19 PM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

F4 will be way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way to slow for a kids recital. You're gonna have to push the D7000 into the ISO1600 territory at a minimum and you'll be at 2.8 all day. Most of the time flashes aren't allowed during the actual show, only during rehearsals. I would say look for a used 80-200 AF-D two ring.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:24 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Welcome to FM Satish.
I would suggest the AFS 85/1.8G if the 50 is too short (which I expect it will be). Or, if you dont mind manual focussing, the AI/AIS 105/2.5 wide open will do the job too.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:37 PM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

85 wont be close to enough reach at a kids recital. He'll be using every bit of the 200 end of a 70-200 or 80-200.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:53 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

You may wish to look at the Nikkor 17-55/2.8 as well (you're on a D7000.) This would certainly help. The other alternatives are from both Tamron, and sigma in the 17-50/2.8 range.

Don't be afraid to expose @ ISO1600, 3200 and sometime 6400 if need be. If you expose them well, you can capture some great memories!

Good luck

Edit: After reading some of what others have posted, I guess the lenses I mentioned above would really only be a good choice if you're close to the stage....

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:55 PM
ivssatish

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Thanks for all the replies!

@MackDaddy, I will look at 17-50/2.8 from Tamron/Sigma. I notice a lot of noise (when zoomed 100% in LR) starting at ISO 1600, though I take care of it using NR in LR but I feel that it becomes a bit soft.

I am also looking at Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Has anyone used it or have any opinion about it? If this works, I will plan to get the Tokina 11-16 mm 2.8 to cover me on the wide angle (though I am not sure between this and Tokina 12-24mm f/4).

Thanks
Satish

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

I shoot kids stage all the time. It really depends on the lighting and your access. I get to do dress rehearsals which gives pretty much unlimited access. Please don't shoot a DLSR during an actual performance, the sound from the camera is a hugh distraction and will be really annoying to the other parents around you. Also, never use a flash at a live performance, one, you'll destroy the look that the lighting director has given the show and two you'll blind the performers.

I shoot a D300 at iso 1600 with a 70-200 2.8 and can usually get 1/100 or 1/80. That works pretty well unless the kids are dancing, then all you'll get is motion blur. You're 70-200 f4 at iso 3200 will give the exact same results as mine as the D7000 is easily capable of iso 3200.

Oh, one other tip, spot meter on the kid's face and let the rest go where it will. I can't stand wide stage shots with the faces all blown out.

Have fun and remember this thread is useless without pictures.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:16 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Well said Neddy, especially spot metering on the subject faces... good call.

No problem at all Satish. Others will give great advice, as I'm not well versed in this venue. But, I do think you'll NOT need either Tokina 11-16, or 12-24. From most vantage points I'd venture to say the 24mm (36mm in DX 1.5x crop mode) would serve you well on the wide side.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:00 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

The lens I like for indoor school/church events is the 135/2.0, it gives you some reach and speed. If I'm sitting in the audience, I use a monopod.

For wide shots, I use the 35/1.4G.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:02 PM
ivssatish

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

@Danner, 135/2.0 is not in my budget, but thank you for your recommendation

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:51 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Used Nikon 180mm 2.8 AF-D

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:57 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

thursdaylsr wrote:
Used Nikon 180mm 2.8 AF-D

+1 on this recommendation if you need long reach, it will definitely be suitable from an IQ point of view. For "normal" FL's the Tamron 28-75 for zoom, I think you already have the appropriate primes. Midrange FL's on a budget is tough, you can get some inexpensive f2.8 manual focus lenses. For AF lenses, other than 85 f1.8's, you're into some bigger dollars I think.

If you are not adverse to manual focusing, some third party primes may have wider apertures, though I don't know how much research you'll be able to do on the IQ.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:17 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

If it's REALLY important to you to get great shots of the performance...
rent a 200 f2 and stand in the back with a monopod. The D7K is fine
thru ISO5000, so this will allow you to pretty much shoot in the dark.

(most of my concert stuff was with the D3 and the 200...so this will have to suffice)

© riversbendphotography

SOOC...that's dust (right side of frame) not noise

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:50 PM
nick53097
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

You can use your new 70-200 wide open at f/4
Try manual mode, shutter between 1/250-1/500 and ISO on Auto, limit at 4000 or 5000
May need to adjust exposure to -0.3 or lower (to have faces properly exposed)
Monopod will help ( turn your VR off)

Dec 11, 2012 at 09:55 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Couple points.
1. Be careful using 3rd party lenses. Many are rather slow at acquiring focus, which can be a real big problem shooting in a dark auditorium.
2. Seagoon makes a great point about shooting dress rehearsal. You can get up close to the action. Does the D7K have a quiet mode? If so, use the actual performance to add context with wide shots and audience reactions.

Have fun and be aggressive--next to photo skills, aggression is a photographer's best trait (IMO).

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Defy
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Singing stage event might be too quite for a DSLR. I would shoot from the back.

I can't help much I have shot singing/dancing comps where it was loud and we were contracted for the concert. I had 2 shooters in the pit and one in the rafters for diffrent angles. We used D700/D3's and 70-200mm. Primes are nice but they limited the shots for us. When we shot primes we had to plan and say I got the 3/4's and you get the couple shots.... etc.

For your first one use the f/4 and crank the ISO you'll get nice shots and be just fine. Or rent/borrow a VRII.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:27 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

I shoot a lot of pro stage work, and my favorite lens for that on my d7000 is the Tokina 50-135 2.8... at a fraction of the weight and cost of the 70-200 but with the same shutter speed. Theres one on the buy sell forum now for $500.

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:51 PM
ivssatish

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

Thanks for all the invaluable suggestions! I am a newbie to this forum and am overwhelmed by the great tips, tricks and guidance from experts here. Loving it!

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM
ivssatish

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

I am going to give it a try with my 70-200 f4 and see how it works. I will post a few pics soon.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM
james.d53
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Recommended Lenses for low light photography (Daughter's Stage Shows)

You might rent a couple before you buy. The 135 f/2 is perfect for this. I know you said it wasn't in your budget, but you might get lucky and pick up one on the forum.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.