Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

6GP2008

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

So this is my first time posting...this is still a work in progress, and I'm looking for some font and other ideas for this sports poster...any ideas welcome!

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

no image

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:56 PM
6GP2008

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

Sorry...one sec.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:00 PM
6GP2008

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

Here you go...

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

Great start, and has lots of possibilities- still at a stage where you could spend big chunks of time tweaking things, though. If it were mine, a general plan of attack would be to first work in some more elements, tweak the ones already there and make it all play well together, re-work the logo somehow, and tweak the text situation. After all that, I'd work on the depth aspect- how to give it a 3D feel.

More specific ideas to play with:

- Good images, but if possible I'd try replacing one or two so that the majority of them aren't looking to poster left, and also to find one with eyes for the second player.

- Consistency always helps to bring things together- do a little more retouching on the players so the color and exposure are more or less the same. For instance, bring up the whites on the first and fourth player. Also, player names are looking slightly different from each other in regards to texture and brightness.

- Arrange the names as symmetrically as possible, since the poster is symmetrical.

- Some simple ideas for depth: either darken the background slightly around the players (soft, low-opacity black brushing on blank layer beneath them), or make your existing outer glow more pronounced. Or do both, and change the outer glow to white or red to pop off the dark brushing beneath; add an outer glow to the arched bands where they overlap onto the hex pattern; create a light source somewhere on the poster. Download some custom brushes (or make your own), and add some pizazz to the poster (points of light, streaks, splatters, etc. Or, somehow work a shot of the school's stadium into the background.

- The text at the top could be substantially larger to fill the blue field more, and if possible, use the university's typeface.

- The Bison logo is looking lonely down there. Maybe you could go with 'HOWARD UNIVERSITY' at the top banner, then just under it, 'BISON'. Then take the 'First team...' text and lay it across the bottom blue field. Try switching the hex pattern with the solid blue fields, then place a giant bison logo behind the players.

Hope some of the above helps-- you have the makings here of a pretty sweet poster...

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

I like everything but the fonts on top (and the size of that font), and the empty space in the bottom

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:19 PM
cltmte
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

Looks like a pretty good start to me as well. If you could move or resize the Bison at the bootom you might be able to move the players names into the empty blue area to help fill the void.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:25 PM
6GP2008

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

Tom D wrote:
Great start, and has lots of possibilities- still at a stage where you could spend big chunks of time tweaking things, though. If it were mine, a general plan of attack would be to first work in some more elements, tweak the ones already there and make it all play well together, re-work the logo somehow, and tweak the text situation. After all that, I'd work on the depth aspect- how to give it a 3D feel.

More specific ideas to play with:

- Good images, but if possible I'd try replacing one or two so that the majority of
...Show more

Thanks...this was just the beginning and I was having a brain fart and looking for ideas...everything sounds good so far...I will try and make some changes in my spare time.

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:47 PM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

The effect on the last name "Crawford" is different than the others.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

6GP2008

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

OK, made some changes last night...
@ Tom B....thanks again for the suggestions....here's the update...

- increased the font size for "Howard University"

- changed the font for the player names and moved them to the lower half circle

- used a diferrent image for number #75.

- changed the background from a honeycomb to an image of the players

Now as far as the player images, I am limited to the pics that I took...I will go back and try and touch up the ones that I'm using. As far as #96, this is the best pic that I have of him not in his stance...#75's pic has that sun glare...I will try and use a different one...

As far as the brushes...if you have any links for the points of light brushes, that would be great.

Thanks again for the suggestions...

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:47 PM
quadmama
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

I like this much better, but a few things I'm noticing.

What are the white spots on #75 leg and arm?

Outer glow on players. I would try a dark blue or black and play with the opacity and size. The white against white helmets/pants makes for a blur.

Bison logo and text too close to the edges. Keep in mind what a frame will cover up along the edges.

Dec 12, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

The 'points of light' thing I mention is nothing more than grabbing a small, hard round brush and playing with its settings in the Brush palette. Like, Shape Dynamics, Scattering, etc. Then blasting some strokes of it around and add a small outer glow. Has a starry kind of effect that only looks good in the right place, or ends up looking cheesy. You just have to try it and decide for yourself. PM me with your email and I'll shoot a brush preset at you with some approximate settings that work, and you can load it up and try it. I have a feeling it wouldn't look good on this poster, though...

Here's a crop of a media guide cover I did back in '09, to give you an idea of what it looks like...

Dec 12, 2012 at 06:25 PM
ALEX88MAC

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

overall design is decent but i feel that a few changes will make this a damn good piece. first, i dont like the typeface at all it is very cheesy. there are so many free fonts out there that are clean and professional looking. second, #75 needs more contrast, he doesnt fit in this piece well at all. look at the shade of his pants compared to the others. third, theres weird blurring going around some of the players shoulders and hands (Not sure if you added that or if that was from cutting them out). lastly, don't bevel/emboss the bison logo that also comes off as very cheesy

Dec 13, 2012 at 07:57 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

As mentioned in your other thread, I don't like the bare midriff... looks too much like practice and doesn't fit. Agree with Alex on #75 on the far left. Also doesn't fit. Needs to be cutout better and more contrast punch. Looks like a heavy backlit shot. Might need to find another one of him. The beveled Bison logo doesn't bother me much, but the fonts above does. Doesn't fit the theme. To comic booky if there is such a term.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM
6GP2008

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

Thanks everyone for the honesty...I will probably go back to the drawing board on this one.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:38 PM
ALEX88MAC

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

no i wouldnt scrap this poster just yet. finding a good type face will help a ton. this looks very similar to the one the graphic designer at UC Davis printed out

Dec 14, 2012 at 07:25 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

+1. Personally, I was disappointed to see the hex pattern get the hook.

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:59 PM
cltmte
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Poster feedback and ideas...work in progress...

I liked the hex pattern as well. Lots of good to work with. Not worth scrapping. Just a few touch ups and I think it will be a great poster

Mark

Dec 18, 2012 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password