Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Bridal show promo card

Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bridal show promo card

So, we're doing our first big bridal show in January. I'm wanting to look like I've got my act together for it, so I wanted to pass this promo card by you guys and gals that have done plenty of bridal shows before.

How's the card look? It's going to be a front/back glossy 140# paper, 5" by 7" card.

I've only been lead shooter on about a dozen weddings, but we have been positioning resources and collateral to blow the doors off of 2013.

Our booth is going to consist of a 6 foot table with two large framed/matted prints and a hardback portfolio book of a bunch of 8x10s, a couch, a couple of rented bar tables and stools and a iPad with a slideshow rolling...

We're focused on human networking and not some elaborate stage setup.

Your input is appreciated.

front of card

back of card

Edited on Dec 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:28 PM
joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Bridal show promo card

We have found that one "wow" image has vastly superior impact than a mass of images. I would say pick what you would consider your best signature image, and go with that for the front.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:31 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Bridal show promo card

joelconner wrote:
We have found that one "wow" image has vastly superior impact than a mass of images. I would say pick what you would consider your best signature image, and go with that for the front.

I found that 10 "wow" images did a good job for my booth.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:45 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Bridal show promo card

James, your card looks pretty good but I can't keep thinking that it could be better. I'm not a designer but I think you could go smaller with your name and contact information.

I don't know if it will help, but here are a couple of shots of my setup while I was building it. I ended up making some minor changes to my booth at the actual show.

Heres my brochure I had made.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:53 PM
Bill Quinn
• •
p.1 #5 · Bridal show promo card

I would make your side one your side two and pick one outstanding picture and make it your side one. Also maybe decrease the number of pictures on the now side one. It looks awfully busy and repetitive of some pics.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:04 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Bridal show promo card

The card is Ok, a bit busy for my taste. It will be thrown in a bag full of other handouts and at 5x7 might not stand out as much as you want when the couples get home and look through all the bag of stuff they collected. I might go for a more unique size like 11 x 41/4 or better 15x5 that is different than everything else around.

Bottom line is they need to talk with you at the show. If you are tied up with another person you lost your chance. Have help to always have an open person available for questions. While the show usually provides a list it is hard to contact all of them. Try to create a personal list at the show for those who you want to follow up with. If you never done a show the problem is everyone comes at the same time. A mad rush of people, then a slow time when another fashion show or staged event is happening then another rush.

8x10's in a book? Sorry but that sounds a bit old fashion. How about something creative with nice page layouts unless your style is simple 8x10's. Brides want to see finished albums. The more style variations the better. Texas is big for bridal portraits. Be sure to show some of them. They are required in my part of Texas and I assume the same is true for Houston area. I would have several framed samples.Traditional, standout acrylic, canvas etc. If they don't see it they assume you can't do it.

You need to fix your web site. If you want to do weddings then focus the site on weddings. Your home page will not make a bride click to continue. Turn it into a wedding home page. That would be firt on my list to do before the show.

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #7 · Bridal show promo card

jcolman wrote:
James, your card looks pretty good but I can't keep thinking that it could be better. I'm not a designer but I think you could go smaller with your name and contact information.

I don't know if it will help, but here are a couple of shots of my setup while I was building it. I ended up making some minor changes to my booth at the actual show.

Jim, I like your pole and backing design. I haven't seen that before.

As for the brochure, I really like your tri-fold, that's the style I plan to use next time. I was looking for something a bit more simplistic to test out.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Bridal show promo card

How brutally honest do you like your input?

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:21 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Bridal show promo card

I was thinking the same. Sometimes, less is more.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bridal show promo card

Ok, so my honest thoughts are that it still needs some work. As is, the design looks pretty dated and has a few features that will make printing difficult.

Some things I'd change:
- I'd pick one great image instead of 9 good ones. I'd make it an image that is REALLY different. Every other photographer there will have brides and grooms kissing or smiling at the camera. Show something truly unique. The best option on the sample you showed is the bottom left picture in my opinion.
- Drop the borders from any images/logos. It's a dated look.
- Choose a more modern font that agrees with your logo
- The blue border will be hard to print centered based on it's thickness. I'd drop that.
- Make the text smaller (especially the back page)
- Change the back images so they align and look consistent.

If you're looking for inspiration, here's some good links. Notice the simplicity and bold crop/font choices:
http://inspiredology.com/20-exquisite-brochure-designs-for-inspiration/
http://thedesigninspiration.com/articles/30-best-brochure-designs-for-your-inspiration/

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abadass
• •
p.1 #11 · Bridal show promo card

from a designer's perspective...

(front)
your typography is weak. I would suggest a san serif or a better serif typeface and its looks kind of big. However, i do like the modular, grid like style. But I would go with one outstanding image and logo + website/email instead.

(back)
ER-MAH-GERD. typography needs help. the leading (spaces inbetween lines) a tad bit tight, font looks weird. San serif or a nicer serif would be better.

I think you could go with the grid like style that you have on the front but on the back. I'm not a fan of testimonials, maybe you could include one. put contact info, website, email, what services you do.

Keep it simple, use strong photos and typography. I think your best bet is to make your conversation with every single bride memorable.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #12 · Bridal show promo card

Well, next time I'm just going to outsource this ish. I'm not a designer, and I guess it shows.

Maybe someday I'll produce something that doesn't get torn to shreds here.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:48 AM
abadass
• •
p.1 #13 · Bridal show promo card

dont worry about it too hard James. Sometimes going that extra mile will pay off.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:45 AM
spink
• • •
p.1 #14 · Bridal show promo card

James, I have to agree with others. Sometimes less is more.

Sidetrack -

Jim, I love your booth... I want to do something similar. What's your setup time like? My booth is huge and a pain. I'm looking to simplify. Here's our current setup (crappy cell phone pic!)

Spencer

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:00 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Bridal show promo card

Thanks Spencer,

It takes me about an hour or so to set up. The best part is that it all fits inside my hatchback. I have a small table and chairs that I put inside, and a larger table out front to hold my albums and stuff, but I have to use my wife's SUV to haul those items.

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:30 AM
spink
• • •
p.1 #16 · Bridal show promo card

Thanks Jim!

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:09 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.1 #17 · Bridal show promo card

Colman
Who designed your brochures? I need to have some made for Jan 2013.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:02 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Bridal show promo card

a2rob wrote:
Colman
Who designed your brochures? I need to have some made for Jan 2013.

I worked with a local print shop. They took some of my ideas and reworked the layout.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:58 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Bridal show promo card

Google it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #20 · Bridal show promo card

The takeaway, here, is that James likes Jim's pole.

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password