Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

RoadconePhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I've started fooling around with my 85 f/1.4D a bit more and realize that its a bit long for what i use it for. a 50 f/1.2 would be great for me but autofocus is kind of a must considering i shoot all hand held and f/1.2 is going to have a pretty shallow dof.

Is there an alternative to the 50 f/1.4G other than the Sigma 50 f/1.4?

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:56 PM
philipj
• • •
p.1 #2 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I also shoot all handheld and love my NIKKOR 50mm f/1.2 AI-s. I tend to leave it wide open, and my keeper rate with moving objects is getting pretty good. I'm not saying it's easy, it takes practice, but it's certainly not impossible, and once you get used to it I think it's much more flexible than relying on AF.

From a few weeks ago shooting cyclists in downtown Toronto:

Cycling down Yonge by philipjohnson, on Flickr

I took a picture, it'll last longer by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Cycling up Bay St by philipjohnson, on Flickr

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:36 PM
equestrianguy
• •
Account locked
p.1 #3 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

Yeah the 50 1.2 Ais is the king when it comes to Nikon. The Sigma is a good choice as it's better than the 1.4g.

You may also want to consider that bargain 50mm 1.8 as it's damn sharp with good focus.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:00 PM
RoadconePhoto
• •
p.1 #4 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I've got a 50 f/1.8 but It just doesnt go far enough with the shallow dof. also the coma it has absolutely irritates me.

I know its simple but heres more along the lines of what I want... i know its with a canon 50 f/1.2 at f/1.2 and I'm almost considering switching camps to get this.

Heres a shot with my 85 f/1.4 but its just a bit too long to use as a walk around lens...

Those were at ISO2500 1/100 f1/.4

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:05 PM
philipj
• • •
p.1 #5 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

Not clear why you would need AF for that kind of photography. Whether the NIKKOR's coma wide open would annoy you or not is another story.

Dec 10, 2012 at 04:45 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #6 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I don't see anything about those 50L shots that would make me give up my Sigma.

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:47 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

If you can wait, this may or may not come out, It also may or may not be AF. Either way, it would be a killer lens.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/11/22/new-nikon-58mm-f1-2-lens-patent.aspx/#more-48960

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:05 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #8 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I had the 50L when I had Canon. It was a very nice lens, when the AF actually hit.

Which it (very) often didn't.

Switching to Nikon with the D700 and the 50 1.4G was a revelation - it hit virtually 100% of the time and I challenge you to pick 1.2 shots out from 1.4 shots on a regular basis. I'm curious why you feel you need AF, especially for these types of shots

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

The Sigma is the best. The bokeh is excellent, and it's actually a tad sharper wide open than the Nikon.

Kent in SD

Dec 10, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #10 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I had four 50L1.2 lens's in my canon days none of them performed well at all. IMO probably the worst L lens they make.

My 1.4g is a money maker and it is pretty sharp. Plus ill never have to get it re-chipped

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoadconePhoto
• •
p.1 #11 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

modern cameras dont give you the correct DOF preview under 2.8 and at 1.2 that dof is VERY shallow so trying to manually focus is a guessing game. also, i shoot different types of motorsports from time to time and I see no need to manually focus because.. well its almost 2013 and theres no reason i should really have to.

as for the 1.2 not hitting focus, you're the only person i've heard of not raving about the lens. A photographer i know down in atlanta LOVES his and he actually shot with a a LOT during a 3 day event i shot with him and i dont believe he had any autofocus issues with it on his 5DII.

I wish there was a camera shop locally that was worth a crap I'd just go try them both out but all I have local is Wolf Camera and they looked at me like i was a martian when i asked about a 35 f/1.8G 6 months after it came out.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:28 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #12 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

Well, with many cameras people change the focusing screens so that they can accurately manual focus fast lenses and are quite happy afterwards. If you want to only AF, that's fine, your preference and some folks don't have a choice. Some activities like sports and fast moving subjects, no question you're going to get a lot more keepers using a properly set up AF camera. Or if you have poor vision or it's failing.

I'm sort of amused that you haven't heard of focusing issues with the 50L though. When I shot Canon, and frequented a Canon forum, there was widespread and worldwide wailing about focusing issues with Canon in general and the 50L in particular. I had the 24L, 50L, 70-200L, 85 1.8, and a bunch of other glass, and I fine tuned it properly, and I still got so many misses on shots I really would have liked to have been keepers. My Canons focused very fast and very unreliably. Many unhappy users on the forums told similar stories, or how the 5DII was so great but only the center point actually worked reliably, or how you had to buy 1D series to get real AF.

I switched to Nikon and with the same techniques it was a whole 'nother world of accuracy - pretty much any misses I felt were my fault, so I got to work on improving technique instead of wondering whether buying a full pro body would finally get me reliable AF.

It sounds like Canon has improved their game with the latest round of bodies, which is great. But not in time to avoid losing this customer.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:58 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

The pics the OP posted here don't show me much more than my 50mm F1.8G would deliver. Why not try the new 50mm F1.8G?

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:54 PM
DontShoot
• • •
p.1 #14 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

You want something really exotic in this range? Try looking for a 58 1.2 Noct-Nikkor

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:45 PM
RoadconePhoto
• •
p.1 #15 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I have a 50 f/1.8D and while yes its similar it does NOT have the same feel to me. it also has some annoying Coma. I may just buy a 1.4G and call it a day.

Dec 12, 2012 at 01:58 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I just upgraded to the 50mm f/1.8G AFS -- excellent lens!

Dec 12, 2012 at 04:10 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

lxdesign wrote:
I just upgraded to the 50mm f/1.8G AFS -- excellent lens!

+1 If you like that lens, then try the new Nikon 85mm F1.8G also.

Dec 12, 2012 at 05:26 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

I have the 85 as well, and the 28.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:53 AM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

Two23 wrote:
The Sigma is the best. The bokeh is excellent, and it's actually a tad sharper wide open than the Nikon.

Kent in SD

Hey Kent, I agree. I just got the Sigma 50 f1.4 from BuyDig, and this lens is simply insane!

effie

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Which fast 50mm for Nikon?

Voigtlaender 58mm f1.4 - real FL is more about 60mm, which paired with f1.4 gives quite shallow DOF.

Otherwise you would need to get a bit longer lens for best subject separation. 85mm f1.4 is probably cheapest and closest solution (not Nikon obviously ).

Switching to Canon doesnt have point. 1st - 50L is really expensive 2nd - SA robs it of quite a bit of DOF so you end with something like f1.4 but with much nicer OOF (and more blurred). But still more DOF.

Sigmalux is nice "all-around" solution for this, while having AF. I would maybe wait and maybe they will release improved variant soon (something like their new 35mm f1.4).

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password