New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

williamkazak
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

I just installed the trial version of DXO Optics Pro 8 on my Windows XP machine. Of course, LR 4 would not install the trial version on that OS. I would have to upgrade the OS to try it. I am wondering what I might like to do about choosing one or the other program. I am using LR 2 and Photoshop CS 3, right now. It seems that I could get LR 4 and a new OS for the same price as DXO. Playing a little with DXO tonite, it seems real nice and not too difficult to understand. Any thoughts on DXO? I did not see a "fill flash" adjustment for DXO nor did I see a way to apply the exact same corrections to the very next raw file as I can do in LR.

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:57 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

I used DXO 7 for about a year and was quite pleased. Until I tried LR4. I was pretty blown away with what I could do in the same amount of time. I am not saying you could not process with both and achieve the same result, but I had far better results in less time with LR4. Was it the different workflow, the adobe camera raw module, or something else. Don't know but I haven't looked back. I did not bother to upgrade to DXO 8 which may be better than 7. For me, its LR4 all the way. Sorry I do not have a better comparison but thought my comments might help you decide. As far as fill flash, LR lets you make local edits which can include exposure. I haven't gotten the feathering part down to avoid abrupt transitions, but recently discovered luminance masking in photoshop which is amazing for those modestly backlit faces.

Dec 10, 2012 at 08:33 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

I use both LR4 and DXO. I just upgraded to DXO 8 and I like it a lot. The smart lighting works well as do the exposure adjustment sliders. There are individual sliders, like LR, to adjust whites, blacks, shadows and mids. Of course, the lens profiles are much better than LR and most of my lens/camera combos are covered. I recommend upgrading your computer to a 64 bit OS as DXO is now a 64bit program and the speed difference is very noticeable.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:49 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

I use fill light in LR2 all of the time for tweaking people pics. In DXO, I noticed that under DXO smart lighting, there is an intensity slider. That seems to raise all of the light and is not exactly fill light. Is that correct observation? Also, how do I make the exact same correction on the next pic in DXO as I did on the previous one? In LR, that is easy to do. Also, in DXO, what is the Lens Softness box for? I don't see how the bokeh slider changes anything.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

To make the same changes, either right click and create a preset you want to use on future photos, or just choose copy settings on the right-click menu, move to the next pic, right-click and paste settings. AFAIK, lens softness is for the lens profile, if one exists, for your photo. If one does not exist, or not installed, you should use USM sharpen, but never both. I also noticed that the bokeh slider had minimal impact. Check DXO site on that one. To add fill light, play with the lighting sliders, such as shadow or blacks. YMMV. I am used to DXO and feel more comfortable with it than LR. I do not like that I have to import before I can work on a photo.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

Thanks for the report. The copy/paste works great. I did not want to create a pre-set as the pics are too varied and I won't be repeating the event. I still don't know where the shadows/blacks exposure settings are. What slider category? However, I do see exposure compensation/smart lighting categories. Under DXO smart lighting, the intensity slider seems to be a fill of sorts but also seems to raise the entire scene.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM
gse53
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

I am not at my computer so I cannot tell you where they are for sure, but open all the lighting menus with the small triangle. You will find it. I have a dual monitor setup with all the tools laid out, fully open, on the second monitor. I do the same in CS5. Very easy to work and the first monitor has more room for editing the photo.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM
jrfx

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

After I adjust some settings, dxo 8 produced the best color IMO, better than LR4 or DPP for _MY_ taste. However I agree some LR4 tools (such as fill-light) has better results than dxo8. YMMV.

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:02 PM
gse53
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DXO Pro 8 vs. LR 4

William,

The sliders are under selective tone. See page 30 of the manual
See page 26 to learn about smart lighting and page 44 to learn about lens softness. The bokeh slider reduces artifacts in the blurred background, which explains why we cannot see the result unless we are zoomed in tight. I am going to try that tonight. If you do not have the manual, you can download from their site. Worth the trouble.

Good luck

Dec 10, 2012 at 02:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.