Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · BW Candid

sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · BW Candid

appreciate your thoughts
Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    EF50mm f/1.4 USM lens    50mm    f/2.0    1/125s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:17 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · BW Candid

Looks like teen angst to me!

On the picky side, the digital noise has patterns, especially in the upper left.

Dec 10, 2012 at 03:24 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · BW Candid

Scott,

I agree with Karen re teen angst.

Comments - getting him to cooperate is a plus, a nephew I assume? From the Exif, well done for such low light plus f2.0 & 125 sec. IS?

Processing & nits - perhaps some selective NR? My first thought was SEP 'grain' but now suspect noise. To me, the fine dark area of his mouth is too dark - distracting, as is the brighter area on the shirt/jacket. Focus appears to be on hair, not eyes but in that setting and lighting, who is to quibble?

Candid - how did you arrange for the side-lighting? Nicely done. And, the requisite 'sharpen the eyes comment And you've tactfully handled the blemishes retaining a touch of 'reality'.

What does/would he think? I like his being engaged in the image - your people skills at work

Regards,

Bob

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · BW Candid

selective noise reduction in LR (I never have used this)
Bob,
I added some grain, did some selective sharpening of eyes, lips, but perhaps not enough.
No IS.
He is my wife's nephew. He was trying to listen to some Paul McCartney on my iPhone. While we were in a lively bar. Family get-together the night before my wife's step-father's 90th birthday/pig roast (That's North Carolina style BBQ)

Karen,
Thanks.

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2012

Dec 10, 2012 at 05:04 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · BW Candid

Perhaps remove the noise and add a layer of actual film grain, overlay blended, a dose of vignette, a mid-tone bump reduced to 50%, a gamma bump, and some selective sharpening?

Dec 10, 2012 at 06:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · BW Candid

Off the beaten path for me, but how about something like this?

Play in LR - cyan/yellow split tone, twweaks, etc...

Regards,

Bob

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · BW Candid

Karen, Bob
I like both of these re-processed efforts.The cyan/yellow tone is not something I would have considered. I think it works well here. And the clean up Karen did makes a more appealing presentation.
Thanks!
Scott

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:57 AM
xopowo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · BW Candid

Hi Scott,
I don't think the placement of the hands helps this image, they distract from the face and maybe are too abstract (especially the one on the right)? I think there are some blown highlights there, maybe that is what I am reacting to. The white area (between arm and chest?) at center I think is distracting. Focus is a bit soft. I hope this helps!
Best,
Todd

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · BW Candid

Thanks Todd.
Appreciate the careful look and comments.
I was surprised that the focus was as good as it was! Never shot before almost wide open in super low light/high ISO.

Scott

Jan 15, 2013 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password