New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

kentvinyard
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

Just purchased a new 27" iMac and have nikon view nx2 and nikon capture nx2 loaded but would like to know what I would gain or lose with Apple Aperture 3? Is aperture easier to use?

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:49 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

Well, I guess no one has used both to give me an idea of what to expect.

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

I used Aperture 3 and switched back to Lightroom 4 however what both of these offer over Capture NX2 is ease in library management. I'll admit I only used NX2 briefly with a trial and some swear the color reproduction is better. I couldn't live without the cataloging in Aperture or Lightroom.

You didn't ask about LR4 so this isn't a campaign. Reason I switched back is Aperture continued to give me spinning beach ball of death even with 16 GB of RAM.

Dec 14, 2012 at 08:41 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

Aperture 3 is an incredible app for anyone who has spent time working in a real darkroom. If you prefer a "wizard" approach - go with Lightroom.

Aperture has a great brush system that allows you to mask curves, coloring, sharpening adjustments, etc without needing to make PSDs. LR has some brush things as well.

I'm a canon user and prefer apples raw decoding over adobes - but In general, it seems nikon raw files may shift hue a little in blues and greens compared to NX2.

Aperture used to have a trial - look for it - It might not be available anymore now that aperture is app store only.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

matthewbmedia & lasportsman thanks for the comments. I have been digging and digging for answers and it seems that people are split an liking aperture and light room. I really like the way Nikon view NX2 works but have found capture NX2 to be a little clunky for me, but then I'm no computer wizard either. View NX2 just doesn't do everything that I need sometimes. I think I will wait till after the first of the year to see if aperture 4 shows up and maybe give it a try. Thanks again guys. BTW I tried light room before and I just couldn't get used to it.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

I agree to see if aperture has a trial. Lightroom does.

I also agree there are things I prefer in Aperture's interface but there were a few quirks I didn't like as well as crash issues that I don't have with LR4. I think both are better than NX2 because of the catalog feature.

Dec 15, 2012 at 01:14 AM
kentvinyard
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

I don't know what you mean about crash issues. Is there something I need to watch out for?

I plan on keeping Nikon view NX2 to convert raws to jpeg as it works very quickly on my computer. Then I can do further editing with aperture 3 (or ap 4 if it comes out)

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

If you are using LR or Aperture, you should not convert from Raw to JPEG, since it undermines a key feature of both programs. The idea is to have only the one original image (RAW) and apply edits that are stored in the catalog. You then export images as needed for use outside the application. This could be a JPEG for web use for example. If you ever need to go to PS for advanced editing, it returns as a TIFF, so in that case you get a second copy of the file.

I used to use NX2 for the raw conversion on certain images, since the Nikon conversion used to be significantly better than Adobe. That is no longer true.

As for your original question, ALL software is easier to use then NX2 . Some disagree but not many. The one thing I miss from NX is the adjustment points, however LR has some editing features that are somewhat similar. I have not tried Aperture.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

My iMac is a 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 with 16 GB of RAM. I haven't used Aperture 3 in a year so they may have resolved it with updates but I would get the spinning beach ball of death and have to force close the program way too frequently. When LR4 came out, I downloaded a trial and eventually switched even though that involved pain in redoing photos I had edited. I did use LR2 so I had experience with Lightroom.

Either program is vastly easier than NX2 and I'm glad to hear from mhayes5254 that the gap has been narrowed or eliminated in Adobe's RAW conversions and NX2's. Even when NX2 had superior conversion it wasn't worth it for me to pay NX2's price for a handful of photos that I didn't like Adobe or Aperture's conversions.

If you want to compare LR4 and Aperture there are plenty threads you can search on FM. If you choose Aperture, I strongly advise to use referenced masters vice a managed library. You can also search that for more information. If I had chosen managed library, my conversion to LR4 would have been much more painful. As it was, I was simply out $89 bucks for Aperture.

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:14 PM
bclimey
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

I have both systems, I brought NX2 about 5 years ago and Aperture last year. I had lessons on Aperture but do not like it. I find the u point technology on NX2 to be the best dodging and burning tool out there. Yes I know I can buy it from Nik, but as I have it with NX2 why should waste money on duplication?
I find using NX2 on my 27 Mac with 8GB and 3.2 processor to be fast enough for my images.

Dec 15, 2012 at 07:37 PM
mdelrossi
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · aperture3 vs nikon capture nx2

I use all three.
I keep raw files as is and only process what I need for my clients.
Each one has their strengths.
Capture NX when I want ultra fine control out of the Raw file, it's nikons own software so they should have a better handle on what their files should look like. I also like the U-point corrections.
For most of my stuff I stay in Lightroom it's good enough for 80% and quick edits. I like their develop module better than Aperture, but it is a bit of a clunky program.
Aperture I use since I started with it. Also for sending images to my iPad and phone, it's just easier.
YMMV
Good luck

Dec 18, 2012 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.