Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Limpkin

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Limpkin

Hello everyone,

Looking for comments & critique for this one, especially regarding the yellowish leaves to the left of the bird, the small patch of sky appearing on the top, and the white 'blob' to the left of the bird: do they distract too much? Should I clone any of them out?

ISO 320, 300mm f/4, 1/1000 sec

Also, what do you think of the first one compared to this next one? Which one do you prefer?

ISO 220, 300mm f/4, 1/1000 sec

As always, feel free to edit them as you please.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Limpkin

Both very good shots. I think I prefer the 2nd but its a close call. Rather than clone out the places you mention, why not darken or lighten them without total removal?

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Limpkin

There's more than one way to contend with distractions. Cloning them out is one. Tweaking on the saturation, color, value, contrast, sharpness/blur, etc. can help minimize those distractions also.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Limpkin

Sharp, good color, & Composition. My only suggestion would be separation between subject & background through mask & blur. I tried it and hopefully this demonstrates what I related to..

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Limpkin

Pretty much in agreement with the others. The elements you mentioned in the first do need attention and oldrattler has provided one effective rework. I would not trouble myself to clone but to tone down.
Second is quite nice. I might add a bit on the right where it feels a bit too tight
Sharpness and detail in both, choice of aperture are excellent.

Scott

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Limpkin

The first has a better pose, the second has better light. For the first, consider some PP tweaks:

(mtb = mid tone bump (USM at 16,60, 0 faded to 50%)

Dec 10, 2012 at 01:31 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #7 · Limpkin

Thank you all for the feedback.

Ben, Kent, you're right, don't really have to be as radical as cloning, some dodging & burning might just do the trick.

Oldrattler, thank you for the example. I don't really think I'll add the blur to the background (it's a personal thing), but the way you handled the yellowish leaves to the left of the bird (by changing colors and exposure I guess) is fantastic and I'll try to emulate it.

Scott, the second image is pretty much all I have - after "untilting" it, I lost most of the negative space to the right of the bird...

Karen, really nice treatment to the image, thank you for the example!

Once again, thank you all for the feedback.

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password