Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · has B&W exclusively a chance on the market?

heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · has B&W exclusively a chance on the market?

RDKirk wrote:
I disagree (o:

Dec 27, 2012 at 01:42 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · has B&W exclusively a chance on the market?

heikoM wrote:

I say that good black and white does not lose its power next to color.

You disagree with that statement. So are you saying that black and white is an inherently inferior medium such that even good black and white cannot stand up next to color?

So why would anyone want to specialize in an inferior medium and expect clients to pay top prices for it?

Dec 27, 2012 at 02:00 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.2 #3 · has B&W exclusively a chance on the market?

ups, doubble post...

Edited on Dec 27, 2012 at 03:33 PM · View previous versions

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:21 PM
heikoM
• • •
p.2 #4 · has B&W exclusively a chance on the market?

good argumentation,

I think b&w in the presentation on a computerscreen is when vieved next to vibrant color often inferior. It is more subtle, needs often more time to resolve itīs message and layering. It is not as "loud" as color.

At least I need often a bit of time to accomodate to b&w, when I take my time and let the picture sette in it is much more powerful.

In my opinion a b&w image has the ability to preserve itīs magic for a longer time, Color images often start to bore me, the longer I watch them.

Not few of my favorite images went through the transition from color to b&w. First I was very happy with them, loved the color, the nice rendering of the color-tones and the mood. But the more often I saw them the more they lost their fascination. Once I converted them to b&w (with the addition of curves, grain etc) I again started to love them.

This happened with whole weddings. The link at the treat start (www.schmidt-weddingphoto.com/destination-wedding-black-and-white/) is such a wedding. First I had most of the pics in color. With time more images went b&w until at last I felt the few color pics left simply disturbing and I made the whole reportage b&w...
(This whole process was simply my own experimentation, the clients didnīt get involved)

If this makes any sense,

heiko

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:33 PM
TheGE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · has B&W exclusively a chance on the market?

heikoM wrote:
Do you think a business concentrated exclusively on b&w has a chance?

I believe a few years ago, Kevin Swan started a B&W only wedding photography business. Maybe you can research how that went. Other than get an idea from what others have done, the only way to really know is to do it.

Of course when I say do it, I don't mean simply make all B&W photos, but do the whole marketing yourself as a B&W photographer.

Dec 27, 2012 at 03:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password