Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 2012 HS Hockey - Lewis-Palmer at Ralston Valley

Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 2012 HS Hockey - Lewis-Palmer at Ralston Valley

So, I scouted the APEX ice rink earlier in November because it is like 5 minutes from my condo to get an idea of what I would need to have to shoot in there. The ceiling is silver, and the lighting is real good for a high school venue. I could shoot easily at ISO 1000 and get a 1/640th shutter speed, but I was going to strobe. I figured with the silver ceiling, two strobes would be fine bounced. Shooting in my old high school hockey arena in Alaska, 4 strobes for half the ice was a necessity, 6 strobes for full ice coverage. Well, I made two mistakes. One was bringing just two strobes. I should have brought all 4. My other mistake was bringing my sports reflectors to bounce with instead of the standard reflector. I bounced the strobes, but with the narrow beam from the sports reflectors, my fall off was behind the goal to about midway between the near blue line and mid ice. I will probably take 3 strobes next time. bounce two with standard reflectors and point a third down ice on a different channel with my 300 on that camera for down ice. It was the first of many games I will shoot at this arena, and with the exception of one shot, I was happy with the results. These are all the 7D with 70-200 or 1DII with the 24-70 shot above the glass on a step stool.

1. Stick hand glove save

2. Standard glove save

3. Home team student fans

5. Another glove save (got a lot of this goalie....like 42 shots on him and he let 8 get by)

6. this is the shot I was not happy with....see how the ice gets darker under the diving player...full size, ambient has creeped in and he is all motion blurry....with a long lens and a strobe pointed down ice, it would have been a killer grab....

7. Home team goalie did a lot of skating around giving me lots of nice portraits of him....I think he had two shots taken on him all night....home team, Ralston Valley won 8-0

8. near the end of the game I re-aimed one strobe to cover a bit more of the area behind the goal, but lost mid ice totally...

I will post CU/CSU hoops tomorrow and photos from a two day stint shooting 4 high school hoops games a day.....busy week...

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:29 AM
mdalby
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 2012 HS Hockey - Lewis-Palmer at Ralston Valley

Wow, very busy week Carl.

Thanks for sharing. I would like to try hockey sometime.

Dec 09, 2012 at 10:38 AM
hilo90mhz

Account locked
p.1 #3 · 2012 HS Hockey - Lewis-Palmer at Ralston Valley

Beautiful set, Nice work Carl.

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password