Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Inside Passage Alaska

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Inside Passage Alaska

The angled version seems to denote layering more so than the horizontal version. It works here and I prefer the former.
Douglas

Dec 12, 2012 at 03:27 PM
scottinash
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Inside Passage Alaska

Nancy,Darren and Douglas, thanks for the feedback.
Scott

Dec 12, 2012 at 08:39 PM
UgashikBob
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Inside Passage Alaska

Scott:
My preference is the original but the final decision depends on whose wall it rests on because it is definitely a wall hanger. I made that trip many times when I worked in Juneau and you have definitely captured part of the magic of the area. The dark threatening sky combined with the reflected deep blue of the sky does the deed. Well done
Would a layer mask with brightened shadows allow you to bring out more detail in the dark portion of the mountains while still preserving the dark tone of the water and clouds?

Dec 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

scottinash
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Inside Passage Alaska

Bob, thanks for your kind comments and advice. I did attempt to bring out the mountains and no matter how I worked it the details always seemed too over processed looking to keep. Not sure if it's related to some limitations in he 50D's sensor that I was shooting with, maybe that I was on a ship and shooting freehand without any stabilization, shot the image in L jpeg instead of raw, or the most probable reason that I'm far far from a processing pro.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:01 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Inside Passage Alaska

First, Scott, it's a lovely image.
True- that is a false horizon line, but it goes completely across the picture, so imo it deserves some consideration.
I suggest that you forget about the reality of the scene, and concentrate on the "perceived" reality. i.e. which would "right" in the eyes of a non-photographer looking at the print on your wall?
Just my $.02 .
Charlie

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM
scottinash
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Inside Passage Alaska

Thank you Charlie. I appreciate everyone's feedback in that I have come away considering different viewpoints, some great advice from far more experienced folks, and too be honest, I really enjoy the dialogue with those who love photography.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password